Author Topic: Water under car  (Read 4798 times)

Offline rhturbo

• Bone Stock
  • PSI: 0
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
Water under car
« on: July 01 2019, 08:05:03 AM »
Hi Everyone,
My AC seems nice and cold although I will say after an hour of driving it seemed like it wasn't quite as cool. Parked car in garage. Came out an hour later and there was a large puddle of water under car and running out the front. Looks to be coming from passenger side . Is this normal or is something freezing up and then thawing when car is turned off ?

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 1
  • So, This black car is fast?
    • View Profile
Re: Water under car
« Reply #1 on: July 01 2019, 08:43:13 AM »
I'm guessing it is humid where you are. The condensate drain is there under the air box. Just don't let the drain get clogged up ot you will have a wet footed passenger and pass foot well.
Rich

"Goals without actions are just dreams."

Offline rhturbo

• Bone Stock
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01 2019, 08:52:54 AM »
Yes yesterday as quite humid. I know there will be some water dripping under car when air is running but this was fairly substantial. Would low freon cause it to ice up ?

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #3 on: July 01 2019, 08:54:24 AM »
It's normal to drain a little water as the cool evaporator condenses water from the warmer air and it drips out the drain tube under the car.

On the other hand, if the system is a bit low on freon (or not working properly with regard to metering) the condensation will freeze on the evaporator and block air flow.  You can notice that the fan is not blowing as hard out the vents as it was initially and the air flow may not be as cold any more.

If you continue driving but turn the AC off for  five or ten minutes, and then turn it back on, it will blow harder and colder again-if the evaporator is indeed frozen solid.
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline rhturbo

• Bone Stock
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02 2019, 06:15:45 AM »
Thanks I suspect its freezing judging by the amount of water I saw on the floor. I will get the Freon checked.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal