Tech Area > Knowledge Base Articles, Submissions, and Comments

Launching A Drag Car-Baselinesuspensions.com

(1/3) > >>

Scoobum:
Sniffing around and found this article:

http://www.baselinesuspensions.com/info/Launching_A_Drag_Car.htm

Steve Wood:
yes, Kevin has some good stuff.  I think Jason has some of his stuff.  Strangely, I have not seen much improvement over stock suspension on the Buicks which is strange as G bodies have a lousy instant center.  Seems like dropping the front of the upper control arms should load the rear tires better.  Maybe we are just not fast enuf.

good2win22:
I have his uppers. He has a really neat calculator for plotting instant center.  http://www.baselinesuspensions.com/instant-center_general.php

You'll need to lower the rear of the car to get the lowers parallel or get some relocation brackets.

The door slammer book is a must read for suspension education.

I don't have enough time at the track to really fine tune my car. Someday along with a million other things....

TexasT:
A lot goes into getting a car to hook well and hook with consistency. Front end plays a lot on it too.

Scoobum:
Because I have the IQ of a house plant it forces me to keep things simple and think as little as possible...so this is what I did...and it ain't very scientific.

I had Dan Keller come out and videotape my car from the back DS rear quarter when I launched the car. What I saw on the vid was this. The rear was coming down...bottomi ng out and then coming back up again...and unloading the back tires...basica lly shifting the weight to the front of the car to quickly. I had cheapass 90/10 Lakewoods on the front and Lakewood 50/50's out back.

I bracket race the car and leave the line at exactly 2800 each time to keep the car on it's 'dial'. My solution was this. I swapped in a pair of QA1 single adjustables on the rear. I went to a Mix and Match nite at my local track. It's poorly attended...so I have the track to myself...while the locals are busy swilling Timmies coffee and scarfing down donuts...and wondering why they can't do what I do. Get off yer' arses and get out and practice. Anyway, I went out on the track with the knob set on 3 from the lowest soft setting and left at 2800 RPM. I kept going out and kept upping the stiffness until I got my best 60 at 2800. I increased the RPM and kept going out unti I hit the 1.5's. I know exactly what RPM to leave at and what shock setting to achieve a desired short time with my car. Track temp and tire pressure play a role as well...and I have a temp gun I check the track with before I go out for each run. Not scientific...b ut it works for me. I have an old skool ATR rear bar and Metco rear billet lowers. Springs front and rear are stock with the stock front sway bar in place.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version