Tech Area > Transmissions

external transmission cooler

(1/7) > >>

1KWIKSIX:
My radiator only has 1 useable cooler / heat exchanger in it now. When I last had my radiator re-cored some years ago, I was told that one of the internal coolers in the rad tank was damaged beyone use. So, I have been using the one remaining internal cooler for my oil lines.
My transmission lines go to an external air cooled transmission cooler which is mounted in front of the radiator fins.

I am changing over from my stock D5 convertor to a 10" PTC 2800 Stall L/up unit and am concerned about extra temps / higher heat in the transmission fluid.

Am I OK the way my set up is now? I do understand that liquid is much more efficient at cooling. Or, should I invest in a new radiator with both tanks & route my transmission lines into the radiator end tank cooler / exchanger first, then have this feed the air cooled transmission cooler which would then go back into the transmission?

This is a street car / driver and track use would be very limited (if at all).
Car is stored in winter and will not see cold weather driving conditons.

Just looking for some guidance or insight on this subject.

Thanks,

dave

Steve Wood:
after reading a lot, I have changed my mind (no, I did not trade it in)a few times.

As long as it is a decent sized cooler, it should be fine as it is.

Engine oil should be a minimum temperature for best results whereas tranny fluid does not need to warm up to work correctly according to all the material I have seen recently.  Therefore, let the coolant warm it up and let the tranny fluid see the air.

I doubt that a ten inch, lock up will generate very much more heat than the factory converter except when racing-then it will probably get a bit warmer.

I always get a tranny cooler rated over 20,000 lbs which is one of the larger ones and I prefer the plate style like B&M sells rather than the finned ones like Permacool sells.

Charlief1:
From what I've read the 10" should run cooler than the stock one, but as Steve pointed out, get the plate style cooler to make it more efficient. :)

SuperSix:
I have a weird one i got on eBay = I'm using it as a trans cooler - now I am getting suspicious of the in-rad oil cooler (trash in it). May start looking for an aftermarket oil cooler.

Lower right...

Top Speed:
Picture of my new setup.  B&M transcooler w/fan.  I also have the  10" PTC 2800 Stall L/up.  Have not driven it yet.  More to come...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version