Tech Area > General Buick Tech

Update on future build

<< < (2/56) > >>

phil_long:
I love the responses. Thanks guys!! Wherever I can save money I will, but I don't plan to cut corners due to pricing. I know how to tune through the stock ecm, as I will aim for a "safer" target for AFR. My goal isn't the track at all, but I don't want to open my motor up again for something more because I want more. As I've always said, I prefer to overbuild and go from there. I definitely plan to invest wisely into the fuel system, going with a bigger pump and better fuel lines. 

Tim Hensley:
Need to send your stock intake to Champion and have it ported to match your Champion heads.
If your not racing it , I personally think you have to much rocker arm ratio. And what roller cam?
I agree with Steve , can’t beat the 6.1 chip.

Steve Wood:
Good point, Tim.  I wondered about the 1.75 rockers as well.  Seems like that might be hard on the valve train for a street car.  I am assuming that someone recommended the combination to him?

A couple of years ago when William Avila decided he wanted to go really fast, he was running a 6.1 chip.  I was helping him tune via long distance.  I think he was still running a 6262 turbo, or maybe one step bigger.  Roller cam was something in the range of the 214s as I recall.  It was the first one he bought when switching from a flat tappet that was not working well.

When he passed about 10.4 times, I refused to tune long distance anymore because I was afraid  I would cause it to blow up.  He just put the chip on the defaults as Eric had burned them and kept turning the boost up.  As I recall he was around 10.2 or maybe a little quicker at the end of the season.  At that point he was out of turbo.  The next year he was running a MegaSquirt and a local guy that was learning to tune Buicks was helping him.  He made it into the lower Nines with bigger everything.

At the moment he is running 8.80s right at 150 mph-still on a stock block.  Of course bigger and bigger on the parts.  Pretty sure he is running E85 as well.  I am amazed that the drivetrain has held together.  Transmission is a Turbo 350 and a Ford 9" rear.

All it takes is money and more money and the drive to go faster every time you hit the track.  My opinion is that these cars stop being fun when you get out of the tens (Okay, Dan, I will give you 9.90s. LOL)

phil_long:
Yeah, the 1.65 rockers were recommended by Bison, who's also doing the cam. After the cam is done, I'll update the thread on the exact specs of it. Would sending the stock intake in to be ported be cheaper than buying a new one? Also, I'm assuming I'll need at least a 62mm throttle body? 

I definitely want to keep it simple. My goal is to run out of turbo. I plan to get a converter spec'd as well, but that'll be after the build of course. 

William's car sounds incredible. Lol. I'm not sure I could enjoy a car that fast.

Steve Wood:
I don't know about the plenum.

I think most go to 70mm throttlebodies with a three inch hose assuming you are using an innercooler with a three inch outlet.

I believe the converter is the key to any good running Buick.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version