Author Topic: tuners  (Read 11653 times)

Offline larrym

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 1
    • View Profile
tuners
« on: February 26 2016, 09:06:18 PM »
so I been chasing some transitional knock, if I brake boost and leave its fine but if I'm rolling and hammer it I get knock.
I use a Gen 2 translator with the G chip, I can add or remove fuel at 400 rpm increments at 3 load points low 63hz mid 100hz high 165 hz. When I look at my tunerpro log it seems like the mid load is the area that is creating the issue. Here is a screen shot and a log for anyone with tuner pro.
86 white T type with t tops and blackout trim. 60lb injectors Gen 2 with Extender Chip TR6 ignition 212/206 roller cam Turbonetics BB CPT 61 CAS V4 Intercooler Cobbled together Alky Injection 4 inch MAF pipe with integral sensor
2800 stall lots of fun with a little 6 banger!
Best ET 11.36

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: tuners
« Reply #1 on: February 26 2016, 09:42:10 PM »
Larry when I ran alky I would get transitional knock on a roll...say...l ike...50 mph on the 401. If I eased into it at 50...nothing. At the track...nothin g. Maybe one of the gents on here can help tune it out. If you are using Julios kit...then hit him up. Eric can prolly help too.
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #2 on: February 26 2016, 11:19:46 PM »
try turning the alky on a bit earlier and bring the full spray in a bit earlier as well...

Or if using razor's kit, try increasing the ramp a bit so that you get more alky spraying at the problem point
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline larrym

• View Profile
tuners
« Reply #3 on: February 27 2016, 12:07:02 PM »
Thanks for the replies
It's not a huge problem and it pretty much the exact symptoms  Brad describes. I have tried adjusting the alky turn on point to tune it out and it does improve things some what but then if I give it a part throttle stab to 10 psi or so it gets pig rich and stubbles.
I'm going to play a little bit with the fueling and see if I can tune most of it out. I figured this would be a good way learn a little about tuning and have a better understanding of how things work. 
86 white T type with t tops and blackout trim. 60lb injectors Gen 2 with Extender Chip TR6 ignition 212/206 roller cam Turbonetics BB CPT 61 CAS V4 Intercooler Cobbled together Alky Injection 4 inch MAF pipe with integral sensor
Best ET 11.36

Offline larrym

• View Profile
tuners
« Reply #4 on: February 27 2016, 12:11:41 PM »
I do have a 3 bar map sensor hooked up to log boost and I can change how the car senses load.  The default setting is MAF/RPM. I can change it to MAP or TPS. I know a lot of newer cars us the MAP signal to sense load.
Best ET 11.36

Offline Just a Six?

• OK Now who Farted??
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27 2016, 12:59:09 PM »
Larry when I ran alky I would get transitional knock on a roll...say...l ike...50 mph on the 401. If I eased into it at 50...nothing. At the track...nothin g. Maybe one of the gents on here can help tune it out. If you are using Julios kit...then hit him up. Eric can prolly help too.

I used to get that exactly & might still on the 401 but my foot stops about 85% throttle for maybe 1/2 second then 100% open. I just naturally do it now but will try the alchy stuff Steve mentioned.
David
87 LTD. Purchased May 88
Doeskin leather, coach lites without Landau Roof, moon roof, carpeted trunk & No Factory Hood Ornament!
The sticker on AC shows a V-8 Carb car. Special order by Mr. Nick Hall VP of GM Canada
Runs 11.50 on 21 lbs with my old style 67 Q Trim & Alchy

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #6 on: February 27 2016, 12:59:49 PM »
pretty sure it is an alky problem and not a gas problem. Again, if you have an alkycontrol system, try increasing the gain knob a couple of numbers and try it. 
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline Just a Six?

• OK Now who Farted??
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27 2016, 01:20:29 PM »
I have the ALKY kit from Julio so I'll put a note on my laptop to make sure I remember this come spring!
David
87 LTD. Purchased May 88
Doeskin leather, coach lites without Landau Roof, moon roof, carpeted trunk & No Factory Hood Ornament!
The sticker on AC shows a V-8 Carb car. Special order by Mr. Nick Hall VP of GM Canada
Runs 11.50 on 21 lbs with my old style 67 Q Trim & Alchy

Offline larrym

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27 2016, 01:20:43 PM »
sadly its not alky control its a cooling  mist set up with a guage that is the controller it is also my boost gauge displays pump duty cycle as well 250 psi pump  right now I have it set to start spraying at 5PSI and full on at 22 psi. The gain knob on the alky control would have it full on sooner?

Its been a good system for me but if I had it all to do again I would chose alky control....... .

http://www.coolingmist.com/pagedisplay.aspx?pid=CMGSBoostVAC&feature_key=controllers

Best ET 11.36

Offline larrym

• View Profile
tuners
« Reply #9 on: February 27 2016, 03:18:03 PM »
The roads dried out so  I drove the daughter to work. Decided to try MAP as load source. As soon as I changed it the load at idle went up 15 points. I did not hook up the lap top but I did a couple WOT hits from a roll and saw no knock I  will log some pulls and see how that looks when I get some more time.
Best ET 11.36

Offline larrym

• View Profile
tuners
« Reply #10 on: March 01 2016, 01:16:07 AM »
Ok Dave here is a short video of a WOT hit. I like this display for my thought process. I can change what parameter is displayed but these are the ones that I use to get an idea what's going on boost, user tune (fueling right now I have my main scale adding 27 across all load points to get my BLM close to 128) Rpm, TPS, load. http://youtu.be/SV9bNZUVtVw
Best ET 11.36

Offline larrym

• View Profile
tuners
« Reply #11 on: March 01 2016, 01:27:44 AM »
I can't monitor knock but I do have a knock gauge for that. There are three load points 65kpa low load idle and cruise. Mid load part throttle light acceleration 100 kpa  High load over about 10 psi 165 kpa. I can adjust fueling in 400rpm increments across each load point. The clip shows 10.20 to 10.30 A/F which I realize is a little fat but the boost is dialled back I typically have it closer to 25 26 psi just trying to tune the transitional knock out.
Best ET 11.36

Offline larrym

• View Profile
tuners
« Reply #12 on: March 01 2016, 01:35:39 AM »
When I get the log to an area I want to adjust it I pause the play back and I can move it frame by frame note the load rpm and AF then I can make adjustments. My understanding is that when I'm at 85kpa load fueling is a blend of low and mid tunes same with 125 a blend of mid and high.
WOT Timing is also adjustable and what I set it at comes in at 3000 rpm /TPS 3.25.

Once I get things dialled in I can turn WB correction back on for insurance it pretty cool set up I pick an AFR for WOT and the GEN ll will add  or subtract fuel.

« Last Edit: March 01 2016, 01:40:56 AM by larrym »
Best ET 11.36

Offline larrym

• View Profile
tuners
« Reply #13 on: March 01 2016, 01:47:42 AM »
Couple screen shots note the load and AF   The AF starts good leans out my meth starts spraying at 5 psi and is now at full by 15 psi.
Best ET 11.36

Offline 1 RARE T

• Bone Stock
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02 2016, 08:01:33 AM »
I'm a little confused. You're at full throttle yet boost is really slow to come up?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal