Author Topic: Anybody ever ran reverse ackerman on the street?  (Read 12182 times)

Offline wmsonta

• Turbo Street Stock
  • PSI: -1
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
Re: Anybody ever ran reverse ackerman on the street?
« Reply #15 on: August 11 2019, 08:59:15 PM »
So, when you put in on the machine and you have 4 degrees positive caster, maybe set it at 2 degrees positive and see how it does. In the old days, cars w/o P.S. usually ran negative caster. I would aim for 1/16 - 1/8 total toe in. Start at 1/4 degree positive camber and you should be fine. This should be a good starting point to play on the street, if you're are going to road course it only, you can tweak it from there.
I do not have a problem with any of that. Anything within reason. I do not see +4,+5 caster as unreasonable. IMO, the reason why 4 decades of oem A arm cars were spec'd @ -1 to +2.25 caster, was the inability to achieve +3 caster. Not possible w/oem A arms. Race cars designed for 'speedways' could have unreasonable caster for other uses. Earl should be able to change camber some w/weight jacks. My advise on tow in echo's you.

Anti-Ackerman geometry should have nothing to do with steering effort sitting still or traveling straight. I do not believe Earl will have a problem with that part of this. Steering effort @ 5 mph should be half that of sitting still. At 50 mph, his gf should be able to wheel it around.
It will never be a car I would want to parallel park.

Offline earlbrown

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 11 2019, 10:16:40 PM »
Jeez guys...   I was being cute when I asked about ''02 Taurus'' specs.     There's not one damn thing Ford or Taurus on this car!
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline wmsonta

• Turbo Street Stock
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 11 2019, 10:43:52 PM »
That's cute, alright.
What substances were involved in the decision to street this thing?

Offline earlbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 12 2019, 06:08:45 AM »
I like driving things on the street that have bidness on the street.  And I like to build things that can't be bought.

Plus, some rich NECKCAR fan in Peachtree City will probably force me to sell it to them for waaaaaay more than I have in it.
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline Pyro6

• PSI: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 12 2019, 07:33:47 AM »
Jeez guys...   I was being cute when I asked about ''02 Taurus'' specs.     There's not one damn thing Ford or Taurus on this car!
Brain fart. You'd be amazed at how many times I deal with similar front end situations with guys in their street rods and custom cars.. It's just a normal day to me.

Offline wmsonta

• Turbo Street Stock
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 12 2019, 10:19:25 AM »
  And I like to build things

I am glad you do. To be honest, my imagination does not go that far.
I sure would like to make one hot lap though the nearby small town. Just to see if, the local Barney would self administer a sobriety test.

Offline earlbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 12 2019, 10:24:25 AM »
That's the one major downside to this car.   There's no way in hell I can outrun the cops and get away with it.

My Blazer blends, my black ''monte carlo'' blends, and all motorcycles look the same.

This thing is going to stick out even more than my H2O Nympo....

Offline wmsonta

• Turbo Street Stock
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 12 2019, 10:42:07 AM »
Someone w/ulterior motives once told me 'jealousy is a self fulfilling prophesy' so....
Man, you have nice toys..........
maybe I should just cut to the chase and proposition my banker.

Offline Forzfed

• PSI: 5
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 12 2019, 10:47:54 AM »
No zoom headers on the boat? :(

Offline earlbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 12 2019, 11:36:49 AM »
Funny you should mention that...    I'm walking out the door now heading to the machine shop to make some transom block off plates on the lathe.

The engine's out right now but it has a set of upswept drag headers and a tunnel ram going on the new BBC.

...odds are I'll go back to the log manifolds.   The last thing I need is some young chick burning her leg getting back in the boat.

I got too many projects going on at once.  TTA308s GN engine, my boat, and my NECKCAR.   ( and I left my Yamabond and Roberts house so I couldn't build my boat engine this past weekend).

Offline Forzfed

• PSI: 5
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 13 2019, 02:05:04 PM »
Now, only if you could move closer to the border! :icon_lol:

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #26 on: August 13 2019, 04:26:08 PM »
Not sure Earl is allowed into Mexico
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline daveismissing

• Two Buicks- too little money$$
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • Two Buicks- too little money$$
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 13 2019, 07:44:45 PM »
Disclaimer- (IN case DCEPTCN logs in again): Instead of google giving you an image for "mexican" as you had searched you got an image for THE Mexican, a syndicated columnist out of Orange County California. I'm smart is all I'm sayin'.-DCEPTCN
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
Steve Wood

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 13 2019, 09:14:22 PM »
Dave, Greg Smith told me he talks to Sylvan almost every week.  He is not long haul trucking at the moment.  Think he is living in Las Vegas
Steve Wood

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal