Author Topic: Holley Domiator  (Read 3105 times)

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 0
  • No man lives happily lest he remove the boredom
    • View Profile
Holley Domiator
« on: April 18 2019, 08:48:28 AM »
I haven’t researched enough, so I have a question about the system. The claim is real time temp and pressure compensation. Any truth to it?
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1982 Jeep Wagoneer Limited
1986 Grand National BLK PHNX
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Holley Domiator
« Reply #1 on: April 18 2019, 09:05:29 AM »
Wait for Jeremy to chime in.
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline nocooler

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Eliminator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18 2019, 09:50:52 AM »
What do you mean by “real-time” temperature and pressure compensation.
Are you talking elevation and weather? Boost and inlet air temps? Fuel pressure vs fuel temp?

The dominator has a ton of extra I/o and with advanced tables you can pretty much do whatever you can think up.

IhaveaV8

Offline nocooler

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18 2019, 11:46:23 AM »
Some people make claims that there is magic pixie dust in stand alone boxes. When it comes down to it they all do pretty much the same thing. It comes down to the hardware and software differences.
IhaveaV8

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #4 on: April 18 2019, 12:12:55 PM »
All my life, I have been interested in this kind of stuff.  I guess there is a little nerd hiding in my genes?

As I got older, I came to the realization that it is somewhat like marketing the squeal of the pig to make it more attractive.  My experience has been that it does not make the car measurably faster-even for the guys that run high three's in the 1/8th.

These days, it is not so much what the technology can do for your horsepower, it is all about how easy it is to use and how fast you can make a change.  That is what I see in one box against another.  It will not make a dumb-ass faster but it can help him blow up faster.  The faster your car goes, the less time there is for subtle changes to have an effect.

It still gets down to how fast you can hook your car up and leave the line and how you can help the suspension do it's job.  One can have a killer 60' foot time and still blow the tires away after that and run a slow time.  Art and science mix together on launch.  Modern systems give the driver a chance to use his art to a fuller extent.  All the bells and whistles that you can tweak to make potential one average hp is nothing compared to putting all the power possible to the ground and controlling it.

If you are old like me and your reaction time is about one week, you might as well just hang around the Dairy Queen or Wawa and try to impress the ricers.

Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline nocooler

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18 2019, 01:42:16 PM »
For me being able to tell the thing to auto log @ WOT for X time or trans brake release is going to be helpful. I have lost more log data than I'd like due to the way hp tuner handles logging and saving files. If you don't stop the log and save it before you shut the car off 99% of the time you'll loose your log. Of course there are times on the street when it might not be in your best interest to have a log of what you are doing.
IhaveaV8

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18 2019, 01:49:40 PM »
LOL, agreed and agreed!
Steve Wood

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18 2019, 02:01:00 PM »
I guess my question kind of misleads about how one interprets the data.  All have a correction to reach the desired AFR.  I guess what I read was more of a sales ploy rather than actual performance of the product.

Data acquisition, the speed at which the data is interpreted, input, calculated and then a command sent back to said component to ultimately satisfy an equation is what intrigues me. The ease of viewing the data is another.  I’m still working on my interpretation of that data because I’m still learning the science of everything else. Another thing that gets me is the diagnostic part of determining what component or sensor may be misleading my data interpretation .  Or sensor may be bad, ground not quite cancelling the noise... it’s can be so many things. 

I’ve seen the software while a fella was on the dyno, but never got to fiddle with it.  It appeared to be very intuitive. Oh well,... blue box for me... for now.
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline nocooler

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18 2019, 02:12:49 PM »
Here is the closed loop fueling tables
IhaveaV8

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18 2019, 04:21:44 PM »
MS3 doesn’t allow for independent corrections for + or -  Whatever number you enter, up to 50 is the same for adding or subtracting fuel. Most tuning folks I deal with don’t like this about MS3. Although I have never seen an o2 sensor fail on the rich side, the argument for only being able to pull a set amount of fuel is understandable
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline nocooler

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18 2019, 05:55:07 PM »
Dude your system should do everything you want the MS3 is no slouch. Wide open correction gets you pointed in a direction, and is nice as a fail safe. I'm not planning on running down the track with +/- 50% correction enabled that just seems like your rolling the dice. 
IhaveaV8

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18 2019, 07:53:01 PM »
I know several people who will do everything possible to not buy from Holley due to its history of non-customer support whereas Megasquirt is known for it's strong support.

Holley has always been good about marketing the "squeal" but they have not been so good about supporting their products.  For a Buick, I would go Megasquirt for this reason.  I have been around long enuf to understand that both will supply equivalent performance.

As Lawrence Conley said so many years ago.  There is no magic in the parts.  It's all about combination.
Steve Wood

Offline nocooler

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19 2019, 11:27:52 AM »
Just more info for the conversation.
Holley has two different modes - learn and closed loop. I've got more reading to do. The manual is 65 pages and is pretty good. The help button takes you to the spot in the manual for the page your on. Holley has some good tutorial videos, and some dealers/tuners have started making them too. Most of the stuff from the HP/Dominator software applies.
For me I think the thought of having something to look forward to is worth more than the ECU itself at this point.

IhaveaV8

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21 2019, 12:37:24 PM »
That one table is huge! I currently am using a VE table 1 and a VE table 3. Looks like you have that detail all on one table
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal