Author Topic: On to transmission fluid/filter change. What's the best plan?  (Read 2446 times)

Offline Chrisssssssss

• Bone Stock
  • PSI: 0
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
Hope no one minds me asking so many questions. But I like to post my experiences just to document them for anyone else that may have the same questions.
So this is where I'm at... time to do tranny filter and fluid change. I heard it was best to leave a good amount of your trans fluid so it doesn't shock the system and cause problems with it being too clean and decided on this https://lucasoil.com/products/transmission/2012-11-05-17-14-3 and also grabbed a bottle of this https://lucasoil.com/products/problem-solvers-utility/lucas-oil-automatic-transmission-fluid-conditioner as a preventative measure additive. Any thoughts on this product or have a better alternative?

I picked up the Fram filter and gasket kit ###### as that was what was available not a huge Fram fan but it will do. Came with the trans pan gasket so I dont have to order it separately. Should be fine.

I'm gonna put the oil change bucket under the trans pan and line around it with cardboard and newspaper in case there is any splash or spill any tips or tricks on doing it? Should be straightforwar d.

Will be probably doing it within the next day or two.

Thx Chris 86 GN

Offline ULYCYC

• Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 4
    • View Profile
Re: On to transmission fluid/filter change. What's the best plan?
« Reply #1 on: October 28 2020, 07:54:14 AM »
Stay away from all those snake oil additives. Just use your basic  Dextron 2/3 trans fluid.  You can do a 50/50 mix with type F trans if you want a firmer shift.   Also try and find a better filter like Wix.  If you cant find it then almost anything is better than Fram. When you drain the fluid drain it all. No need to to figure out how much to drain out  since the converter and internals hold back around 6 quarts anyway.
ED BAKER
87-T, Maplight equipped rear view mirror..
01 Park Ave Ultra S\'charged
BPG#1458

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28 2020, 08:04:56 AM »
I agree with Ed. Stay away from the 'cool guy' stuff...and let 'er drain.
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #3 on: October 28 2020, 09:33:40 AM »
You need to ask before you buy.  Wasting money on snake oil is simply that.

Make sure you do not leave a rubber seal from the filter up in the body when you change filters.
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline earlbrown

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28 2020, 03:48:24 PM »
Knock a hole in the back of the pan so the fluid can drain without giving your an ATF shampoo.  Then weld or solder a nut over the hole for a drain bolt in the future.

I like Dexron VI.    Has the firm shifts like type F but has the temp handling capabilities like Dexron III.

...and on that Fram filter, run a bead of The Right Stuff around the sealing crimp to keep it from sucking air and/or fluid around the filter media.
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline Top Speed

• Don't Tread on Me
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01 2020, 09:51:35 AM »
My original trans builder put Type F which worked fine but fluid turned dark quickly.  About 8 years ago I began using Dexron VI.   Same performance but fluid looks brand new after years of use.
Champion Irons w/T&D roller rockers, TA-61 turbo, 206/206 Comp Cam,  57 lb/hr Siemens Injectors, 3000 stall PTC, PTE Plenum w/RJC Power Plate, 70 mm Accufab Throttle Body, RJC 325 Megacooler, TurboTweak 5.7/ Alky Control w/M1 methanol, 23 psig on the street, Puddn' Power engine, Borla Exhaust

Chris

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 1
  • So, This black car is fast?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03 2020, 02:28:55 PM »

Go to the home center and get one of these. Way cleaner than a small pan and card board though I'd use the card board regardless. It is in the mortar section under mortar mixing tub.
It even has a preformed hole to hang it on a nail in the garage wall after you clean it up when you are between uses.
Rich

"Goals without actions are just dreams."

Offline Chrisssssssss

• Bone Stock
  • PSI: 0
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08 2020, 02:49:11 AM »
Did the trans fluid and filter change. So far so good. Thanks for the advice! Now onto the next thing... looking at ecu/tuning options. See separate post.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal