Author Topic: preference on brand of TV cable  (Read 6433 times)

Offline dyermullet

• Turbo Street Limited
  • PSI: 0
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
preference on brand of TV cable
« on: November 21 2014, 03:34:50 PM »
Any preference on a brand?  Or better question any bad experience with one brand or another? 
I am dropping the pan this weekend to change my speedo gears. At the same time I am going to try to measure the pv plunger per lonnie's directions and hopefully correct the poor shifting I have been experiencing so far. I want to pickup or order a cable incase I need it, and if I don't use I will keep as a spare.

Offline 1KWIKSIX

• Turbo Street Modified
    • View Profile
Re: preference on brand of TV cable
« Reply #1 on: November 21 2014, 06:05:04 PM »
NOS GM is my preference.... but good luck finding one though!

I see that Brian at GBody Parts has a reproduction TV cable that looks OK......

http://www.gbodyparts.com/product_info.php?cPath=46_21_35&products_id=1087&osCsid=daba409d23371f644b90358dc0a8ba4b

« Last Edit: November 21 2014, 07:08:00 PM by 1KWIKSIX »

Offline dyermullet

• Turbo Street Limited
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21 2014, 06:17:58 PM »
Yeah I already have gm one on the car.

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 1
  • So, This black car is fast?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21 2014, 07:01:16 PM »
If you go in that deep, look into a .500 boost valve, larger rev boost valve and the spring from the 700r4 . You also might want to look into putting a washer between the pin and the spring in the overpreasure valve to prevent the pin from damaging the spring(you will have to pull the pump to do this). If you go deeper, you might inspect the pump vanes and rings, but that requires pulling the pump, too.
I put in a different spring in the tv and a different return spring in the bottom. Sonnax offers a tv spring that is 2.1". That is the length Lonnie d reccomended to me, I don't think that is a coincidence.

Be sure to "pin" the spring in the governor.

Edit.   http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/mobile/Product.aspx?ProductCode=400-07796801K

The tv spring.

http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/mobile/Product.aspx?ProductCode=400-007791708

Spring for the boost spool.
« Last Edit: November 21 2014, 09:09:37 PM by TexasT »
Rich

"Goals without actions are just dreams."

Offline Forzfed

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 5
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23 2014, 02:49:32 PM »
NOS GM is my preference.... but good luck finding one though!

I see that Brian at GBody Parts has a reproduction TV cable that looks OK......

http://www.gbodyparts.com/product_info.php?cPath=46_21_35&products_id=1087&osCsid=daba409d23371f644b90358dc0a8ba4b

I've bought reproduction stuff from Brian that looks okay, but I think someone didn't know how to use a measuring tool. :(

Offline dyermullet

• Turbo Street Limited
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26 2014, 08:04:09 PM »
Bump to the top now I am desperate to find a cable.

Only parts store that even has a listing is Oreilly.  Neither cable fits my car.  CA-1960 and CA-1943 .  Both have the same length outer housing that is approx 1 1/2" shorter than what is on my car.  1943 is listed as 1.5" longer than 1960.  The inner cable is about an inch longer on 1943 than 1960, but they are both identical outer length.  Went back to oreilly they had another 1960 in stock it is identical to the 1960 i had so more than likely not in the wrong package.  I have another 1943 on order it will be here until tuesday.  Went to advance they were able to cross the two numbers so I ordered two cables from them they should arrive Friday.

Where can I buy one that fits?

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • No man lives happily lest he remove the boredom
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27 2014, 09:26:03 AM »
You might call Jake at Jake's performance, http://www.jakesperformance.com/.  He may be able to hook you up with one.
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1982 Jeep Wagoneer Limited
1986 Grand National BLK PHNX
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #7 on: November 27 2014, 09:57:47 AM »
Or call Mike Kurtz at Century Transmissions in Rosenburg and ask him what he uses
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline dyermullet

• Turbo Street Limited
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27 2014, 10:19:42 AM »
Thanks guys.  I'll try mike first since he is closer.  I forgot he was there. 

I guess worst case if I can't fix it myself I can always take the car over there.

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • So, This black car is fast?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27 2014, 10:59:34 AM »
What is the trans doing that makes you unhappy with it? Was there a modification done that after the trans wasn't where you wanted it to be?
Do you have a pressure gauge that can be hooked up to see what the tv valve is doing? If the pump isn't supplying good pressure the trans won't shift well. Without good pressure clutches slip.

Mike and Jake are excellent choices. I'm sure both have forgotten more than I know about transmissions.
Rich

"Goals without actions are just dreams."

Offline larrym

• Turbo Street Eliminator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27 2014, 01:14:46 PM »
Extreme Automatics makes a reproduction cable I have one and I'm quite happy with it.
86 white T type with t tops and blackout trim. 60lb injectors Gen 2 with Extender Chip TR6 ignition 212/206 roller cam Turbonetics BB CPT 61 CAS V4 Intercooler Cobbled together Alky Injection 4 inch MAF pipe with integral sensor
2800 stall lots of fun with a little 6 banger!
Best ET 11.36

Offline 1KWIKSIX

• Turbo Street Modified
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29 2014, 07:02:15 AM »
NOS4GN.com / Highway Stars was working on a replacement TV cable. I recall these were being made in Israel but were undergoing some redesign changes. Can't find them now on their webiste. 
Suggest you give Glenn / Leslie a call for an update.

Offline dyermullet

• Turbo Street Limited
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29 2014, 10:38:09 AM »
After hitting the catalogs I have 8 different cables in my garage.  I have been taking measurements, so far none are a drop in, but I did find one that will work with just a little mod.  I will post pictures and details later.

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29 2014, 10:53:29 AM »
Extreme Automatics makes a reproduction cable I have one and I'm quite happy with it.

x2
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline dyermullet

• Turbo Street Limited
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12 2014, 10:06:49 PM »
Just a followup for anyone who finds this through a search.

After searching the catalogs and the parts stores I found a cable that will work for someone that is desperate.  1987 buick century 2.8L Napa part number 17909,  ATP part number Y228.  This cable is in stock at most of my local stores.  It is ~6 inches longer than the stock cable but that is not a problem, all the other cables the stores have on hand are shorter than the stock cable.  The only problem with this cable is the inner cable length compared to the outer jacket length is a little longer than the stock. To say that another way if you extend both cables fully the century cable is ~ 1/4 longer.   It should be an easy solution to just shorten the inner cable.  You connect the cable to the trans like normal, then on the TB end you just need to shorten the mounting point 1/4"-3/8", you can just slide the eyelet back on the cable and use a small clamp on the cable to effectivly shorten it.   You should be able to find that at a bicycle repair place or a good hardware store. 

I spoke with Mike Kurtz he was very gracious in giving me a few minutes of his time.  He is using a universal TV cable for his customers.

I think the best permanent solution would be to just buy an aftermarket cables that you adjust manually.  It is not that difficult to adjust these things.  I also saw that tc made ez website has universal cables but I didn't check on their lengths.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal