Author Topic: Long cranking before motor starts??  (Read 4978 times)

Offline TRICKSIXPA

• Bone Stock
  • PSI: 0
  • Shiny Parts Addict!
    • View Profile
Long cranking before motor starts??
« on: August 05 2014, 12:05:04 AM »
So I'm getting my 2nd black car up and running and dealing with some electrical issues along the way. Happens when you buy a roller and use the old crap wiring harness that came with it. So my car is not turning over until the stock oil pressure sensor is reading pressure. When I turn the key no fuel pressure to the rail once it has cranked a few it finally turns over and car is running. Swapped fuel relays from my other car no change. Fuses are good. How can I fix this what should I be looking for? Also for kicks my oil light is not working on my dash. I'm seeing the oil pressure thru my autometer gauge.
I don't care What Congress does as long as they don't do it on the streets and scare the kids!!

Offline earlbrown

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 6
    • View Profile
Re: Long cranking before motor starts??
« Reply #1 on: August 05 2014, 12:54:59 AM »
well you know the oil switch is working since it's running the pump.  so it's most likely a bad connection at the socket or the flexible circuit board.

On the relay, are you getting power to it?  Does the pump run if you jump out the test connector?
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline TRICKSIXPA

• Bone Stock
  • Shiny Parts Addict!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05 2014, 07:59:35 AM »
I haven't jumped the pump In a month or so I did it before I turned the motor over for the first time. It came on and registered FP at the rail. I did not check to see if I was getting power to the relay. I'll check the Pink/Blk wire and see if I get juice to the relay.
« Last Edit: August 05 2014, 08:05:08 AM by TRICKSIXPA »
I don't care What Congress does as long as they don't do it on the streets and scare the kids!!

Offline TRICKSIXPA

• Bone Stock
  • Shiny Parts Addict!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05 2014, 09:48:29 AM »
I checked the Pink/ blk wire at the relay its got juice when I turn the key. The fuel pump primes as soon as I jump the grey plug. The ECM was from my old car and worked flawlessly. I guess I need to check the wires further down the circuit. Any suggestions?

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 1
  • So, This black car is fast?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05 2014, 11:13:05 AM »
So, the pump primes when you turn the key, right? Does the rail hold pressure for a bit? Leaky injector(s), fpr not up to snuff? What saws the gp gauge read while running? During crank?
Rich

"Goals without actions are just dreams."

Offline TRICKSIXPA

• Bone Stock
  • Shiny Parts Addict!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05 2014, 01:04:06 PM »
No Prime while I turn the key no fuel pressure until the motor cranks and the oil pressure starts to build. The rail hold FP for about 15 minutes or so, slowly works its way down to zero. When the car is running it has baseline FP set. The FP gauge stays at zero until motor starts. I'm using a Marshall fuel pressure gauge mounted to the rail to verify all this.

Offline TRICKSIXPA

• Bone Stock
  • Shiny Parts Addict!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05 2014, 02:03:05 PM »
Ran out to the garage during my lunch break. Checked the green wire and the green and Yellow wire on the relay harness to see if I was getting the 2 second signal from the ignition switch. It did not. 
I checked the diagram from vortex Buick. It reads green and white wire but mine is yellow that does not matter. The diagram shows 4 wires to the relay but there are 5? I guess next I'm gonna check the ground wire from the relay to make sure it's properly grounded. I guess the green and yellow wire comes into the relay from the ECM is that right?

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #7 on: August 05 2014, 03:33:42 PM »
the blk/wht wire is the ground.

The green/yellow wire comes from the ecm.  it goes to a1 on the ecm and it should be hot all the time once the engine is running
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05 2014, 06:44:34 PM »
If it isn't priming you exceeded my seat of the pants diagnosis. You sound likeyou are in the right place on Steve's site. Time to chase some wires, and see why it doesn't prime.
Rich

Offline TRICKSIXPA

• Bone Stock
  • Shiny Parts Addict!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05 2014, 06:48:17 PM »
Yeah I'm dumb two Buicks and half a brain between the two!! So I'm looking at the relays and realize that the AC relay has five wires and clean off the grime on the Fuel pump harness and the wire color matches and there are four. Had them both in the wrong location on both cars. As it turns out the fuel pump relay is bad!! Shaked it did not hear it click back in forth. Had a spare in a box and now I have a car that starts  when it's suppose to. Now just have to get my oil pressure idiot light to turn on when I put the key it the ignition.

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05 2014, 08:09:07 PM »
Bulb could be burned out.
Rich

Offline TRICKSIXPA

• Bone Stock
  • Shiny Parts Addict!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05 2014, 08:33:00 PM »
Swapped it with the volt light which I saw working. Might have to take the cluster out and clean off the connection. I know John Spina said that there is something that works really good on cleaning the connectors just can remember what it was. I can find it on the website.

Offline earlbrown

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05 2014, 11:45:01 PM »
Lysol toilet bowl cleaner.

Stuff I mix with aluminum foil to make percussion bombs. :)

www.installationinstructions.com/FYI/alternator_charging_tech.pdf
« Last Edit: August 06 2014, 12:46:02 AM by earlbrown »
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #13 on: August 06 2014, 09:57:49 AM »
Percussion?  It should go off by itself?
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline TRICKSIXPA

• Bone Stock
  • Shiny Parts Addict!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06 2014, 02:25:17 PM »
Kaboom! we're gonna need another Timmy!!

In other news I checked my fuel pump relay harness and its not doing so well kinda melted in parts. It's like $30 for a replacement harness!!
It works for now!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal