Author Topic: US gasoline?  (Read 3085 times)

Offline Forzfed

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 5
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
US gasoline?
« on: July 27 2023, 04:13:25 PM »
I know we have discussed this before.  But how much percentage of ethanol does your gasoline have and does it vary with States?

I was watching this one guy called Scott Kimler saying don't waste your money on premium.  I would agree with him years ago.  I have noticed a drop of 4 mpg in my gasoline Colorado.  I changed the O2's, map and did a combustion cleaning and still got the same milage.  Once I put some premium in I got my milage back.  I didn't have to fill it with premium, all I needed was about 30% premium to get my milage back.

Thoughts?

Offline reality

• Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 0
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
Re: US gasoline?
« Reply #1 on: July 27 2023, 05:28:16 PM »
My thoughts on this is:
 I agree with Scotty, on most cars premium is a waste of gas.
If your car is tuned for regular,-- high test 'could'' lower the mpg,
There is a fine line between too much and too little timing, what works for 1 is not necessarily good for the other,
There are more BTU 's in regular than high test and diesel has more BTU's than regular.
Modern flex fuel vehicles can adapt to the fuel used so high test may yield better MPG's with high test but without doing the math I don't know if high test is cost effective.

Offline xracerx13

• NOT
  • Turbo Street Limited
  • First Methanol Kits
    • View Profile
    • Joe Tripodi's 1987 Buick Regal Limited T
« Reply #2 on: July 28 2023, 09:11:00 PM »
Just walk away and leave the gasoline...... and I will give you safe passage through the waste land.  :rock: Just walk away and end this horror !   :D

"The Great Humongous"
Joe Tripodi 87 Limited T
TA49@25psi, Axis w/chip, LS1 MAF, 60lb Inj, Comp 980s, BGC 23r SLIC, Jay Jackson 62mm TB, RJC PowerPlate, Walbro 307, volt boost 15.8V, Type II ign, Race tranny, 2800 stall, 3" THDP, Pypes 3" SS/Dynomax Ultra-Flos, Meth Inj staged 2 nozzle M5/M10, SS Lift bars, MT ET drags.

Offline Tim Hensley

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31 2023, 01:31:42 AM »
 AZ and Hawaii was not more than 10%. It may take more fuel with ethanal. You will probably use more fuel as the percentage goes up.
Premium prevents knock,I never look at the price of premium(91) to the price of regular (87) I do know cost of a Crank and rod bearings and that cost is a lot more. If I'm concerned about how far I can travel on a gallon of gas I drive my wife's Subaru. But when I drive My Buick I don't care about the cost of 91 how much I use or even  the cost of 275/60-15 tires.
I watch one of Scotty videos. You might want to stick around here for car advice.
If you have interest in keeping you rod bearings in good condition run 91 and to get the best MPG keep as much distance as you can between your foot and the carpet as possible.
I did watch Engine masters episode 81 before pressing post. looks like I'm dummer then I though I was. But I will keep buying 91
Arizona GN109 forged rotating assembly
DLS 210-210
Champion irons
Extreme Auto stage II trans and converter

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #4 on: July 31 2023, 09:16:53 AM »
I cannot watch a Scotty without my shill alarm going off but hell we voted for Biden (and Trump) so why not Scotty?

That Engine Masters (and most of the other shows) was interesting.  It's one of my favorite shows.

Ethanol infused gas has made a lot of corn growers rich beyond their dreams and they donate tons of money to keep it going.  Biden was trying to up the percentage but it ain't good for cars that are not well equipped to receive it.  More voodoo.  If the incentives are ever removed, we shall find out just how economical and good it is.
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline daveismissing

• Two Buicks- too little money$$
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • Two Buicks- too little money$$
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17 2023, 09:18:24 AM »
I thought on the Canadian side that even the premium now has corn in it. Maybe the former Petrocan's that still pump 94 octane might be an exception
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline Forzfed

• Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24 2023, 06:09:21 PM »
I cannot watch a Scotty without my shill alarm going off but hell we voted for Biden (and Trump) so why not Scotty?......

I agree!  How is burning more fuel better for the environment?  They should have said, economy!  Thankfully, there is no ethanol in diesel.

I thought on the Canadian side that even the premium now has corn in it. Maybe the former Petrocan's that still pump 94 octane might be an exception

You are correct, even the high octane has ethanol in it but I think it is only 5% compared to E10.  Still not good.

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24 2023, 11:53:32 PM »
Ethanol was a boon thrown to the midwestern corn producers and the big plants that processed it.  The subsidies that were thrown their way could have gone a long way toward cleaning up the refinery industry and making us permanently self sufficient.  Canada and the U.S.  have far more in reserves than any projected demand estimate for many years.

Instead, we need to have a suicide wish to put all our future in the hands of people that are not, and have never been, our friends.
Steve Wood

Offline 1KWIKSIX

• Turbo Street Modified
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25 2023, 03:40:18 PM »
If I’m not mistaken , marina gas is still ethanol free 🤷‍♂️
Don’t mind some ethanol in my premium gas while I’m driving the car in the spring / summer, however have always run a tank of Shell 91 V plus (which was ethanol free) but is no longer . Would fill up the tank with this ethanol free gas for winter storeage .
Gonna be checking out Marina gas very shortly

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26 2023, 09:26:57 AM »
Down here, marina gas is quite expensive compared to ethanol.  I saw a private brand gas station in San Angelo that had a sign advertising an ethanol free gas pump.  I meant to stop in and check it out but forgot on my way home and now I need gas which is .30 cents higher here than in Angelo.  I hate pumping gas these days.

I have learned to use ethanol free gas for my chainsaw, etc. tools that have oil in the gas.  I saw a sign advertising VP 50-1 mix the other day that had 5 gallons jugs and the price was $120.  I then realized that by the quart or gallon it was a heckuva lot more expensive.  The cheap off brand is like $36 per gallon.
Steve Wood

Offline Forzfed

• Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28 2023, 04:42:28 PM »
I always used ethanol free gas in my lawnmower and try to run it empty or put some stabilizer in it.  Last winter my neighor's snowblower wouldn't run and of course there was lots of snow and all the shops were backed up for a month.  So, I ended up pulling the carb off and cleaning it.  You could smell how stale the old gas was.  He was using E10 87 octane.  I told him from now on don't use it.  Then this summer my new neighbor's lawnmower wouldn't run.  Same thing bad gas that gummed everything up.  I could keep it running by using my hand as a choke, as soon as I removed my hand it would die.  I told them I would show them how to clean the carb but they paid someone to do it.

Offline nocooler

• Administrator
  • PSI: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28 2023, 06:52:08 PM »
I run e10 in all my lawn equipment. The key is you can’t let it sit in the bowl of the carbs or anywhere air can get to it. Put a manual fuel shutoff valve on the feed and use that to shut down the equipment if it’s going to set for long periods of time. If the tank doesn’t seal you’ll have issues with the e10.
If it sets for more than a year then I might have to drain the tank and put some fresh in.
IhaveaV8

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal