Tech Area > A/C, Heating and Cooling

replaced A/C condenser, what next?

(1/6) > >>

GavinHunyady:
So my original '86 condenser had sprung a leak, A/C quit working about 12years ago. I found the tell-tale stain on the A/C condenser followed by an oily film all over the lower core support. So I'm making the educated guess that was the culprit of the A/C failure. While the system has been "closed" this whole time, it has had a leak, and when I replaced the condenser the o-rings looked really good. Is it safe to just fill it with some R-12 replacement and give it a whirl, or is it a better idea to replace the drier(?) as well?
I'm looking for cheap and easy without stepping over a dollar to save a nickel. Looks like the drier is only $18, and the refridgerant is more than that... so maybe I answered my own question, but I'd still like to check that I'm not overlooking anything.

Scoobum:
For 18 bucks I'd replace the drier...and I'd replace the orings...but that's just me. It's the small things that'll come back and bite you in the ass.

good2win22:
Don't forget the orifice tube when replacing the dryer. 

GavinHunyady:
whats the deal on the orifice tube?

good2win22:
Others may know more about it than I do. I have seen them clogged up on vehicles that have had compressor problems and with folks who have put in freon with sealant.  They're an inexpensive peace of mind thing for me.  If you're going to have the dryer off, might as well reach in there with some needle nose and pull out the orifice tube

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version