Author Topic: SD1 upgrade to SD2?  (Read 1741 times)

Offline NO1B4ME

• PSI: 0
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
SD1 upgrade to SD2?
« on: May 13 2020, 03:06:28 PM »
Hi all, I have been out of the Buick scene for almost 12yrs now, anyhow we currently have the TT SD1 chip, is there any reason to upgrade to the SD2 chip, can anyone tell me if the upgrade is worth it if I already have the SD1 chip?
Thanks in advance
Rob

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 1
  • So, This black car is fast?
    • View Profile
Re: SD1 upgrade to SD2?
« Reply #1 on: May 16 2020, 08:24:14 AM »
welcome to the site. 
Not sure on the upgrade or even what the sd1 entails. I do know the sd2 requires some tuning to get it to go and many at that point go to an after market ecm. I think the reason to go to the sd2 is to eliminate the maf and go speed density. 
Rich

"Goals without actions are just dreams."

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #2 on: May 16 2020, 11:53:12 AM »
Pretty much wrong all the way, Rich!  LOL

The SD1 is a speed density chip that does not use a maf.  It can be run open loop without a wide band, or it can be run closed loop with a wide band.  It comes set up for your combination and will run right out of the box. It has 20 plus parameters that can be adjusted altho I only use a handful.  Gives you more control of fueling and timing than the normal chips.  It's a modernized version of the MaxEffort thumbwheel chip by Steve Yaklin.  Steve gave Eric the code for his chip.

The SD2 is built upon the SD1 but it was given the ability to start with the base settings from Eric for your set up and then, using PowerLogger, you can go in and smooth out the A/F tables, etc. just like a modern aftermarket system.  As it still used the the factory ecm, it did not have the total flexibility of a modern system but it was a good stepping system for those that like to tweak things.

Bob and Eric both worked on the SD2.  They then took that work and started to build their own modern aftermarket system using the MegaSquirt3 and their own software.  This gives them the ability to deliver a system set up for your car which would run right out of the box without a lot of set up.  

The MS3 is a great system and very nicely priced.  William Avila just ran 8.9 a week ago on one, but one must tune it completely to get it to run.  Last I checked, it is something like $1300.  I think the Eric/Bob Buick Ecu or whatever it is called is more like $1900 with all their software but even a beginner should be able to install it and go for a drive.  Knowledge is worth money for the smart, experienced guys as I see it :D

Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline NO1B4ME

• PSI: 0
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16 2020, 04:02:17 PM »
Hi Steve, thanks for the details... I take it that you are still running the SD1 chip.... I am inquiring if the SD2 upgrade would benefit the drivability for the street with the odd WOT blast when safe and necessary !!!!!
Have you tried the SD2? Im not looking for a world of difference but maybe to tinker and OCD fine tune.
I would suspect the SD2 is setup the same way as the SD1 with a default base map for your specific car setup..... That is always a nice  life perserver to have.... Lol

I dont want to go with any type of Pro series ECM's..... Just want to keep the stock ECM.

Currently my car runs great, even after hibernating for the last 12 years.... I just had to reset the parameters #6 and #16. 129 & 105 respectively.
And it fired right up.... Fresh fuel as well.
Looking for some further insight to the SD2 benefits.
Thanks
Rob

It took me a while to find this new to me forum.... When I was in the Buick scene, I primarily cruised around TurboBuicks. @om
I see everyone migrated to this forum.
Cheers
Rob

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #4 on: May 16 2020, 07:30:07 PM »
I'm still running SD1.  I really did not see any significant benefits in the 2 for me as I am not racing anything.  Been awhile since I read the write up to see what I might change for drivability.  My opinion in general was that it might eke a few hundredths out of a low ten second car but nothing big.
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal