Tech Area > Car Stereo and Electronics

6x9 rear speakers

(1/3) > >>

xpander343:

Hey guys.  I'm looking to install a set of 6x9 speakers I bought years ago for the buick.  They seem to be bigger than the last set I bought and won't fit with the adapters and the rear truck rods.  I'm thinking if I cut a a horizontal slot on the front side of the rear deck where the seats go they should bolt flush to the rear deck.  Is this how other people are doing it without using the adapters?  Tried looking for pics of other setups but not much luck.

Forzfed:
On my 85 T-Type I carved out the portion going into the back seat and just installed it that way.  On my 87, I didn't want to cut up the rear deck so I used the adapter plates.  The trunk rods have to go, I think.  Just remembered I have had the same stereo installed in my 78 Sports Coupe, 85 T-Type and 87 Turbo-T.

earlbrown:
If you're not scared to cut sheetmetal that's the best way to do it.   Just make sure you choose speakers that have fairly flush tweeters so they don't interfere with the deck cover.

It's a pretty easy install, just make the cuts, use the trunk rods to hold the speakers in place then use sheetrock screws to mount the speakers from the bottom.   Since they're hardened, just grab 'em with pliers and snap them off flush with the deck.

It's untelling how many back decks I cut up back in the 90's when I was in the stereo bidness.

That and cutting out huge chunks of foam from the seat back to less the bass in. :D

That being said, if you're going to have a box in the back I recommend running a midbass with a tweeter on a plate.   That will work and sound better when done right.  I've never been a fan of egg shaped speakers when they can be avoided.

Forzfed:
I thought Nasty Wendy was the audio car installer?  Didn't know you did that too, Earl.

I have 6x9 subs and 2 8" subs in a box.  I have a set of tweeters in the back deck.  Mids in the door and tweeters in the dash.

Steve Wood:
just replace that unused rear seat with a box and good speakers and amps

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version