Tech Area > General Auto Tech

Mopar swap

(1/6) > >>

Steve Wood:
my son brought his '72 Plymouth Satellite wagon up the week end that started all the quarantine rigmarole here back in March.  We pulled the 150 hp 318/transmission out of it.  He made a trip up a couple of months ago and we installed time serts into all the exhaust manifolds on the 440 that were either stripped, or semi stripped as they go thru into the water jacked. That was a bit of a pain in the neck but we gotta her dun as they say.  We also installed new valve springs and seals.  I have a 440 that has been sitting in the shop for years since I pulled it out of the Challenger and dropped the 526 in it.

I hope the damn thing is still okay.  It does not seem to be rusted up.  I am not sure about the Torqueflite 727 that goes on the back of it but, again, it was working when it came out.

He came up again last week end and we dropped engine and tranny in, rebuilt the steering coupler and reconnected the steering box that I got resealed in hopes of fixing a power steering leak.

Now, I have to get under the car and pray that all the bits and pieces that I bought will allow me to figure out how to get a column shifter to work with a 727 as it was not an option.

Then I will rewire it using a GM HEI ignition module and a Crane/FAST E type coil.  I will power the module directly from the battery via a relay that is triggered by the ignition switch wires that originally went to a cursed ballast resistor.  The Mopar box is in the trash.

He bought a serpentine two belt system that hopefully he can figure out how to install LOL   It cost the same as trying to find all the correct factory pulleys in the correct combination.  The brackets and stuff that came off the 440 moved over to the 526 so I had nothing there.

The headers were not too bad of a pain.  The driver's side was tedious because it had to pushed up into place but not bolted down until the starter (driver's side) was then inserted and bolted down and then the headers got installed and the engine finished lowering into place.

Once I get the column shift working (hopefully), then I will install a cable set up for the TV valve that will work with a Holley.

It was a hot week end but I mainly handed him wrenches, told him what he was doing wrong, warned him about his attitude, and/or laid under the car and steered the tail shaft.

I need to measure the driveshaft and get a new one made that will probably be about 5" shorter as best I can figure from looking at specs, but I would not yet bet on it until it gets measured.

Shimy87:
I love the "warned him about his attitude" line🤣🤣🤣  good times!!

Steve Wood:
I'm getting mellow in my old age :030:.

daveismissing:
Time with your son is always great, sarcastic repartee not withstanding :)

Scoobum:
Very cool! A few pics of the exterior/interior would be great.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version