Author Topic: So it looks like my car is not going to be on the road anyone soon.  (Read 1913 times)

Offline TRICKSIXPA

• Bone Stock
  • PSI: 0
  • Shiny Parts Addict!
    • View Profile
Pulled my motor out of my old car got it on the stand to drop the pan to take a peek. The crank has play in it. The pulley all the way to the flywheel was shifting about an1/8 of an inch.
Pulled the 2nd main cap and the thrust bearing is almost gone on the sides. Now if the crank is ok can I just put new bearings in and go or is it complete tear down time and off to the machine shop time??
I don't care What Congress does as long as they don't do it on the streets and scare the kids!!

Offline PacecarTA

• Turbo Street Limited
  • PSI: 2
  • im not a newbie
    • View Profile
Re: So it looks like my car is not going to be on the road anyone soon.
« Reply #1 on: September 05 2013, 09:04:46 PM »
if the thrust is gone the crank needs to go off to the machinist

the thrust can be cut and oversized thrust bearings used..they dont  make oversized thrust for std journals so the journals will have to be machined whether they need it or not but with the knock you had it needs cutting
i would source another crank before i would run a  crank  that knocked like yours was
the forged cranks are now available at 499 and you can get one with external balance from fullthrottle for 619  , the external ends up cheaper because you dont need to get a neutral balancer and flywheel

and  the rods should be checked  at the little end for damage from the crank walking back and forth , you could get them bushed and reconnned but at that point it would be cheaper to source another set of rods

and the block needs to go in for line bore check  , i wouldnt be surprised if its out
Paul   Magnabuick.com ..NJ rep
86GN pump gas 93/alky 109, iron heads, stock mains, no girdle  9.72 @139
best 1/8 6.13 @ 112 ,best mph 144
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSKzv7ej7Cc
87 GN TTop 109 ,93/alky , 9.82 @ 139 20.6psi , best 1/8th 6.18@113.2
87 GnX'd 
87 GN TTop..stock as can b

Offline TRICKSIXPA

• Bone Stock
  • PSI: 0
  • Shiny Parts Addict!
    • View Profile
So it looks like my car is not going to be on the road anyone soon.
« Reply #2 on: September 05 2013, 09:23:32 PM »
I really never had any bad knock on the motor and it hasn't seen high boost in quite some time. I saw the crank had play in it back in 2012 when I was adding the front mount IC. My other block will be going to the shop soon for work I have a good crank for that one. I guess I'm gonna be taking this one block at a time. Once I get that one out of the garage. I'll start the tear down on this one. Btw Who is selling cranks for $499?
I don't care What Congress does as long as they don't do it on the streets and scare the kids!!

Offline PacecarTA

• Turbo Street Limited
  • PSI: 2
  • im not a newbie
    • View Profile
Paul   Magnabuick.com ..NJ rep
86GN pump gas 93/alky 109, iron heads, stock mains, no girdle  9.72 @139
best 1/8 6.13 @ 112 ,best mph 144
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSKzv7ej7Cc
87 GN TTop 109 ,93/alky , 9.82 @ 139 20.6psi , best 1/8th 6.18@113.2
87 GnX'd 
87 GN TTop..stock as can b