Author Topic: can somebody look at the PL logs and tell me what the hell I'm missing?...  (Read 2373 times)

Offline earlbrown

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 6
    • View Profile
So a week or two ago I pulled the GN out of the garage to wash it YET AGAIN in the hopes of clay barring it and waxing it.  (just to put it back, get contaminants on it, and cycle repeats itself)

I decided to attempt to tune this POS again so I got back to basics.  I stared with a Commander chip.  When the very small amount of knock appears on the powerlogger, it's LOUD LOUD LOUD in real life.   I can't put in to words how bad it sounds. It's literally worse than any engine I've ever heard by far. (If I didn't have earlbrown pistons and cometics, It'd be on a stand).   

Next I put in a 5.6 TT chip and drove to the beers store and back.  This time I can have lots of knock retard and it's inaudible.  Just runs like shit.

After that I put in a 6.1 TT, turned off WB correction and drove home.  While almost home, irritated enough, I thought I'd give the pistons and gaskets another chance to prove themselves.  Laid into it and just listened to it run like shit.  It was so soggy, it felt like I was dumping raw fuel to the extent that it felt like it was running on 4 or 5 for a second or two.   Then the knock sets in.

For some reason, everytime I crack the throttle fueling drops to the floor.  I though my Delco NB might have been off since it tends to not agree with the PLX WB....    Installed a Denso and had no change.  I have ceramic coated headers so normally my NB is pretty damn active.    A loose hypothesis right now is that raw fuel is putting out the NB and there's so much fuel the burn is actually lean (used to see that sometimes in the ATV bidness).

One think I've learned is to not always trust your tools explicitly. My boost is backed down as far as it'll go, so theoretically I should be pig rich since the chips are burned for higher boost levels.

What's really bad is my car was stolen before the PL was a thing so I have zero experience on this car with correct running logs.  So no baseline to work from.

...oh, and what's really screwy...   On the last run, when I got back home I noticed I though a cam sensor code.  But the car would fire right up over and over.  I also tested an ECM for a friend last week, so I'm pretty sure my ECM is still working fine.
« Last Edit: August 31 2019, 04:01:38 PM by earlbrown »
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
Seems to me that the wb and the nb are pretty much in agreement that the car is lean as it can be and still run.

Are the plugs wet or white?  If I recall correctly, wet plugs that don't fire right will give off lean O2's.

What is the fuel pressure doing?

Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile

KR is real. It's running lean. I'll assume the 5.6 chip matches your injectors. Fuel pressure is rising with boost? 42's are to cold for anything under 25 PSI. CR 43's are the cats ass.

Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
also, pull your cam sensor cap and see if it has any tiny cracks in the plastic on the inside

Also disconnect the cam sensor and see if it then runs right
« Last Edit: August 31 2019, 10:14:57 PM by Steve Wood »
Steve Wood

Offline earlbrown

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 6
    • View Profile
Re: can somebody look at the PL logs and tell me what the hell I'm missing?...
« Reply #4 on: September 01 2019, 03:49:38 PM »
That's what is so weird. The small amount of knock with the commander is loud as holy hell. The much greater knock from the TT chips are inaudable most of the time.

Fuel pressure is working right,  Obviously I can't test it at 20psi of boost, but it has pressure at the injectors and swapped out the FPR just to make sure.

I've sent my injectors to Chuck twice but I wish I had another set of 60's to swap in just to verify that.

The cam sensor code it threw did catch me off guard. It's a new one that has less than 1000 miles on it.  It's the one I packratted way back when Zap found them for $36 then overnight they all vanished and a certain vendor suddenly had them in stock for something like $300+.

I'm almost wondering if I need to pull the engine harness and grab the DMM and some beers.

Needless to say I don't enjoy owning this piece of shit that's taking up 1/2 my covered parking spaces.
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
Re: can somebody look at the PL logs and tell me what the hell I'm missing?...
« Reply #5 on: September 01 2019, 03:58:14 PM »
crank it up, unplug the cam sensor and see if it still does it.  I fixed one yesterday that was acting very similar to yours
Steve Wood

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal