Author Topic: Dropped the trans off today...  (Read 18053 times)

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 234
    • View Profile
Dropped the trans off today...
« on: July 30 2011, 05:10:54 PM »
I need to make sure the transmission is the LAST thing I have to worry about.

Julio Don (AKA Razor) lives locally, so I asked him for a recommendation, and he gave me name. Called him last week,and dropped it off today. It was about a 2 hour drive each way, I had arranged to borrow a friend's trailer to brig it down there. When that fell through I threw it in the trunk of the Caddy and took it there. The air suspension does NOT like having that much weight in the trunk, but all went well. Guy has a really nice shop - I told him I want basically a bulletproof street transmission, I don't see myself taking it to the track much. He's building it for a bit over 500HP, so I shouldn't have to worry about breaking it.

It was my spare trans, which had been gone through not too long before I shelved it, so it shouldn't be too bad. I know it's getting a hardend stator, billet forward drum, a mix of Alto and Borg Warner clutches, and a Trans Go kit. Possibly a billet servo too.
'87 GN, 60lb, TA49, THDP, FTP cam, T+ lots o' shit - SOLD
'07 Ford F150 Lariat 2WD, 5.4L 3v - 255k
'20 Kubota BX2380. FEL, 60" deck
'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy
'99 Kawasaki Bayou 400 4x4

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Dropped the trans off today...
« Reply #1 on: August 01 2011, 07:22:05 AM »
When I spec'd my transmission I contacted Mike Ridings in New York...one of the finest transmission builders there are. I basically told him I needed the trans to hold up to mid 11 passes all day off the foot brake. The three hard parts he recommended were the pump stator tube, sun gear shell and the forward drum. I drive my car all over the place and pound the shit out of it at my local track on Saturday nites...with zero issues. Attach the biggest B and M trans cooler you can find to the cross bracing in front of the rad...it'll keep your trans nice and cool...and extend it's life.
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01 2011, 08:25:28 AM »
Thanks. I plan to do just that with the cooler.

Did you use both the stock and aftermarket cooler?

I was thinking running the fluid Trans > OEM radiator cooler > B&M plate > trans.
'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01 2011, 08:59:29 AM »

I was thinking running the fluid Trans > OEM radiator cooler > B&M plate > trans.

Go straight to the external cooler...two reasons. Do you really want all that shit sitting in the trans portion of the cooler to get pumped into your new trans when you fire it up? How clogged up and wore out is the trans cooler portion...so how much cooling is it really gonna do? I run a trans temp gauge in my car cuz I'm trashing on it at the track on a regular basis...and it stays as cool as a cucumber with the external cooler.

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02 2011, 10:41:48 PM »
Got  call from the tranny guy today - not good.

Apparently the guy that rebuilt it last time was a moron - no names will be given. (This is my spars trans, not the one that came on the GN I just bought)

They used nuts to load the accumulator, only installed 1/2 of a 10 vane kit, it was missing a governor spring, direct drum is trashed (because of the accumulator/nut combo) they had used JBWeld to secure the wiring harness/plug to the case, I put MAYBE 2k on the trans and the band is done - they weren't Altos like I paid for, etc and so forth.

It's getting a modified Trans Go kit, new pomp, direct drum, billet forward drum shaft assembly from Scott McClay, rollerized park gear, rollerized low/reverse clutch housing, Alto red clutches, some Borg parts, and all the standard replacement parts.

Going to run me about 1500 total, seems fair to me.

Still pissed about getting fucked on the first rebuild - but it was a long time ago, time to move on.
'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02 2011, 10:50:13 PM »

Go straight to the external cooler...two reasons. Do you really want all that shit sitting in the trans portion of the cooler to get pumped into your new trans when you fire it up? How clogged up and wore out is the trans cooler portion...so how much cooling is it really gonna do? I run a trans temp gauge in my car cuz I'm trashing on it at the track on a regular basis...and it stays as cool as a cucumber with the external cooler.

I asked him about this Scoob.

He agreed with you. I mentioned I had seen a post that linked to PTC or Pat's (can't remember) that said to use both - he said it was a waste.
'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02 2011, 11:47:48 PM »

Apparently the guy that rebuilt it last time was a moron - no names will be given. (This is my spars trans, not the one that came on the GN I just bought)

They used nuts to load the accumulator, only installed 1/2 of a 10 vane kit, it was missing a governor spring, direct drum is trashed (because of the accumulator/nut combo) they had used JBWeld to secure the wiring harness/plug to the case, I put MAYBE 2k on the trans and the band is done - they weren't Altos like I paid for, etc and so forth.

It's getting a modified Trans Go kit, new pomp, direct drum, billet forward drum shaft assembly from Scott McClay, rollerized park gear, rollerized low/reverse clutch housing, Alto red clutches, some Borg parts, and all the standard replacement parts.

Still pissed about getting fucked on the first rebuild - but it was a long time ago, time to move on.

Sounds like what happened when I bought Norbs transmission.. .and this was no fault of Norbs. The shop that built it for Norbs originally fucked up large. When I had my tranny guy take it apart to freshen it up...the other place had screwed up so much stuff inside that I had to get another 200 trans from Norbs that he had laying around to use for parts.

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02 2011, 11:54:20 PM »

Sounds like what happened when I bought Norbs transmission.. .and this was no fault of Norbs. The shop that built it for Norbs originally fucked up large. When I had my tranny guy take it apart to freshen it up...the other place had screwed up so much stuff inside that I had to get another 200 trans from Norbs that he had laying around to use for parts.

Yep.. I was hoping I wouldn't have to take another trans down there.
'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03 2011, 05:39:01 PM »
Parts ordered. Wheeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeee
'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy

Offline Pyro6

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03 2011, 06:10:14 PM »
I agree with Scoob fwiw. When I do trans coolers for customers that tow, I bypass the rad and go with a bigger cooler than what I think it needs. I always felt it was better to eliminate the 200 degrees the coolant contributes.

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03 2011, 06:35:03 PM »
I agree with Scoob fwiw. When I do trans coolers for customers that tow, I bypass the rad and go with a bigger cooler than what I think it needs. I always felt it was better to eliminate the 200 degrees the coolant contributes.

he mentioned that in cold climates - using them in series may help the trans reach operating temp faster - but not needed here in sunny Florida. :)
'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy

Offline Pyro6

• PSI: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03 2011, 06:53:11 PM »
I would rather overcold a trans than overheat it.

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03 2011, 09:41:58 PM »
Steve from Pat's emailed me back - $200.00 plus shipping to restall the converter.

Again.. Wheeeeeeeeeeee eee (That's the sound of my wallet getting thinner)
'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy

Offline $1987 GN$

• PSI: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03 2011, 10:48:04 PM »
Steve from Pat's emailed me back - $200.00 plus shipping to restall the converter.

Again.. Wheeeeeeeeeeee eee (That's the sound of my wallet getting thinner)

I thought you got married a little while ago?

AJ___

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03 2011, 11:09:29 PM »
Har har har...  :P

She likes the Buick, and doesn't mind me spending money.

We keep our finances separate - I learned my lesson about that from my first wife.   :013:
'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal