Author Topic: Attention Fuel Pump Installers  (Read 15067 times)

Offline tar baby

• Bone Stock
  • PSI: 0
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
Re: Attention Fuel Pump Installers
« Reply #45 on: September 07 2016, 07:56:01 PM »
so I found my pressure problem . I had the  clamp  on the return line kinking the hose .  :013:. so that's fixed .. now. checking for air leaks .

Offline Pyro6

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 11 2016, 01:24:34 PM »
Brad, I understood what you were saying.  I was trying to be nice so you could explain it as I did not know if Tar Baby understood that the hose on number was basically meaningless between cars due to the differences in vacuum which can vary between cars due to mechanical condition and cam shaft variation.

I should have kept my mouth shut.  I am learning slowly not to get involved in these discussions :)
When you and others don't share knowledge and maybe the rare misunderstandi ng, all this forum BS becomes pointless. I've been wrenching for 47 years and am the first to admit I don't know everything. I hate it but I still go to classes. Never stop,  Steve.

Offline earlbrown

• PSI: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 11 2016, 03:06:13 PM »
In Steve's defense, it gets REALLY tiring when you post something factual then get hammered (or ignored for the 'desired info') for it.  After a few hundred times, it just takes too much effort to put fingers on keyboards.

Based on my observations, there are far too many people need to watch the first 44 seconds of this video over and over and over and over.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYPapE-3FRw

Granted that data is pretty old, it's in B&W not color :)
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Online TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 1
  • So, This black car is fast?
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 13 2016, 09:22:47 AM »
You should have some things you can copy n paste in a notes file. Way easier than typing out all kinds of stuff over and over. I have several for the 2004r with links and such to send to people who ask.
Rich

"Goals without actions are just dreams."

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #49 on: September 13 2016, 01:43:38 PM »
It does not matter.  If you look at tuning, scant tools, whatever-Eric has suggestions, Bob had written up stuff, I have a section on my site that repeats what they said and adds some more information with regard to using a scan tool.  I have a section on Tuning that I have dumbed down as much as I can so it is basically A, B, C.... but I get emails all the time that start off with I have read ever word on your site and it has really helped, but...then they ask a question that was answered in detail on the site so I know that either they cannot read, do not want to read, or are just flat lying.

We are in a society today where the younger members expect instant gratification and believe they somehow deserve customized respect as if they are only one of three or four people on the planet.
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Online TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 13 2016, 04:30:12 PM »
I think we have a problem in our school system that many come out and can't read, cant comprehend what they read, or are just too lazy to read and pretty much want to pay someone else to do it for them. I know I have a comprehension problem so I tend to read things three or more times going over each word to get full meaning of the adjectives and adverbs. It makes a lot of difference what it printed and how people interpret it.

I think they are reading it without hands on experience. Them when they go to the hands on part, the either cant remember, are too lazy to go back and reread it or, flat didn't read it in the first place. I think it is great all the info at the vortex site and the turbo tweak site . If I had time to take it all in I would. I can't believe all the info the power logger logs on just one run or street blast.
Rich

Offline earlbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 13 2016, 04:55:36 PM »
I don't fully blame schools. There are too many hands-off parents these days that lead to repeted cycles.  Basically huge handouts have got 3 generations of dumbasses (with a 30 year span between ages) that honestly don't know any better. And, most importantly, haven't been shown/taught to want to know better.

About a year ago I spent quite a few months doing real life and not getting on any of the Buick boards.  I've noticed a BIG difference at TB.com after I started dropping by again.  I still don't check in near as much as I used to, but the newbies have just gotten damn near unbearable.

Back just a couple of years ago, you'd get a newb show up and want to know the best heads, gearsz, cams, 'big' turbo, etc to go faster....

It was always fun to say, 'no, you need a wire for the fuel pump, and valve springs, and a pump, and a modern chip, and a new timing chain''....   and when running right will be the fastest shit you've ever driven.

After that I used to try and guess which of the three groups they'd join.  The ''I need to do head gaskets'' group, the ''I'm selling this POS'' group. or the ''holy fuck they car is fun, I can't keep tires on the back'' group.

Oddly enough the third group is very very small.

and now it seems to be much worse.

My theory is those of us that's been owners for a long time and still post have removed those cars from the market and a lot of them are garage cars not DD's now.  The cars that are floating around for the newbs to get are molested, been sitting a while, POS's, or low mileage timebombs with no preventive maintience. It only take a few seconds with original wastegate why hoses to grenade an entire engine.  The leaning curve is just too steep a lot of the time.

Working on these cars is truely require an odd angle of attack.  If you know everything because you've been a hotrodder with carbs iron V8's since forever, you're screwed.   If you're background is Honda's and you're an 'expert' on all things turbo...  you're screwed.

It really amazed me at all the oddball nuances these cars have (and how easy it is to overcome most all of them if you know about them).  When it gets down to brass tacks, it's an antiquated plain Jane shitbox iron V6 with a pretty bland computer that just got a turbo and intercooler added. Even after detuning them for the average Joe and a warranty, they were still pretty hot.

It's truly a parts box car with cobbled together pieces of crap....    with the ability to double the output and still be reliable.

...unless, of course, your normal vernacular includes things like ''push boost''...  :D
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Online TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 13 2016, 06:26:22 PM »
The hot rod article points hard at the "checkbook" hotrodder. You don't need an aftermarket computer to go tens in the quarter. Is it easier? I guess if you are writing the checks. Just way more expensive than it has to be. These people selling stuff will always have a new trick of the day,week, or month. That is how they make money. You can't sell magazines without advertisers and in the broad scope mags are dead anyway.
And speaking of the I cant keep tires on it, I cant think of one over at Tb.com
Lots of sellers and broken parts owners though.
Rich

Offline gusszgs

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Limited quick brick
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 13 2016, 06:53:34 PM »
It does not matter.  If you look at tuning, scant tools, whatever-Eric has suggestions, Bob had written up stuff, I have a section on my site that repeats what they said and adds some more information with regard to using a scan tool.  I have a section on Tuning that I have dumbed down as much as I can so it is basically A, B, C.... but I get emails all the time that start off with I have read ever word on your site and it has really helped, but...then they ask a question that was answered in detail on the site so I know that either they cannot read, do not want to read, or are just flat lying.

We are in a society today where the younger members expect instant gratification and believe they somehow deserve customized respect as if they are only one of three or four people on the planet.

So true.........i t's become a generation of self entitlement.
What really pisses me off is some of the ignoramus's will suck you for all the info they can and then, no thank you or nothing! In other words, I have my info now, so you can go piss up a rope.
Jim
1987 T Limited

Offline Be4u

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/400586
« Reply #54 on: September 13 2016, 07:01:36 PM »
I'm just dumb. I gave up trying to tune my cah and left the boost low.
Save the bumper fillers!
Move to Canadia!

Offline Be4u

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/400586
« Reply #55 on: September 13 2016, 07:03:31 PM »

What really pisses me off is some of the ignoramus's will suck you for all the info they can and then, no thank you or nothing! In other words, I have my info now, so you can go piss up a rope.
[/quote]
[/quote]

Yeah, I hate people like that.
Save the bumper fillers!
Move to Canadia!

Offline aminga

• Chicks Dig the Power Bulge
  • Turbo Street Limited
  • Chicks Dig the Power Bulge
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 14 2016, 08:28:05 PM »

It was always fun to say, 'no, you need a wire for the fuel pump, and valve springs, and a pump, and a modern chip, and a new timing chain''....   and when running right will be the fastest shit you've ever driven.

After that I used to try and guess which of the three groups they'd join.  The ''I need to do head gaskets'' group, the ''I'm selling this POS'' group. or the ''holy fuck they car is fun, I can't keep tires on the back'' group.

Oddly enough the third group is very very small.

and now it seems to be much worse.

So what ever happened to that goober who blew his motor doing donuts for some fatties and wanted to race you?
86 Regal T-type. One Owner. Twisted 6 Racing Built 109, FTSS Revolution X 206/210 Cam, T&D 1.65 Rockers, Diamond Forged Pistons, RJC Power Plate, TA6262DBB, PTE SLIC, Alkycontrol pump and Kit and ISAC Controller, Bailey TR6 Wastespark, TA Headers, ATR Downpipe, Racetronix Walbro pump and hot wire ki

Offline earlbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 14 2016, 10:32:24 PM »
My buddy!!!    I never got a thank you from him when I sent him a link for a harbor freight engine crane that DIDN'T cost $1000   (cause you know, that's what engine cranes cost therefore you can't pull a hurt engine. You have to post over and over on the internets until you get the answer you want)

Pretty sure he's in the ''Fuck this car, i'm selling this blown up POS'' group.

That car really got hosed.  Of all the people that won't stop beating on a car and take it off the road, it's the ones with no oil pressure that take the cake.

I should really find that thread again.   I loved how I kept hitting nerves stereotyping and it turned out I was describing him dead nuts.

it seems like the ''bonus points if your tuna is Asian with blond tips dyed in his hair''...   and it turns out his was Asian with blonde tips!  lol

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal