Author Topic: Boost Leak Tester  (Read 4886 times)

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 0
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
Boost Leak Tester
« on: August 23 2019, 11:23:09 PM »
Hi, I made a Boost Leak Tester, and according to some site claiming to remove the valve air filter; I apply about 12 lbs of compress air. The compressor is turn off with some air still in the tank; The boost tester gauge shows about 12 lbs and it's being reduce about 1 lbs/sec. Some air do escape out of the valve cover filter hole about the same rate as mention.
My question, is this the correct procedure or am I missing something. Thanks
87 GN T-Top, ScanMaster, hot-wire kit, Full Throttle chips w/ matching 60# injectors, adj. fuel pump, and triple pod gauges w/ AEM A/F gauge, oil pressure gauge, vac/boost gauge, Kenne Belle rear seat brace, upgraded tranny w/ Art Carr pan cover, and a pre-lube oil system.

Offline earlbrown

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 6
    • View Profile
Re: Boost Leak Tester
« Reply #1 on: August 24 2019, 12:42:47 AM »
when you pressurize the intake tract spray the engine down with something soapy. Simple Green works well because it'll rinse off pretty easily.

The hissing you hear out of the valve cover breather is air escaping past the rings.  Sounds like you might have an intake valve cracked open or leaking.   12PSI shouldn't be enough to unseat a valve.    Or it might be going up the valve guides and past the seals.
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #2 on: August 24 2019, 09:34:25 AM »
If the rocker shafts are off so all the valves are closed, then it sounds like Earl has pretty much covered the territory
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24 2019, 01:35:32 PM »
Thanks for the info, and I did used soapy spray bottle water and found 6 vacuum leaks
2 leaks at the vacuum hose tee connection going to the boost gauge
1 leak at the vacuum check valve
2 leaks at the vacuum hose connected to the EGR vacuum control valve
1 leak at the vacuum block gasket
87 GN T-Top, ScanMaster, hot-wire kit, Full Throttle chips w/ matching 60# injectors, adj. fuel pump, and triple pod gauges w/ AEM A/F gauge, oil pressure gauge, vac/boost gauge, Kenne Belle rear seat brace, upgraded tranny w/ Art Carr pan cover, and a pre-lube oil system.

Offline earlbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24 2019, 02:15:55 PM »
You still have the EGR stuff on your engine?

...and that vacuum block would never seal on my car.  Even the aluminum one leaked until I did this...

pretty much the same thing I did to my EGR, only easier :)
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24 2019, 04:16:39 PM »
Yea, I still have the EGR to which I already replaced the gasket with a copper gasket and no leak
The only leak was the vacuum hose connected to the EGR, to which I forgot to put a zip-tie on it, and now no leak.

Question, Is it necessary to have the EGR?
« Last Edit: August 24 2019, 04:32:20 PM by gnonyx »

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24 2019, 04:39:33 PM »
Not with one of Bob's or Eric's chips.  Both disable EGR
Steve Wood

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24 2019, 07:56:48 PM »
For many years I have purchased Full Throttle Commander Chip with 60# injectors, and never had a problem with that combo.

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24 2019, 11:02:40 PM »
It is made by Bob Bailey :)
Steve Wood

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24 2019, 11:16:21 PM »
It is made by Bob Bailey :)

As always Bob is the "Mad Scientist" when it comes to our TR

My TR is a Stock engine with some upgrades for the fuel system for today's gas, and the instruction did't have nothing of removing the EGR.

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24 2019, 11:55:48 PM »
there is no need to remove it.  It is not used by the chip so it just sits there.  If you remove it, you have to be sure the hole is well sealed or it will leak and run like crap.
Steve Wood

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25 2019, 09:43:13 AM »
there is no need to remove it.  It is not used by the chip so it just sits there.  If you remove it, you have to be sure the hole is well sealed or it will leak and run like crap.
Okay, thanks for the updated info, once I order and install the vacuum block gasket I will test again for any vacuum leaks.

Offline earlbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25 2019, 09:17:35 PM »
What that means is you an leave the UFO on there to seal the intake, but get rid of that ugly box and all the hoses that run between it and the valve.

If you want to verify first that you can, unplug the electrical connector on the box and notice you won't set a code.

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25 2019, 10:06:52 PM »
What that means is you an leave the UFO on there to seal the intake, but get rid of that ugly box and all the hoses that run between it and the valve.

If you want to verify first that you can, unplug the electrical connector on the box and notice you won't set a code.

Even thought this is a stock engine are you claiming I should remove the EGR?

Many years ago I read the purpose of the EGR valve is to lower emissions and also lower the cylinder temperature, if this is true why remove it?

Offline earlbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25 2019, 10:58:05 PM »
Because your chip has rendered it non-functional.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal