Author Topic: Stock Header removal  (Read 10635 times)

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 0
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
Re: Stock Header removal
« Reply #30 on: March 15 2020, 08:47:17 PM »
The gasket under the turbo the triangle one is key. Pretty much all of them leak a little at the bushing for the wastegate flapper. Once warm it should leak a little less.

High BLMs are telling you the computer thinks there is an air leak in the system somewhere between the maf and the o2 sensor. Once the exhaust is sealed - reset the computer and then let it relearn and see where you are at. You've just got to keep at it and you'll find the cause of all your issues.
Thanks for the info
Once I fix the exhaust leak i'll check again for air leak with the smoke machine.
When I built the smoke machine I found 7 air leaks including the throttle body vacuum block

87 GN T-Top, ScanMaster, hot-wire kit, Full Throttle chips w/ matching 60# injectors, adj. fuel pump, and triple pod gauges w/ AEM A/F gauge, oil pressure gauge, vac/boost gauge, Kenne Belle rear seat brace, upgraded tranny w/ Art Carr pan cover, and a pre-lube oil system.

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 17 2020, 04:19:51 PM »
Pitted...just like Scoob said. Buick owners love to struggle.
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 17 2020, 04:50:59 PM »
Pitted...just like Scoob said. Buick owners love to struggle.
other than replacing the pass. header, is it best to apply some hi temp copper gasket sealer on the header flange and use Remflex graphite flange gasket, or just use Remflex graphite flange gasket?
I just added this thread; I'm going to use a palm sander with medium paper to fine sandpaper just to remove the pitted area, and then use the Remflex graphite flange gasket
« Last Edit: March 17 2020, 08:21:09 PM by gnonyx »
87 GN T-Top, ScanMaster, hot-wire kit, Full Throttle chips w/ matching 60# injectors, adj. fuel pump, and triple pod gauges w/ AEM A/F gauge, oil pressure gauge, vac/boost gauge, Kenne Belle rear seat brace, upgraded tranny w/ Art Carr pan cover, and a pre-lube oil system.

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 18 2020, 10:22:03 AM »
All you had to do was call Jason at RJC and had him fire off a gasket to you like Scoob mentioned in reply #3. Like Grumpy says...You can lead a horse to water...

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 1
  • So, This black car is fast?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 18 2020, 04:28:14 PM »
Is the flange flat? Get a straight edge up on it and see.

If not you need to get it somewhat flat or it wont seal. Pitting will get taken up by the red rtv. warped flange, not so much.

Get a local machine shop with a big belt sander to give it a once over to flatten it out.
Rich

"Goals without actions are just dreams."

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #35 on: March 19 2020, 10:48:18 AM »
I concur strongly in taking the headers to a machine shop and having them true up and resurfaced on a belt sander.  If they have been welded, then I consider it pretty much imperative.

I used to almost never use a gasket.  It seems that it has become standard these days and a paper thin coat of high temp is suggested.  Copper high temp spray probably works as well.

I have never liked Remflex header gaskets.  I am not familiar with flange gaskets, tho.
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 19 2020, 12:13:17 PM »
I concur strongly in taking the headers to a machine shop and having them true up and resurfaced on a belt sander.  If they have been welded, then I consider it pretty much imperative.

I used to almost never use a gasket.  It seems that it has become standard these days and a paper thin coat of high temp is suggested.  Copper high temp spray probably works as well.

I have never liked Remflex header gaskets.  I am not familiar with flange gaskets, tho.
Hi Steve,
I appreciate your advice, but as of now the ds header is already installed with Flex-pro gasket and hi temp copper spray on the header side. I do have Remflex header gasket which is very thick and claimed to compress once the header is tighten down to eliminate any little wrap if any.
Right now I'm working on the pass. header turbo flange which has a little of pitted on them. I'm going to try to use a palm sander and smooth it out apply some thin coat of Permatex Grey gasket maker rated temp of 700* and then put Remflex flange gasket. After all is installed and connected I will do another iar leak test to is if nay leaks are present.
I'm in the middle of working on our home, and also repairing the GN.
I will post back with results

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 19 2020, 02:07:59 PM »
I don't know how hot the header/joint becomes, but, exhaust gas temps on my cars run around 700 degrees at idle and 1400-1700 at wide open throttle.  Personally, I would not use the gray stuff, but, it might last.  I don't like the RemFlex because I have had them blow out on regular cars.  They seemed to relax and then the exhaust gas burned it's way through to freedom and ruined the gasket.  I realize some swear by them so I guess it might be 50-50

I used a thin coat of high temp and let it set over night to seal pits before cranking the car and prefer a thin FelPro because I think it will not relax as much, but???????  Opinions are a dime a dozen and we can always find one we like on the 'Net.  It's kinda like a lottery.  I find that it always can be done over again if one is highly motivated :D :D :D
Steve Wood

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 19 2020, 06:56:36 PM »
I don't know how hot the header/joint becomes, but, exhaust gas temps on my cars run around 700 degrees at idle and 1400-1700 at wide open throttle.  Personally, I would not use the gray stuff, but, it might last.  I don't like the RemFlex because I have had them blow out on regular cars.  They seemed to relax and then the exhaust gas burned it's way through to freedom and ruined the gasket.  I realize some swear by them so I guess it might be 50-50

I used a thin coat of high temp and let it set over night to seal pits before cranking the car and prefer a thin FelPro because I think it will not relax as much, but? ??? ???  Opinions are a dime a dozen and we can always find one we like on the 'Net.  It's kinda like a lottery.  I find that it always can be done over again if one is highly motivated :D :D :D
You're right, many swear about product being good while others claimed the opposite.
What is your opinion on RJC turbo header gasket: https://rjcracing.com/product/gaskets/   
This 3 bolt Milam gasket goes between the Turbo and the header. We specifically designed this gasket to provide a leak proof seal. Most other gaskets even the copper ones leak at this junction. 2 versions available. .63 turbine .83 turbine
I'm assuming my stock engine is a .63 turbine?
Thanks
« Last Edit: March 19 2020, 07:00:53 PM by gnonyx »

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 19 2020, 07:01:25 PM »
good
Steve Wood

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 19 2020, 07:35:20 PM »
You'd have to find someone that raced every weekend spring to fall with that RJC gasket to get their opinion on it.

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 20 2020, 07:31:23 PM »

P.S. I’m taking a chance of just finished palm sander the turbo flange, before totally removing and have it done by a machine shop.
Before and after pictures of the turbo flange

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 1
  • So, This black car is fast?
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 20 2020, 09:10:33 PM »
That turbo oil drain sure changed shape.
Rich

"Goals without actions are just dreams."

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 20 2020, 09:47:01 PM »
That turbo oil drain sure changed shape.
For some reason when I uploaded the photo it rotated 180* and also there was still the original factory turbo oil drain gasket still attached. I had to used a double edge razor blade to remove it, as if the factory used some type of epoxy resin.
« Last Edit: March 20 2020, 09:54:19 PM by gnonyx »

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 21 2020, 12:16:28 AM »
I never saw one with any type of sealer on it...strange
Steve Wood

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal