Author Topic: Alky Kit ordered  (Read 17381 times)

Offline phil_long

• F47
  • Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 0
  • ...far from avg
    • View Profile
Alky Kit ordered
« on: July 31 2018, 05:15:38 PM »
Wish me luck gents. I'll keep you posted on install and results.

Offline Forzfed

• PSI: 5
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
Re: Alky Kit ordered
« Reply #1 on: July 31 2018, 06:35:13 PM »
Good Luck!  You'll wonder why you didn't do a long time ago. :cheers:

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 1
  • So, This black car is fast?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31 2018, 07:35:50 PM »
Best advice I have is keep the alky tank topped up.
Rich

"Goals without actions are just dreams."

Offline gusszgs

• Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 1
  • Limited quick brick
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31 2018, 08:06:48 PM »
Every time I park my T, I routinely open the hood to allow the heat to escape........ .I leave the hood up all the time. When I'm ready to go for a drive, I habitually go over a number of things under there.....one of those items is to top up the Meth tank. Close hood, look for Fedora hat, Caridgan sweater and pipe
Jim
1987 T Limited

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #4 on: July 31 2018, 09:38:18 PM »
Phil is moving to the dark side!
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31 2018, 09:50:24 PM »
Ah yes...alky. Fond memories...qui ckly followed by the 2-3 shift slipping like a whore.
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline BoostedRPS

• Bone Stock
  • PSI: -1
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31 2018, 10:51:20 PM »
Every time I park my T, I routinely open the hood to allow the heat to escape........ .I leave the hood up all the time. When I'm ready to go for a drive, I habitually go over a number of things under there.....one of those items is to top up the Meth tank. Close hood, look for Fedora hat, Caridgan sweater and pipe

Do your subscriptions to the New Yorker get automatically delivered to the passenger seat of the car so that you have reading material while you contemplate your next stock purchase?

What's it like being a history teacher in New England? Are the wine and cheese socials still as lively as ever?

Offline phil_long

• F47
  • ...far from avg
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01 2018, 08:39:33 AM »
Yeah I figured the most important thing would be to keep the tank topped off. I think I'll let my gas tank get lower than the Alky. Lol. I had buyers remorse immediately after the purchase, but I'm hoping that it subsides sooner than later. The fedora hat is always within reach :rock:

Offline Top Speed

• Don't Tread on Me
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01 2018, 08:49:39 AM »
Did you get a chip as well?
Champion Irons w/T&D roller rockers, TA-61 turbo, 206/206 Comp Cam,  57 lb/hr Siemens Injectors, 3000 stall PTC, PTE Plenum w/RJC Power Plate, 70 mm Accufab Throttle Body, RJC 325 Megacooler, TurboTweak 5.7/ Alky Control w/M1 methanol, 23 psig on the street, Puddn' Power engine, Borla Exhaust

Chris

Offline phil_long

• F47
  • ...far from avg
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01 2018, 09:19:19 AM »
Nah....I'll tune through the chip I have. I plan to keep the timing low right now anyways. I'll get more aggressive when I get the 02's worked out.

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01 2018, 07:36:53 PM »
Eric incorporates different fuel and timing curves to his alky chip along with a few other things. It also has more timing in it for alky. If you have a volt booster...it'll make the alky pump run harder which richens the AF.

Offline BoostedRPS

• Bone Stock
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01 2018, 08:15:40 PM »
Eric incorporates different fuel and timing curves to his alky chip along with a few other things. It also has more timing in it for alky. If you have a volt booster...it'll make the alky pump run harder which richens the AF.

OP- what chip do you have?

A volt booster will not richen your AFR, unless your engine was being starved for fuel because the fuel pump was previously not putting out it's rated flow, due to a drop in voltage.

If you have a hotwire kit and a good fuel pump, your fuel flow should be close to what the fuel pump is rated to put out.

If you add a volt booster, and it simply raises the voltage to the fuel pump, the fuel pump will flow more fuel, however your fuel pressure regulator will simply be returning more fuel back to the tank, since you have not changed the amount of fuel required by the engine. You have only increased the available fuel supply. Since that fuel supply is not all needed, more of it will now be sent back to the fuel tank in the return lines.

The only way your O2's / AFR will become richer when you install a volt booster, is if you had a poor electrical system that was starving your fuel pump for amperage, PRIOR to putting the volt booster on the car. If you had a bad electrical system prior to the volt booster, and your engine's O2s /AFR were lean because you were near the limit of what the pump could supply, adding the volt booster will cause an increase in the O2s / AFR because your engine needed more fuel than what the low-flowing fuel pump with the voltage issue, could supply.

Fuel Flow from an electric fuel pump is directly related the voltage and electrical wires attached to the pump.

Things like the Kenne Bell Boost-A-Pump work by increasing the voltage to the fuel pumps, which increases their outputs by upwards of 50% sometimes.

For example, a DW400 at 13.5v at 80psi puts out something like 325lph, but at 17.5-18v at 80psi, it puts out about 465lph... that is actually MORE than a 680lph double pumper that uses those Racetronix/Walbro/Aeromotive 340lph fuel pumps.

Those 340's are so shitty, that at 80psi they drop to something like 220lph-ish. That means that two of them at 13.5-14v will only be supplying 440lph-ish...

Just some food for thought next time you want to spend $800 on a brand new double pumper setup...instea d of like $500 on a DW400 and a BAP, and actually have better performance...

;)

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01 2018, 08:20:44 PM »
Eric says a volt booster will richen the AF...not me. Do a search on his forum.

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #13 on: August 01 2018, 08:54:45 PM »
Julio is the one that does not like volt boosters.  He has said upon several occasions that he has seen cars lose a tenth with a volt booster.

The problem is that the alky pump is not voltage regulated and the pump jumps up in flow appreciably when the voltage surges and over richens a properly dialed in system and reduces the engines output power because the programmed curve is no longer being honored.  YMMV

As far as the fuel pump in the tank is concerned, output often increases 15-20% per one volt increases.  If the regulator responds instantly. the engine does not know it.  Volt boosters were popular in the old days because we did not have fuel pumps that had the flow of modern alternatives.

These days, cars with good alternators and batteries do not benefit from volt boosters as long as they have have a decent fuel pump.  Red Armstrong's burned up a few alternators, I remember that.
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline BoostedRPS

• Bone Stock
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01 2018, 09:02:10 PM »
Eric says a volt booster will richen the AF...not me. Do a search on his forum.

edited:

If the return line and fuel pressure regulator are free-flowing and have little-to-no restriction through them, then the engine should theoretically not have a fatter AFR. If the fuel regulator or the return line is not able to freely move the volume of flow provided by the pump, that fuel is now restricted in its' movement, and begins to "back up" as it experiences a flow restriction. The fuel becomes stuck in the fuel rail and needs a place to go. The more it is stuck in the fuel rail and increases the backpressure/flow restriction, the more pressure builds in the fuel rail.[/size]High pressure fluid always wants to move to a low pressure environment, so when an injector opens up, providing a low pressure cavity/space for fuel to move through, the fuel that is backed up in the fuel rail tries its' best to make its' way into the injector and into the now low pressure space. Basically the fuel tries to force itself into the injector because it sees it as an available space to move to that has lower pressure and is not restrictive (unlike the fuel rail the fuel is currently in). This reason is why I always suggest people upgrade their fuel rails. NOT because aftermarket fuel rails can flow anymore fuel than the stock fuel rail, but because the aftermarket fuel rails allow you to use much larger fuel pressure regulators, which can flow way more fuel through them! A new high-volume fuel pressure regulator and a new high flow return line will help prevent any backpressure / flow restrictions in the fuel system, which also will aid in the longevity of the fuel pump and help to provide a more accurate fuel system as a whole.
« Last Edit: August 01 2018, 09:50:16 PM by BoostedRPS »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal