Author Topic: Cam sensor issue?  (Read 2665 times)

Offline YGspider

• The Turbo Geek
  • Turbo Street Limited
  • PSI: 0
  • 87 Turbo T
    • View Profile
Cam sensor issue?
« on: October 31 2013, 08:23:51 PM »
Has anyone ever heard of a cam sensor that wouldn't spin the oil pump? How would this happen? I've seen a few threads about this issue but what would cause this in the cam sensor to not provide the drive for the pump?
Stratman: Is it even running?

Offline earlbrown

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 6
    • View Profile
Re: Cam sensor issue?
« Reply #1 on: October 31 2013, 09:49:32 PM »
if the tang on the bottom of the cam sensor sheared off it would fail to drive the pump.

Other than when it happened to me, I've never heard of it happening.  In my case, it was a result of running it so hot the driven oil pump gear welded itself in place and locked the pump up.
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline PacecarTA

• Turbo Street Limited
  • PSI: 2
  • im not a newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31 2013, 10:35:11 PM »
if you shear the roll pin that holds the cam gear on

the gear will spin and wont spin the sensor shaft which is what drives the oilpump

the pin can break with age as its  flexes and spits in half and then falls out
or it could shear  off if the pump sucks up some thing that locks up the oilpump gears
and even though the pickup has a screen it also has a bypass valve and if it is covered with crud the bypass  will open and you could suck up debris (like nylon teeth from a stock tiing set) which could jam the pump

an improperly assembled oilpump could also cause the pump to lock and  result in a sheared pin ,  but that should be discovered when you prime the motor  by spinning the oil pump shaft through the cam sensor opening   
Paul   Magnabuick.com ..NJ rep
86GN pump gas 93/alky 109, iron heads, stock mains, no girdle  9.72 @139
best 1/8 6.13 @ 112 ,best mph 144
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSKzv7ej7Cc
87 GN TTop 109 ,93/alky , 9.82 @ 139 20.6psi , best 1/8th 6.18@113.2
87 GnX'd 
87 GN TTop..stock as can b

Offline YGspider

• The Turbo Geek
  • Turbo Street Limited
  • 87 Turbo T
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31 2013, 11:30:35 PM »
The engine has perfect pressure but with the cam sensor it has almost no oil pressure. I never ran the motor either. The cam sensor its self looks a little tired so I'm ordering a new one. It was just weird that with the cam sensor in I had almost no pressure.

Offline earlbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01 2013, 01:32:35 AM »
So you have oil pressure on a drill, installed the cam sensor, started the engine and had no pressure?
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline YGspider

• The Turbo Geek
  • Turbo Street Limited
  • 87 Turbo T
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01 2013, 02:06:07 AM »
The engine was on a electric Dyno and had perfect pressure with the Drill. Then we installed the cam sensor and poof the oil pressure was non existent. 

Offline earlbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01 2013, 02:11:38 AM »
That means it's good from the oil pump down. (assUming the pump shaft is the correct length. Longshot that it's not).

Look at the bottom of the cam sensor and make sure there's a flat drive tang somewhere around flush with the bottom of the gear.

Offline YGspider

• The Turbo Geek
  • Turbo Street Limited
  • 87 Turbo T
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01 2013, 10:15:22 AM »
The bar on the inside of the gears was intact and all was connected as I seen the top of the sensor spin with cap off.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal