Tech Area > General Buick Tech

DS Exhaust Header Gasket Replacement

(1/2) > >>

kjhansen:
I have a very noisy exhaust leak coming from the driver's side header. Examination with a mirror didn't show any rusted out holes or broken welds in the header. The gasket did appear to be coming apart under the pipe nearest the firewall. Anybody done this (with the engine in the car)? Any instructions? For example, do you have to move the AC compressor to get enough clearance to pull the header away from the engine? Can you reach the lower bolt nearest the firewall from up on top or do you have to jack up the car and get underneath? Can you move the header far enough away from the head to clear the studs without disconnecting it from the collector to do so?

xracerx13:
Its been so long. I think one of the bolts is for the alternator bracket and that bracket may have to come off. All of the bolts, I removed from the top. I popped off the crossover pipe first and it cam off real easy back in 1989 :-) Yeah real long time ago. A header leak from a cracked header sounds like a ticking sound meets a farting sound like this icon  :068:

kjhansen:
Thanks for the input. With the encouragement, I went ahead and did it. I did have to jack the car up to reach a couple of the lower bolts, but technically it was a simple job, although time consuming. I do work slower now that I'm in my 70s. Lots of breaks too, what with the hot weather here. But it's done and made a huge difference.

reality:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fel-1400

I'm not sure what gasket you are using but the black graphite looking gasket will blow after 1 full boost.

The 1400 will handle high boost.

I remember being in my 70's LOL

Tim Hensley:
this is why I quit using gaskets I keep 2 sets on the shelf. last time I went to the belt sander made sure it was flat. cleaned the head with 120 and a sanding block. took and smeared high heat RTV on the header supper thine, went in the house got me a peanut butter sandwich and a large glass of tea, returned after I washed the plat refiled my glass and reinstalled the header. 3 year and 6 thousand miles no problem

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version