Author Topic: Spitting black gobs out exhaust, INT 160, stuff in radiator...fun.  (Read 48930 times)

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 234
    • View Profile
Re: Spitting black gobs out exhaust, INT 160, stuff in radiator...fun.
« Reply #75 on: August 27 2012, 11:41:08 AM »
Come to think of it, in my limited experience, I don't remember seeing adjustable push rods used in TR motors.
'87 GN, 60lb, TA49, THDP, FTP cam, T+ lots o' shit - SOLD
'07 Ford F150 Lariat 2WD, 5.4L 3v - 255k
'20 Kubota BX2380. FEL, 60" deck
'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy
'99 Kawasaki Bayou 400 4x4

Offline Just a Six?

• OK Now who Farted??
  • Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 27 2012, 11:55:42 AM »
It's almost as if the pushrods hit the exact same spot many times but it should be spinning & hitting many spots??  :chin:
David
87 LTD. Purchased May 88
Doeskin leather, coach lites without Landau Roof, moon roof, carpeted trunk & No Factory Hood Ornament!
The sticker on AC shows a V-8 Carb car. Special order by Mr. Nick Hall VP of GM Canada
Runs 11.50 on 21 lbs with my old style 67 Q Trim & Alchy

Offline Just a Six?

• OK Now who Farted??
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 27 2012, 11:56:55 AM »
Come to think of it, in my limited experience, I don't remember seeing adjustable push rods used in TR motors.

I used them for a season but they never did that? maybe the geometry is messed up??
David
87 LTD. Purchased May 88
Doeskin leather, coach lites without Landau Roof, moon roof, carpeted trunk & No Factory Hood Ornament!
The sticker on AC shows a V-8 Carb car. Special order by Mr. Nick Hall VP of GM Canada

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 27 2012, 12:00:19 PM »
I can't tell if the tops of the adjustment bolts/nuts are slightly rounded? I see the nicking on the rocker arms..

'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #79 on: August 27 2012, 12:17:52 PM »
should be able to reinstall the shafts/rockers and then see/feel if the nuts are close to touching..as the engine runs and expands the gaps will close to some extent

Any signs on any of the nuts that they have touched?  Particularly on the ones that had the gouged rockers?  Does not take much to make a tick sound
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline gordyzx9r

• PSI: 0
  • The Sultan of Swank
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 27 2012, 12:46:14 PM »
I don't understand...t hey should be doing what?

Offline gordyzx9r

• The Sultan of Swank
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 27 2012, 01:28:47 PM »
I'm thinking it's time I found a TR shop/mechanic that is up to date with these cars and the current technology that's located in the Gulf South region somewhere. 

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 27 2012, 01:33:57 PM »
a couple of rockers looks like they have been scarred.  To the nuts on the corresponding push rods show any evidence of contact on the corners of the nuts...??
Steve Wood

Offline Just a Six?

• OK Now who Farted??
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 27 2012, 01:58:22 PM »
I'm thinking it's time I found a TR shop/mechanic that is up to date with these cars and the current technology that's located in the Gulf South region somewhere. 

Not until you try a couple things first!
Put it back together but leave the valve cover off. Start the car & listen if you hear the ticking from any of the pushrods slapping the rocker arms. If not put the valve cover back on. Then unbolt the flywheel cover & check the 3 bolts are tight.
Also look for cracks at each bolt hole.
If they are ok then start the car & listen to that area & see what you hear? Just be carefull as the flywheel will be spinng & it's teeth are no match for your body parts!
David
87 LTD. Purchased May 88

Offline gordyzx9r

• The Sultan of Swank
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 27 2012, 02:35:30 PM »

Not until you try a couple things first!
Put it back together but leave the valve cover off. Start the car & listen if you hear the ticking from any of the pushrods slapping the rocker arms. If not put the valve cover back on.

I put it back together yesterday.  I did not feeling anything contacting the valve covers, and on the passenger side I didn't see any evidence of contact on the inside of the valve cover.  I stared it, and I didn't hear anything odd at the motor nor did I feel anything odd bouncing against the valve covers.

Then unbolt the flywheel cover & check the 3 bolts are tight.
Also look for cracks at each bolt hole.

Plan on doing that once this storm passes.

If they are ok then start the car & listen to that area & see what you hear? Just be carefull as the flywheel will be spinng & it's teeth are no match for your body parts!

That's really where it sounds like it's coming from.

Offline earlbrown

• PSI: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 27 2012, 02:40:48 PM »
Gordy, the flywheel bolts are a quick and EASY check to do. Get a 15mm wrench and hang it on whatever bolt is showing. Yank it in the direction to tighten it until it's flush with the DS of the block (you'll be able tell right then if it was loose or not). When you get there the next bolt will be cued up.

Based on my experience if a loose bolt issue is your problem, they will all be loose fairly evenly.

On your pushrods it looks like one jamnut is down against the rod and the other is up against the rocker ball....    Are they supposed to be like that? If the threaded portion is a stud I could see that. If the threaded portion is captive to the ball, they both might need to be down on the pushrod side (away from the rocker).

I didn't realize you were around the Dothan area. I almost ran down to my moms condo in PCB this weekend but I couldn't allocate the gas money  (plus the girl I'm talking to is stuck in school during the week  :tongue ). I pass right through there getting on 231 Just past the Harbor Freight store!
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline gordyzx9r

• The Sultan of Swank
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 27 2012, 03:22:21 PM »
Gordy, the flywheel bolts are a quick and EASY check to do. Get a 15mm wrench and hang it on whatever bolt is showing. Yank it in the direction to tighten it until it's flush with the DS of the block (you'll be able tell right then if it was loose or not). When you get there the next bolt will be cued up.

Based on my experience if a loose bolt issue is your problem, they will all be loose fairly evenly.

On your pushrods it looks like one jamnut is down against the rod and the other is up against the rocker ball....    Are they supposed to be like that? If the threaded portion is a stud I could see that. If the threaded portion is captive to the ball, they both might need to be down on the pushrod side (away from the rocker).

I didn't realize you were around the Dothan area. I almost ran down to my moms condo in PCB this weekend but I couldn't allocate the gas money  (plus the girl I'm talking to is stuck in school during the week  :tongue ). I pass right through there getting on 231 Just past the Harbor Freight store!

I know exactly where that's at...I'm actually about 20 minutes west of Dothan. 

Offline gordyzx9r

• The Sultan of Swank
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 02 2012, 08:19:26 PM »
Best I can tell the converter bolts are tight.  I don't have the time to figure this out, especially after Isaac is gonna have us running around like crazy in the Gulf South.  So, I'm taking it to Chris Hogeland to get this thing ironed out.  Been doing allot of reading on the adjustable push rods and the cam I have and have pretty much come to the conclusion that Bill's achilles heel is his reluctance to keep up with the current TR technology on the market today.

Pulled the white one out of storage finally and gonna tinker with it a bit while the black one is in the shop.  Almost tempted to try and trade the white one on a stock TR, not real keen on white cars.  It needs paint, so I'm thinking I might see if I can find someone that does paint at the local autocraft shop.  Was thinking a two tone, white and blue with silver or grey pin stripes to separate the two colors.     

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 02 2012, 09:10:57 PM »
I always thought you used an adjustable pushrod to get the proper length, then had non adjustable units machined.
'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 02 2012, 09:57:43 PM »
That is the best way.  Second best is to shim the rocker shafts
Steve Wood

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal