Author Topic: Unifor Super Bowl ads  (Read 2839 times)

Offline daveismissing

• Two Buicks- too little money$$
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
    • View Profile
Unifor Super Bowl ads
« on: February 04 2019, 01:09:07 PM »
The Canadian subsidiary of General Motors has tried to stop an autoworkers’ union from airing a critical TV commercial during the Super Bowl, but the union said it planned to move forward with the ad regardless.

The 30-second ad, paid for Unifor, calls the automaker greedy and “un-Canadian.” It was scheduled to broadcast on Canadian TV stations during Sunday’s game.

GM sent a cease-and-desist letter to Unifor on Friday giving it a Saturday deadline to stop using the ad, but Unifor president Jerry Dias said Sunday that the union had no plans to back off.

“I didn’t pick this fight, GM picked this fight. I’m going to do everything humanely possible to get their attention,” Dias said in an interview.

Related:
Super Bowl ad winners: Bud Light, Amazon

GM announced plans in November to close its car factory in Oshawa, Ont., costing the jobs of about 2,600 blue-collar workers.

The commercial accuses GM of continuing to expand in Mexico while leaving Canadians “out in the cold,” and also references the federal government’s 2009 bailout of GM and Chrysler.

A statement from GM on Sunday said the company respects the union’s right to protest, but accused the Super Bowl ad of “misleading the Canadian public.”

Dias said the union hopes to continue bringing attention to the closure by buying more airtime for its ad on other programs, such as the Golden Globes and Maple Leaf games.

“They can bring all the lawyers they want. They’re not going to win this in a courtroom,” said Dias. “We are not going to fold and they can sue all they want.”

Last month, Unifor called for a boycott of GM vehicles made in Mexico as part of its campaign to save the Oshawa assembly plant, but the company has remained firm in its plans to close the facility.
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline daveismissing

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
Re: Unifor Super Bowl ads
« Reply #1 on: February 04 2019, 01:57:28 PM »

Offline Forzfed

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 5
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04 2019, 03:49:51 PM »
I have a few friends that are tech's at GM and they say the serial numbers starting with 3(Mexico)  tend to have the most problems.  So, I guess we will see how this works out for them!

Offline Just a Six?

• OK Now who Farted??
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06 2019, 05:59:59 PM »
Seems to me that the Union bashing GM like they have been on local news that it isn't going to sway GM to change their minds about closing the plant. Catch more flies with honey comes to mind but they are doing the opposite & I just don't see that helping them?
David
87 LTD. Purchased May 88
Doeskin leather, coach lites without Landau Roof, moon roof, carpeted trunk & No Factory Hood Ornament!
The sticker on AC shows a V-8 Carb car. Special order by Mr. Nick Hall VP of GM Canada
Runs 11.50 on 21 lbs with my old style 67 Q Trim & Alchy

Offline Forzfed

• Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06 2019, 06:51:49 PM »
When it comes to most CEO's there is no changing their minds!  If you don't tell them what they want to hear they will get someone else to.  Hopefully Canada and the US can stall their sales!

Offline daveismissing

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06 2019, 09:13:28 PM »
Seems to me that the Union bashing GM like they have been on local news that it isn't going to sway GM to change their minds about closing the plant. Catch more flies with honey comes to mind but they are doing the opposite & I just don't see that helping them?
Maybe not , but maybe when they see the hit to sales they rethink  what they do at Ingersol, or Lansing.
The Toyota Camry is the most American content vehicle now, and the Honda Civic for Canada.

Offline Forzfed

• Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06 2019, 09:41:52 PM »
Considering Canada and US buy the majority of GM vehicles this can't be a good move for them.

Offline Just a Six?

• OK Now who Farted??
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07 2019, 08:27:16 PM »
Maybe not , but maybe when they see the hit to sales they rethink  what they do at Ingersol, or Lansing.
The Toyota Camry is the most American content vehicle now, and the Honda Civic for Canada.

So the kids aren't going to buy a GM car because it may have some parts installed in it that were made in Mexico or possibly be partially assembled in Mexico? Maybe in the Old days when we were young & there was the customer loyalty with the Win on Sunday, Buy on Monday attitude but I really doubt the kids these days could care less as long as the price is right & it's earth friendly.
Now I don't have kids but even if some do say Screw GM I don't think it will be in large numbers & I also think that people forget quickly & in a year or two it's a non issue? Who knows?

David
87 LTD. Purchased May 88
Doeskin leather, coach lites without Landau Roof, moon roof, carpeted trunk & No Factory Hood Ornament!
The sticker on AC shows a V-8 Carb car. Special order by Mr. Nick Hall VP of GM Canada
Runs 11.50 on 21 lbs with my old style 67 Q Trim & Alchy

Offline turbobuickltd

• Bone Stock
  • PSI: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07 2019, 08:39:01 PM »
People are not buying their product, also Sam McLaughlin signed a 100 agreement with GM, to build in Oshawa, well that contract is up.  Diaz gave nothing but false hope to his membership and obviously does not give at shit about the 10s of thousands of non unionized workers at the dealerships.  GM builds cars in China and sells them here.  The affordable family sedan has been perfected by Toyota and Honda. Ford just flat out gave up making them, GM should do the same.
1987 Buick Regal Limited Turbo T
1991 Oldsmobile 98 Regency Elite
1992 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
2008 Ford F150 4.6L 2wd 'cause 4wd only gets you stuck further from the road!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal