Author Topic: Turbo Tech  (Read 58853 times)

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 1
  • So, This black car is fast?
    • View Profile
Re: Turbo Tech
« Reply #15 on: July 06 2018, 09:24:11 AM »
As far as the ess slingin' you certainly ain't the first and assuredly wont bet he last. That board has a history of protecting venders, deleting posts and the like. It might not be like that any more but it sure feels like it. And perception is reality.

As posted, keep up your fine work. No one likes it when their apple cart gets overturned .

There is a reason we as a group hang out here and not there.

As a side note you should sent a note to mark(supersix) or no cooler and get yourself a banner ad.
« Last Edit: July 06 2018, 09:42:07 AM by TexasT »
Rich

"Goals without actions are just dreams."

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 0
  • No man lives happily lest he remove the boredom
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 06 2018, 11:15:40 AM »
NOBODY is up to Nick.s standard so I would not worry about that.

Turbo Buicks and psychology sure seems like a contradiction to me.

Butting heads with the competition is expected in a free market society all we can do is put it behind us and move on.

Just my thoughts for the day.
I considered the source first of all as that fella is "never" wrong and as always, make my own assessment.  I've butted heads with that fella before over what he says will work vs what was being used on a combo. I simply explained that a fella can skin a cat 12 dozen different ways but still have the same result... a skinned cat.  Different strokes for different folks... what works for you may not work for me analogy and left it at that.  I still read his comments and respect his experience but I probably won't have him over to the house to meet the wife and kids
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1982 Jeep Wagoneer Limited
1986 Grand National BLK PHNX
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 06 2018, 11:18:44 AM »
When you are done fixing the turbos and intercoolers - please fix the camshafts used in these cars.  I don't think there has been a fresh grind using modern lobes and valvetrain data in what... 15-20 years?

PS. It is time to march off the old guard of vendors.
I know xfi lobes are nothing new but I believe the grind on my cam is on target to make some serious power.
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline Grumpy

• Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 06 2018, 11:42:45 AM »
If you are going to be upset with every Tom, Dick, and Coattail Rider that lives on the Net, then you will have a miserable life.  Suck it up!  If a man is measured by the quality of his enemies, you have not even scratched the surface yet.

If such people were kissing your butt and praising you, I would have serious doubts about you LOL
Words of wisdom  :cool; :rock:

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • look at my balls... look at them!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 06 2018, 12:41:12 PM »
When you are done fixing the turbos and intercoolers - please fix the camshafts used in these cars.  I don't think there has been a fresh grind using modern lobes and valvetrain data in what... 15-20 years?

I know xfi lobes are nothing new but I believe the grind on my cam is on target to make some serious power.

Is it custom spec'd or is it another shelf grind from a vendor?  No cam is a one-size-fits-all for any application.  Shelf grinds are "close enough" solutions bought in bulk and sold on a snake oil premise.
>>>Das Instagram<<<
'80 LeMans Wagon|'87 Monte Carlo SS|'92 Camaro Z28|'07 TrailBlazer SS|'15 Colorado Z71|'19 Hellcat Widebooty M6

Offline Forzfed

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 5
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 06 2018, 12:49:32 PM »
Tyler--- Good write up!  Do you have any idea what size exducer a Turbonetics 6468 has?
Has this turned into a bashing thread?  I'm in!  Who are we bashing? :P

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 06 2018, 01:02:19 PM »

Is it custom spec'd or is it another shelf grind from a vendor?  No cam is a one-size-fits-all for any application.  Shelf grinds are "close enough" solutions bought in bulk and sold on a snake oil premise.
Custom spec'd and I'll be glad to share the cam card. Here ya go. Notice the duration is opposite of the popular Rev-x 210-215
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline reality

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 06 2018, 02:14:29 PM »
Cam shafts with certain numbers can vary vastly even within a given vendor. It depends on the individual application. 

Something like a dot tire not to be used for highway use

Offline earlbrown

• PSI: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 06 2018, 03:10:27 PM »
That board has a history of protecting venders, deleting posts and the like. It might not be like that any more but it sure feels like it. And perception is reality.

No kidding. I was told point blank I'd have no issues with my piston project by the administrator and the owner.  Since I wasn't competing with a vendor and bringing something new to the market,  I was even told I'd have interference ran for me and that he didn't want me to team up with a vendor.

Next thing I know I have to pay $500 to hand out free tech advice and sell pistons at cost.

Needless to say, that didn't happen.
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • look at my balls... look at them!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 06 2018, 03:22:52 PM »

Custom spec'd and I'll be glad to share the cam card. Here ya go. Notice the duration is opposite of the popular Rev-x 210-215

That is good to see.  I am mobile at the moment and cannot check the overlap - but... here's a neat tool to compare valve events with: http://www.cammotion.com/cam-timer

Obviously this doesn't account for lobe shape and ramp rates (factors impacting valvetrain stability) - but it does give you an idea if it is correct for the application.

Now take all those "classic" shelf grinds and plug them in... and I'd bet that between the antiquated theory they were ground against and the lobe profiles they are ground on that you'll discover some differences and issues compared to their contemporaries .
>>>Das Instagram<<<
'80 LeMans Wagon|'87 Monte Carlo SS|'92 Camaro Z28|'07 TrailBlazer SS|'15 Colorado Z71|'19 Hellcat Widebooty M6

Offline BoostedRPS

• Bone Stock
  • PSI: -1
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 06 2018, 03:37:13 PM »
If you are going to be upset with every Tom, Dick, and Coattail Rider that lives on the Net, then you will have a miserable life.  Suck it up!  If a man is measured by the quality of his enemies, you have not even scratched the surface yet.

If such people were kissing your butt and praising you, I would have serious doubts about you LOL

You are absolutely correct, Sir.

I try to keep the "this is the internet" mentality about myself as best possible. Being human, that does slip from time to time and I get erked more than I should. Typically whenever you see me take a day or two away from the boards is when I'm "centering" myself (I'm kinda a hippie at heart) and getting back to where I enjoy being.

I really look forward to this engine being built and showing what we can do. I think once people see a 1,500hp+ dyno sheet, they will realize we are serious about this and will be a force to be reckoned with.

NOBODY is up to Nick.s standard so I would not worry about that.Turbo Buicks and psychology sure seems like a contradiction to me.Butting heads with the competition is expected in a free market society all we can do is put it behind us and move on. Just my thoughts for the day.

Hahaha, Turbo Buick enthusiasts sometimes are the more entertaining people to interact with, from a psychological perspective. You have the "Starved for Attention" types, the "Needs to be respected" types, the "Follows the crowd" types, etc.. It is pretty fascinating having a medium that allows me to interact with people all across the country.

I learned after I got banned for calling out Full Throttle that this is not a game that plays fair.

Prior to that, I got a lesson in just how dirty companies will be when Full Throttle and Cruz called Champion Heads, lied to them about what I was doing, and caused me to lose the ability to sell Champion Heads. When my buddy accused Marianne Licht about it, she didn't even try to deny it. THAT was a BIG wakeup call.

[/size]
When you are done fixing the turbos and intercoolers - please fix the camshafts used in these cars.  I don't think there has been a fresh grind using modern lobes and valvetrain data in what... 15-20 years?PS. It is time to march off the old guard of vendors.

There have been some pretty cool advancements in cam technology, especially with the short travel/reduced travel lifters. The ramp rate of lobes can be more aggressive, which will broaden the powerband much more. I do intend on getting to camshafts, but I simply don't have the access to try out my ideas at the moment.

Tyler...you're young...articu late...educate d...tech savvy...and honest. You're offering the highest quality products with the knowledge and tech to back it all up. The bottom line is...you're cutting into their profit margins...and they aren't liking it. One of them even has in his sig, I was here first. You guys just keep doing what you're doing...and ignore the BS. P.S. Get on that IC as quick as you can...and get it to market. Give us a writeup on the vertical flow vs horizontal. Remember to dumb things down so everyone can understand it.

That really means a lot coming from Gentlemen such as yourselves. Really. I feel sometimes with the FB group especially, that there is this "mob mentality" and it reminds me of this show, South Park, when they make fun of large mobs of people who are acting irrational, they have the large groups of people all yell "Rabble Rabble Rabble!!". It genuinely feels like that at times.

It is as if logic is thrown out the window and replaced with a vapid justification of entitlement.

I will be working on the IC's literally as soon as I am able. Unfortunately at the moment there isn't much I can do, unless someone is willing to have me send them the core and pay them to make the piping/mounts.

Offline BoostedRPS

• Bone Stock
  • PSI: -1
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 06 2018, 03:44:25 PM »

I see you guys talking a lot about cams. Have any of you read Dema Elgin's book High Performance Engine Theory?

He has a TON of great information about camshaft design, what you are looking for in terms of duration/intake valve closing/dynamic and static compression ratio/exhaust valve opening.

If I get a moment in the future I'll try to post up some information from the book. It is really informative.

He will spec a custom cam for you for around $500, btw. I believe he used to do all of Duttweiler's cams in the 90s.

Tyler--- Good write up!  Do you have any idea what size exducer a Turbonetics 6468 has?

Thank you!

I've tried to get a handle on the Turbonetics wheels, but they really don't have much information on their wheels like other companies do.

Add to that they have such a weird way to organize their products, it makes it very difficult to navigate across the different types of products they offer.

Your best bet is to take a mic, pull the compressor cover off, and measure it with the mic. I'd be curious to what you find.

As far as the ess slingin' you certainly ain't the first and assuredly wont bet he last. That board has a history of protecting venders, deleting posts and the like. It might not be like that any more but it sure feels like it. And perception is reality. As posted, keep up your fine work. No one likes it when their apple cart gets overturned . There is a reason we as a group hang out here and not there. As a side note you should sent a note to mark(supersix) or no cooler and get yourself a banner ad.

Very true. I do remember when Bruce owned the board and it was really bad for things like that.

I can see why you guys spend your time here. Much more level-headed discussions.

I will hit him up later today. Thank you for the info!

Offline Forzfed

• PSI: 5
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 06 2018, 05:01:42 PM »

Thank you!

I've tried to get a handle on the Turbonetics wheels, but they really don't have much information on their wheels like other companies do.

Add to that they have such a weird way to organize their products, it makes it very difficult to navigate across the different types of products they offer.

Your best bet is to take a mic, pull the compressor cover off, and measure it with the mic. I'd be curious to what you find.
I hope not to be doing that any time soon since I just put the turbo on the car.  It does make my old CPT-66 look small.  I've had luck with Turbonetics so that is why I stuck with it!  I probably would have given the Borg Warner's a try but I bought this turbo over a year ago.

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #28 on: July 06 2018, 06:06:09 PM »
I agree with the comment about trying to find out information on Turbonetics turbos...the site is terrible and the information is sadly lacking
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline reality

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 06 2018, 06:37:46 PM »
Just as a matter of contention and in light of the trade war going on Turbonetic turbos may be 100% assembled in the USA but not 100% made in the USA,  there is a small machine shop in Burlington ON CA that regularly ship parts to California. Well did anyway lol
Put a tariff on Aluminium but not a finished product. UMM

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal