Author Topic: Repaint Header Panel  (Read 28258 times)

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Repaint Header Panel
« Reply #45 on: October 02 2017, 04:35:41 PM »
Hit it with the black base today...and it crowfooted in a couple places. Gonna let it dry in till Wednesday...sa nd them out and retry.
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 0
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 02 2017, 07:54:46 PM »
Hit it with the black base today...and it crowfooted in a couple places. Gonna let it dry in till Wednesday...sa nd them out and retry.
I have a question for you
When you spray the black base, did you waited awhile then spray the clear coat, or did you just spray the black base only?
87 GN T-Top, ScanMaster, hot-wire kit, Full Throttle chips w/ matching 60# injectors, adj. fuel pump, and triple pod gauges w/ AEM A/F gauge, oil pressure gauge, vac/boost gauge, Kenne Belle rear seat brace, upgraded tranny w/ Art Carr pan cover, and a pre-lube oil system.

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 02 2017, 07:59:51 PM »
I strictly hit it with the black base today. I'm gonna try and sand out the crows feet in a couple of days when it really hardens up. I was pleased with the finish work I did. It didn't show any scratches and you'd never know it was broke in half.

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 02 2017, 11:11:32 PM »
I strictly hit it with the black base today. I'm gonna try and sand out the crows feet in a couple of days when it really hardens up. I was pleased with the finish work I did. It didn't show any scratches and you'd never know it was broke in half.
Hope all works well, and I can't believe that idiot broke the bumper in half. What was the purpose for breaking the bumper in half?
87 GN T-Top, ScanMaster, hot-wire kit, Full Throttle chips w/ matching 60# injectors, adj. fuel pump, and triple pod gauges w/ AEM A/F gauge, oil pressure gauge, vac/boost gauge, Kenne Belle rear seat brace, upgraded tranny w/ Art Carr pan cover, and a pre-lube oil system.

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 03 2017, 09:29:09 AM »
We found the car 5 days after it was stolen in the back of an 18 wheeler. No idea how he broke it. I could write a book about what happened.

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 03 2017, 06:27:45 PM »
We found the car 5 days after it was stolen in the back of an 18 wheeler. No idea how he broke it. I could write a book about what happened.
Wow, you are lucky to find it, back in NY if a car was stolen, it would be strip in 5 minutes and the parts would be in boxes inside an 18 wheeler.

Offline daveismissing

• Two Buicks- too little money$$
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • Two Buicks- too little money$$
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 03 2017, 09:30:19 PM »
I know of mine and one other that were recovered, believe the cops were already onto the "ring" when they got mine.
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 04 2017, 05:46:52 PM »

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 04 2017, 06:01:41 PM »
Paint is acrylic lacquer for the base and clear.

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 05 2017, 09:19:59 AM »
Paint is acrylic lacquer for the base and clear.

WOW, not only did you did an excellent work on the paint work, and putting it together after being split in two looks great.
I see you remove the two little strip metal on the bumper, and that also looks good. I was thinking of also removing them from both bumpers, but I don't have a welding machine to fill in the bolted holes.
Are the ATR lettering welded in?

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 05 2017, 09:33:20 AM »
The ATR logo was put in when they made the mold. This is how it originally came from ATR. I've seen other guys weld in the holes on a stock steel bumper to give it a 'smooth' look.

I did some searching on YouTube on why the paint will 'checker'.

Using two different paints. Different clear over the base.

Chemical reaction from the paint you're painting over.

Putting it on too thick...which I think was my issue.

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 05 2017, 09:55:16 PM »
The ATR logo was put in when they made the mold. This is how it originally came from ATR. I've seen other guys weld in the holes on a stock steel bumper to give it a 'smooth' look.

I did some searching on YouTube on why the paint will 'checker'.

Using two different paints. Different clear over the base.

Chemical reaction from the paint you're painting over.

Putting it on too thick...which I think was my issue.
It's funny you mention about the chemical reaction
I sprayed black enamel on a tin can that was sprayed with black primer, and then I used the 2k clear epoxy over the enamel and after it started to dry some spots started to blisher.
I'm in the process of putting everything back together and I will post some pictures of how close the header panel is matches the original paint.

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 06 2017, 10:07:41 AM »
One of the parts places a couple towns over from me...if you give them the paint code for your car...can match it in an aerosol can for you.

Offline Just a Six?

• OK Now who Farted??
  • Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 06 2017, 04:10:50 PM »
Brad with some practice you could apply for the job of narrator on one of the reality shows! Definitely better than Huffing the Aerosol cans in the garage.  :icon_eyes:
David
87 LTD. Purchased May 88
Doeskin leather, coach lites without Landau Roof, moon roof, carpeted trunk & No Factory Hood Ornament!
The sticker on AC shows a V-8 Carb car. Special order by Mr. Nick Hall VP of GM Canada
Runs 11.50 on 21 lbs with my old style 67 Q Trim & Alchy

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 06 2017, 05:39:40 PM »
One of the parts places a couple towns over from me...if you give them the paint code for your car...can match it in an aerosol can for you.

When I started my quest on repairing and repaint the header panel and also fit and paint the front and rear bumper fillers; I went to auto stores and PPG paint shop to see if they can do a spray can of Buick code WA848 black paint. They claimed no one does that, and you need to buy the pint or gallon, spray gun, and all the accessories that goes with auto painting.
I checked my truck code and found Buick code WA848 black which is also the same as the one I mention: Sem GM Factory base Black (WA8555)
The inserted pictures are the results to which I think is pretty close to the factory color.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal