Author Topic: powered sub question on porting  (Read 11246 times)

Offline Shimy87

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
powered sub question on porting
« on: April 20 2012, 09:24:04 PM »
First what I have and then the question. 12 inch sub in custom, sealed enclosure, powered by single 200 watt amp. I want the bass to be crisper, that hit you in the chest sound. Now its okay but more muddy than crisp. If I port the enclosure will that help or hurt. Now the sub points to the rear of the car, was going to put a 3 inch port facing the front.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
87 GN, K&N cold air, gutted cat, TT 5.7 chip, AFPR, 340 Walbro w/ hotwire, 60 LBS injectors, 981 valve springs, 206/206 Cam, RJC Powerplate, LS1 MAF & translator, Vacuum brakes, Hellwig rear sway bar, Energy suspension poly bushings, Razors Alky, Pypes exhaust, 5931 turbo, CK9.5 converter

Offline phil_long

• F47
  • PSI: 0
  • ...far from avg
    • View Profile
Re: powered sub question on porting
« Reply #1 on: April 20 2012, 10:59:30 PM »
adding a port will make louder, and decrease sound quality by a small margin.  Depending on the type of sub, you will get the sound that you are referring to.  I am running a 12 inch Alpine Type X in a custom enclosure, with the box ported and tuned at 27 Hz.  I recommend porting, but only with a SQL type sub, oppose to SPL.  Whenever sound quality is a factor, always be sure on the type of sub you are running.  Now, I am running 1000 watt amp, but the sound quality is unmatched and beyond superb.  I love it.  Not muddy at all.  What sub are you running?

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #2 on: April 20 2012, 11:03:50 PM »
good thing Muddy Waters was never ported....he mighta be Crispy Wafers
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline Shimy87

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20 2012, 11:17:37 PM »
Its a pioneer, dont know if its SPL or SQL, how do I determine that? Made the box to the exact interior dimesions they recomended, would it help if I decreased the interior volume? Ported? or both? Thanks, dont really know much about subs?

Steve, Muddys favorite snack was crispy wafers :icon_eyes:
87 GN, K&N cold air, gutted cat, TT 5.7 chip, AFPR, 340 Walbro w/ hotwire, 60 LBS injectors, 981 valve springs, 206/206 Cam, RJC Powerplate, LS1 MAF & translator, Vacuum brakes, Hellwig rear sway bar, Energy suspension poly bushings, Razors Alky, Pypes exhaust, 5931 turbo, CK9.5 converter

Offline daveismissing

• Two Buicks- too little money$$
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20 2012, 11:56:45 PM »
I would expect it to sound cleaner if you reduce the volume. Box and speaker are a system, speaker's parameters dictate enclosure to a great extent.
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline Shimy87

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21 2012, 12:14:51 PM »
Descided to reduce volume of box and port it   :icon_kidra:

Offline phil_long

• F47
  • ...far from avg
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22 2012, 02:08:25 PM »
Ok, goo luck with it and let us know how it go. You could just do a search to find out if the sub you have is built for sound quality or more for sound pressure.

Offline Shimy87

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22 2012, 04:39:51 PM »
Original box was built at 2 cubic feet, spec's called for between 1 and 2. removed about half a cubic foot and put a 3 inch port in. Honestly only seems a tiny bit better if at all, maybe wishfull thinking. I'll have to give it some time and see.

Offline phil_long

• F47
  • ...far from avg
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23 2012, 10:45:21 AM »
Well bigger boxes equal bigger sound. Decreasing the size of the box will only Decrease dB(on a decibel meter). I kno thats not what you're really going for, but all our ears hear diff. Out of all the competitions i been too, all of the equipment was mostly SPL subs, give or take a couple SQL. But, i never heard the muddy bass. What kind of highs are you running? Your highs ate emporyant and they mus be able to keep up with your lows.

Offline Shimy87

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23 2012, 12:25:38 PM »
Yesterday I spent about an hour "tuning" the system....time well spent :P  It really sounds great now, wife has always said with all the equipment I have installed in it, it never sounded as good as she thought it should. After tweeking it I had her come and listen and she couldnt believe the difference. I love it now :icon_kidra:

Offline phil_long

• F47
  • ...far from avg
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23 2012, 05:16:10 PM »
Good stuff man.

Offline daveismissing

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23 2012, 07:17:54 PM »
By tuning you mean EQ? (vs box alterations etc?)
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline Shimy87

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23 2012, 09:40:53 PM »
I altered the box, didnt like it so I worked on adjusting the settings on the speaker amp, got them good, then on the sub amp, then on the EQ on the head unit.

Offline Shimy87

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25 2012, 06:29:30 PM »
I like to see others so I thought I'd post some pic's of the sysyem in the trunk

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #14 on: April 25 2012, 08:31:29 PM »
Looks nice!
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal