Author Topic: used TA49 BB water cooled  (Read 5219 times)

Offline xracerx13

• NOT
  • Turbo Street Limited
  • PSI: 0
  • First Methanol Kits
    • View Profile
    • Joe Tripodi's 1987 Buick Regal Limited T
Re: used TA49 BB water cooled
« Reply #15 on: December 11 2021, 01:18:24 PM »
i have the Garrett .63 exhaust housing already on this turbo. This is a John Craig turbo from late 90's

I was told that the shaft groove could be sent out to be repaired for a cost and that he may or may not have a center section laying around since they are interchangeabl e with other turbos that garret makes... obviously for another fee.

So a $250 rebuild which was a good deal is now $400. Where in hell can you find anyone to rebuild a turbo and balance the assembly for $250 with a 2-3 day turn around is what I'm saying...
Joe Tripodi 87 Limited T
TA49@25psi, Axis w/chip, LS1 MAF, 60lb Inj, Comp 980s, BGC 23r SLIC, Jay Jackson 62mm TB, RJC PowerPlate, Walbro 307, volt boost 15.8V, Type II ign, Race tranny, 2800 stall, 3" THDP, Pypes 3" SS/Dynomax Ultra-Flos, Meth Inj staged 2 nozzle M5/M10, SS Lift bars, MT ET drags.

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 11 2021, 01:24:29 PM »
Personally I'd contact Bison. He knows his shit with turbos and could give you a straight up answer.
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline nocooler

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Eliminator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 11 2021, 03:03:23 PM »
This is the issue with buying used turbos - it rarely works out to save money over new
IhaveaV8

Offline xracerx13

• NOT
  • Turbo Street Limited
  • First Methanol Kits
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 11 2021, 03:43:06 PM »
I already got a straight up answer by both Bison and Cheetah, and with that decided to just do the basic rebuild.
Its sad that the guy I got it from lied like a lot of people do when they sell turbos.
I contacted Bison 9 months ago so I know what he does.
He wanted to replace the whole CHRA and machine housings to fit. Would have cost as much as a new one.

Joe Tripodi 87 Limited T
TA49@25psi, Axis w/chip, LS1 MAF, 60lb Inj, Comp 980s, BGC 23r SLIC, Jay Jackson 62mm TB, RJC PowerPlate, Walbro 307, volt boost 15.8V, Type II ign, Race tranny, 2800 stall, 3" THDP, Pypes 3" SS/Dynomax Ultra-Flos, Meth Inj staged 2 nozzle M5/M10, SS Lift bars, MT ET drags.

Offline nocooler

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 11 2021, 04:10:05 PM »
I'd be looking at other options. https://turbo4less.com/product/vsr-next-gen-62-62-billet-copy/ - something like this would be a killer unit for the price. You'd just have to see what it would take to machine the Buick exhaust housing to fit. He's got a 58/55 DBB as well, that would probably hit like a light switch - https://turbo4less.com/product/vsr-next-gen-58-55-dual-ball-bearing/
Pound per Pound they won't quite hang with a high end PTE CEA, but Dollar to Dollar they kick the shit out of them.
IhaveaV8

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 1
  • So, This black car is fast?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 11 2021, 05:47:24 PM »
Look like v bands on that exhaust of the first one. Just chop that three bolt off and tig a v band on and a v band and some tube and bends for a down pipe. Just have to see about a wastegate. Could do it on the cross over.
Rich

"Goals without actions are just dreams."

Offline nocooler

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 11 2021, 06:08:50 PM »
Yeah if you are willing to fab, the vband exhaust housing would-be killer. Put the gate on the upward slope right before the 3bolt flange.
I've been eyeing this for awhile now - https://turbo4less.com/product/vsr-85-102-billet-t6-1-32/
IhaveaV8

Offline xracerx13

• NOT
  • Turbo Street Limited
  • First Methanol Kits
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 16 2022, 03:47:26 PM »
Figured I give an update on the water cooled TA-49 that I had bought that needed a rebuild.
I sent it out to get rebuilt to Cheetah turbo. The charge for me was $250 for the rebuild but there was a problem with the turbine shaft.
The groove on the turbine end of the shaft that the clip slides onto got widened because the thrust bearing gave out, and with that said ruined the center section on the turbine end also. They said it would have been toast if it was run any longer in that condition.
I had to dish out an extra $100 to have the shaft groove repaired and will be swapping the water cooled center for a regular oil cooled section which was offered to me free if he has one laying around.

The guy I got it from said Oh it just needs new seals....My ASS....Once again the issued with buying used.
Joe Tripodi 87 Limited T

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal