Author Topic: Junk imported parts and stuff  (Read 3223 times)

Offline Pyro6

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
Junk imported parts and stuff
« on: May 23 2011, 06:39:09 PM »
When are we in America going to get back to making our own stuff. Now that the unemployment rate is so high, unions don't seem to influence as much, and too much of the stuff we buy from overseas is junk, can't we start making our own "stuff" again. Come on, tires made in Korea?? It doesn't appear to be a level playing field: foreign labor costs lower, environmental standards slacking, tax breaks for big biz. The specs that are part of the original bids are usually side stepped and those evils don't show up until months or years later. When are we gonna wake up. America=jobless, imports=golden egg. Every time I open a box that's printed Made in China, Portugal, Indonesia, Korea or whatever, I would just love to send it back. We can all shrug our shoulders and say: that's the way it is. If we indeed do that, we will relinquish our status of Superpower of the world. If that happens, whose shoulder will everybody cry on when the next Tsunami, earthquake, crazed dictator, or volcano hits. I'm sorry, but we have enough crisis at home, and we are slowly barely able to afford them. What really pisses me off is that I am just as much to blame as everybody else. I chose to by a Yamaha Warrior, Honda 3813 riding mower, Honda generator, and get this, a John Deere riding mower. John Deere WTF???? Kawasaki engine. So, are we just screwed or what? Health care and being employed by the Government seems to be our future.

Offline gordyzx9r

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 0
  • The Sultan of Swank
    • View Profile
Re: Junk imported parts and stuff
« Reply #1 on: May 23 2011, 07:40:27 PM »
If we do here what foreign markets do our exports there it would be too expensive to purchase imports here and that would help alleviate things.  We also shouldn't allow products into the country that come from some place that has less stringent labor laws, environmental laws, etc. than we've hampered ourselves with here.  Unions once had a purpose in getting safe work conditions and labor laws enacted but nowadays they're a hindrance.  Paying retirees is going to be a huge burden on not only the private sector but also the federal government.  Barring a full scale world war where we come out on top and erase our debts...we're pretty much screwed.

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 234
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23 2011, 07:50:16 PM »
Until we start acting like a superpower,we will never be one. Sadly, I don't think the USA will ever be anywhere near what it was. We are too scared of pissing people off - the huge trade deficits are a big issue, that, the destruction of the parental model, illegal immigration, bleah - it goes on and on.
'87 GN, 60lb, TA49, THDP, FTP cam, T+ lots o' shit - SOLD
'07 Ford F150 Lariat 2WD, 5.4L 3v - 255k
'20 Kubota BX2380. FEL, 60" deck
'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy
'99 Kawasaki Bayou 400 4x4

Offline daveismissing

• Two Buicks- too little money$$
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • Two Buicks- too little money$$
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23 2011, 07:51:35 PM »
With a globalize workforce I don't know if it can even be done anymore. (as per the JD example) We final assemble Hondas in a little town just north of me. I would be afraid to guess what the real North American content is.

I liked the principles of the old autopact. Vehicles sales were roughly spit 80/20 Us/Canada. Production plants were roughly split the same. Parts flowed freely across the border.
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal