Author Topic: vaccuum leak test ?  (Read 2470 times)

Offline shmed

• Turbo Street Limited
  • PSI: 0
    • View Profile
vaccuum leak test ?
« on: September 15 2013, 02:37:52 PM »
this car seems to be losing vaccuum ??
started at 15-16 "  at idle  changed a vew lines figuring itll get better now its at 11"s
my question can i blow compressed air into one of the vac lines an soap test the system that way?

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
Re: vaccuum leak test ?
« Reply #1 on: September 15 2013, 03:00:04 PM »
why not just clamp off one line at time and see if the vacuum jumps up when you remove one from the equation?  Or spray every joint/line with an unlit propane torch or carb cleaner and watch the idle speed to jump up when you find the leak?
hard
Also check the pcv valve to make sure you did not pull that hose off as well as the small hard plastic lines to the map and AC
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline shmed

• Turbo Street Limited
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15 2013, 04:07:52 PM »
thanks for the tips steve,
reson i wanted to try compressed air was the car is in a attached garage an the future ex   will start running her yap if i start the cars for any period of time

Offline Pyro6

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15 2013, 08:00:38 PM »
I have a "Smoke" machine I use for finding evap leaks. Works well for vacuum leaks too. You're on the right track, but don't use soap bubbles!!! I guess if you and/or one of your buddies smokes cigars, cap off the fresh air inlet to the throttle body, chain smoke into the brake booster vacuum feed line and it would be a backyard version of the same thing.

Offline bescurred

• Bone Stock
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20 2013, 05:36:26 PM »
I have a "Smoke" machine I use for finding evap leaks. Works well for vacuum leaks too. You're on the right track, but don't use soap bubbles!!! I guess if you and/or one of your buddies smokes cigars, cap off the fresh air inlet to the throttle body, chain smoke into the brake booster vacuum feed line and it would be a backyard version of the same thing.

Why can't you use soap bubbles with a  compressed air?
« Last Edit: September 20 2013, 09:18:39 PM by bescurred »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal