Author Topic: USING ACDelco R43TS plugs for mostly stock car w/alky? Or is there better?  (Read 2382 times)

Offline Chrisssssssss

• Bone Stock
  • PSI: 0
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
Hey all ,

Always used R43TS plugs on my car but I now have Alky system. Is the R43TS still my best choice? The guys at my local parts store says that they show the R44TS as the listed plug for the 3.8 Turbo. I always used the R43TS plugs so I told him that's what I want. Doing a comprehensive search about spark plugs online and here just mainly opened up more confusion because there are so many options and opinions but no real solid tests or evidence supporting the results. Just peoples butt dyno saying one is better than the other. 

I have used iridiums in the regal GS Supercharged and Reatta with so far good results. How do they work with our engines and boost levels?

Last of all... I noticed that I got 2 different manufactured ACDelco R43TS plugs... ones made in the US and ones made in China. They look similar however there is some substantial differences in the plugs and it got me wondering what the differences actually are between the two. I asked the guy at the parts store (on the phone) if they had any other US made ones in stock because I explained to him that they were slightly different and he said that they should be manufactured to the same specs and shouldnt be a difference and "in the 25 years I have been doing this i haven't had to warranty a ACDelco plug due to manufacturers defects..." well... maybe because the previous ACDelco units were made in the US and the new ones are a product of China. Who knows. In my opinion looking closely at them side by side the US ones looked to be make of better metals as they had a more solid and copper look to them unlike the Chins built ones looked a bit less quality in the materials. Hard to explain but I did see s difference. Maybe before I put them in I will bring them back to them and ask the guy before I say anything to look at these two identical plugs and tell me what you see andnyournopuni om of which he thinks is a better plug just based on appearance. See what he says before i point out what the difference is. Has anyone compared between the two? Should I ask other locations if they have any if the US stock to send me them and return the China units? I have 2 US and 4 China. Would it hurt to mix them?

Just wondering.

CHRIS 86GN with Alky and 5.7TT chip

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
I used CR43TS exclusively... but only from my friendly GM dealer. I raced pretty much every weekend spring to fall for 15-17 years. I had zero issues with them. Gapped them at a tight .030. They'll take you up to 25 PSI. You'll need a 42 from 26 PSI on up.
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline earlbrown

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 6
    • View Profile
 "in the 25 years I have been doing this i haven't had to warranty a ACDelco plug due to manufacturers defects..."

He hasn't been paying attention then.   I've had bed Delcos out of the box in my GN, my slant 6 and my old Blazer.

Switched to NGKs (like I should have done since day one since I was a service manager at a bike shop) and never looked back.

Even my lawn more runs NGKs (and it helped)
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline Chrisssssssss

• Bone Stock
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
Ya
 I'm starting not to trust these guys there I just get a deal thru them so I go. They are also the biggest chain in my area so that's what I'm used to. But they have no clue what a turbo Buick is.

So as an NGK plug, which one would be the best one to use? I'm gonna keep the Delco ones and then try the NGK ones too. A TR6? Does that sound right?

Offline earlbrown

• View Profile
Start with UR4s.   They cross over to both 42s and 43s.
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline Chrisssssssss

• Bone Stock
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
Ok  I will. What about iridiums? I found that they smoothed out the idle on my 3800 n/a reatta and the 3800SC Regal GS. How do they work w turbo Buicks?

Offline earlbrown

• View Profile
Gimmiky plugs work like shit.

The heat from full boost (and/or some detonation) melts the puny electrodes on the expensive plugs.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal