Author Topic: cam swap  (Read 15123 times)

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 1
  • So, This black car is fast?
    • View Profile
Re: cam swap
« Reply #15 on: August 03 2016, 09:33:05 PM »
What cam did you go with?
Rich

"Goals without actions are just dreams."

Offline Shimy87

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 03 2016, 09:37:01 PM »
206/206 from TA Performance
87 GN, K&N cold air, gutted cat, TT 5.7 chip, AFPR, 340 Walbro w/ hotwire, 60 LBS injectors, 981 valve springs, 206/206 Cam, RJC Powerplate, LS1 MAF & translator, Vacuum brakes, Hellwig rear sway bar, Energy suspension poly bushings, Razors Alky, Pypes exhaust, 5931 turbo, CK9.5 converter

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #17 on: August 03 2016, 09:41:34 PM »
A prime example of why I use a stock style chain and tensioner setup. Of course, it's not cool...and it works mint. Two reasons not to use it, I suppose.

Amen
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline Shimy87

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 03 2016, 09:53:21 PM »
Couldnt get a stock type set-up....no one had one in stock that I tried
87 GN, K&N cold air, gutted cat, TT 5.7 chip, AFPR, 340 Walbro w/ hotwire, 60 LBS injectors, 981 valve springs, 206/206 Cam, RJC Powerplate, LS1 MAF & translator, Vacuum brakes, Hellwig rear sway bar, Energy suspension poly bushings, Razors Alky, Pypes exhaust, 5931 turbo, CK9.5 converter

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 03 2016, 09:56:10 PM »
TA had none? AutoZone zilch? I would have sworn Rock would have had them
Steve Wood

Offline Shimy87

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 03 2016, 10:10:04 PM »
TA was out of them, they had the cam tho...Rock also struck out..didnt try the zone, did try napa and auto value here in town...no luck, Cotton performance had the comp timing set-up and the arp head bolts I needed. I saw on the other board you said you ran a double roller in your car, post was 2004. Did it give you problems? Feel like im kinda stuck with it

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 03 2016, 10:18:39 PM »
Got mine over the counter from some shit ass parts place around the corner from Dans shop. :)
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 03 2016, 10:30:49 PM »
TA was out of them, they had the cam tho...Rock also struck out..didnt try the zone, did try napa and auto value here in town...no luck, Cotton performance had the comp timing set-up and the arp head bolts I needed. I saw on the other board you said you ran a double roller in your car, post was 2004. Did it give you problems? Feel like im kinda stuck with it

I run a double roller on a roller cam that has a cam sprocket that requires a double roller.  The first one stretched and was slapping the timing cover in 2000 miles.  I then bought a Roll Master which cost over a hundred bucks and so far it has been okay.

Rollmaster is one of the best chains out there and is not made in China.

Double roller chains are normally used in higher rpm engines with lots of valve spring tension...the opposite of our engines.

Many double rollers will chew up the tensioner and throw metal thru the oiling system and then they stretch and retard the cam timing as well as sometimes hitting the cover and setting off the knock sensor.

Some will argue that some chains don't chew the tensioner but I have not seen one with my own eyes that was made for our tensioners...m ight be

I sent you to TA because I know they are selling US made Johnson lifters with the hardened bases like GM originally used and not the crap that a lot of cam manufacturers sell that often do not survive the break in period.  Hopefully the more reputable cam companies are now selliing them instead of the soft based chinese junk.

I should state that I am not a vendor and don't have any reason to sell stuff that is not needed.
Steve Wood

Offline Shimy87

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 03 2016, 10:56:52 PM »
Guess ill call ta again tomorrow and see if they got any in yet. I dont want to have to take this apart again!!

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 1
  • So, This black car is fast?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 04 2016, 09:37:38 AM »
Rich

"Goals without actions are just dreams."

Offline Shimy87

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 04 2016, 03:27:05 PM »
Found a Stock timing set at Car Quest, solid USA MFG, SA Gear. Price was great also!! relieved I was able to get the stock set-up!!

Offline Shimy87

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 05 2016, 11:35:54 AM »
What should I torque the ARP head bolts to, Cottons told me 80 lbs, the ARP box says 70 lbs???? Also should I use the thread sealer under the washers at the bolt head along with it the threads??

Thanks!!

Offline Forzfed

• PSI: 5
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 05 2016, 12:15:17 PM »
Most torque the head bolts 10 over like Cotton suggested.  I wouldn't put sealant under the washer, no need as long as you have them on the threads.

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 05 2016, 03:54:17 PM »
so is that 10 over using arp's thread lube, or is that using oil on the threads?
Steve Wood

Offline Shimy87

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 05 2016, 03:58:33 PM »
I need so use thread sealant so im assuming 80 with the thread sealant. It also says to put thread lubricant between the bolt head and washer.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal