Author Topic: detailing single stage black lacquer-  (Read 10220 times)

Offline wmsonta

• Turbo Street Stock
  • PSI: -1
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
detailing single stage black lacquer-
« on: July 17 2019, 08:52:05 PM »
After waiting 5 wks on an appointment with the supposed best detail man there is, he jerked me around. Wanted me to make another appointment. I do not give money to anybody who jerks me around. I am going to detail the gn myself. I hate detailing, always have. So, even though I was around a lot of it, I paid little attention and learned less.

This thread may be a bit hasty for a number of reasons. I am old. UPS brought my headliner today. I do a small workout 5 days a week. I get hauled to the races almost every weekend. I prefer to do most work on a slab in front of a building that is 15 ft to the rafters and only shaded in the pm.

What I need-Mckees 37 waterless wash to go (I believe the same as Detailer's or Dealer's? Pride)
sandwich baggies
painter s tape
Q tips
XMT Speed Clay and XMT speed clay Lube
loop weave or heavy pile micro-fiber towels
Meguiar's #7
Meguiar's #26 wax or equivalent.
I think my best bet is to find a supplier who has the most of these and try to combine shipping.

I consider a single stage lacquer to be the thinnest oem paint job. I believe the primer and paint combined to be less than half as thick as just the clear coat on modern stuff. There will be no abrasives. I own top of the line buffers and polishers, DA's, everything you could ask. I do not trust myself to use them on this no tint added black car. I intend, all by hand. Tape off one panel at a time.

If you have opinions, advice, a favorite supplier, experiences, etc., now is the time to get in here.
« Last Edit: July 17 2019, 08:59:00 PM by wmsonta »

Offline Grumpy

• Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 4
    • View Profile
Re: detailing single stage black lacquer-
« Reply #1 on: July 18 2019, 06:54:23 AM »
Isn't it crazy ?  almost like they don't want to work. I use to do paint work in the late 70's. Back when lacquer had all the good stuff in it.  :icon_smile:   Now I like buffing an cleaning the car up but it seems like I just talk about it an get nothing done.  Now when you done come up here an do my station wagon. paint is a mess.

Offline wmsonta

• Turbo Street Stock
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18 2019, 07:48:28 PM »
  almost like they don't want to work.
If he didn't want to do my car, he should have just said so. He was booked solid 5 wks  ahead. I can understand, he can make easier money than an original paint car that has been stored 23 yrs.

Anyway, I bought supplies from Auto Geek today. I hit some kind of lottery and got 25% off + free shipping. Detailer's Pride is gone, the same product sold by the same man is McKee's waterless wash. XMT Speed Clay is gone and I bought the product that replaced it. I bought a 6 pk of Cobra 600 Jr micro fiber towels. Not shaded enough time where I want to do this. Some will have to be done inside the shop.

Offline daveismissing

• Two Buicks- too little money$$
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • Two Buicks- too little money$$
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19 2019, 08:58:12 AM »
I tried to do some research on "paint correction" ( what a yuppie phrase) in the spring.
Both cars have been neglected for a while. They are drivers and have had repaints so not in the same class as your cars.

Seems everybody is an expert in detailing and they are all polarized fan boys, probably to sell the brands they tout.

I finally ran across one youtuber who acknowledged the insanity, suggested simply use (after clay) griot complete compound from a chain store with a decent DA and an orange pad. Probably the way I will go.

-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline wmsonta

• Turbo Street Stock
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19 2019, 10:12:25 AM »
"I tried to do some research on "paint correction" ( what a yuppie phrase) in the spring.
Both cars have been neglected for a while. They are drivers and have had repaints so not in the same class as your cars."

If yours were repainted in the last 20 yrs, you are probably dealing with better quality paint.

"Seems everybody is an expert in detailing and they are all polarized fan boys, probably to sell the brands they tout."

I wish I knew more about it, today. A lot of the brands I knew anything about are long gone. I guarantee, I will be unable to tell if the paint is clean without the 'baggie test'.

"I finally ran across one youtuber who acknowledged the insanity, suggested simply use (after clay) griot complete compound from a chain store with a decent DA and an orange pad. Probably the way I will go."

Man, I would like to use a machine. If I value the result, experience has taught not to. I would in an instant if I was working with clearcoat. I watched a really young man erase a deep scratch in a few minutes. Deep enough to catch a fingernail. Probably 16 in long. Clear coat is usually that thick.

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 0
  • No man lives happily lest he remove the boredom
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19 2019, 09:20:29 PM »
An old army buddie who does detailing stuff on the side, suggested this kit. 

https://shinesupply.com/collections/shine-kits/products/shine-supply-starter-kit
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1982 Jeep Wagoneer Limited
1986 Grand National BLK PHNX
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline wmsonta

• Turbo Street Stock
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20 2019, 09:58:53 AM »
Thanks for the reply.

I also had a long time friend who said I should investigate Adam's Polishes. Turns out, he doesn't use them. He has been involved with high end show stuff for probably 40 yrs.

I have bought stuff I have used previously where I could. My order has shipped.

Trying to acclimate to this heat (107 index yesterday). When I opened the shop yesterday pm, it was probably 110*. I promptly stepped on the package containing the rear clips for my new headliner. Broke 2 of 3.

2 steps forward, 3 steps back.

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #7 on: July 20 2019, 10:46:41 AM »
Bad luck!  I thought I was the only did things like that... :O
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline wmsonta

• Turbo Street Stock
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11 2019, 08:14:31 PM »
Installing the headliner mandated vacuuming the entire interior. I covered the interior with blankets from the rear glass to the dash. Did not stop that crap.
Drove the car to a car wash and flooded it. No high pressure, no rubbing and no soap. Went to the track yesterday pm.
Car air dried. Went to work this am, with the waterless wash. My opinion of the results are mixed. Did the 'baggie' test and I have quite a way to go. Could be worse. Time to break out the clay. Pics are not good, but I try-

Offline wmsonta

• Turbo Street Stock
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11 2019, 08:18:00 PM »
one more-

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 0
  • No man lives happily lest he remove the boredom
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12 2019, 02:19:41 PM »
Looks good!
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1982 Jeep Wagoneer Limited
1986 Grand National BLK PHNX
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline wmsonta

• Turbo Street Stock
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13 2019, 09:06:25 AM »
thanx-
After the baggie test, I now believe it will take about half as long as I originally thought. Buildup on the glass and horizontal surfaces is moderate. Buildup on the vertical surfaces is light. The previous owner put wax on top of wax, evidently. People curious about this journey-

Offline Grumpy

• Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14 2019, 08:03:29 PM »
Barn find. Car is worth more $$$ like that ! :cool;

Offline wmsonta

• Turbo Street Stock
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16 2019, 06:55:28 PM »
Barn find. Car is worth more $$$ like that ! :cool;
It is a barn find. I found it in my 'barn', right where I put it. 23 yrs ago. It still has a 'vintage' 1996 state inspection sticker in the window. It was covered for 19-20 yrs. I do not remember how many different covers. Some number. When car covers get crusty, they can damage paint.

Offline wmsonta

• Turbo Street Stock
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16 2019, 10:37:17 PM »
Update-I have taken a clay bar to the horizontal surfaces and glass twice. I was finally able to see some of the surface contamination the last time. The clay glides both times. Not done. I feel like the previous owner waxed on a schedule or when he felt it was necessary. Most do. If you apply wax on top of surface contamination, it will not last. Whoever tries to fix this will have grief.

No pics, the car will have to be outside from here. Nothing but glare inside.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal