Author Topic: The AC Gods are far from done with me.  (Read 10898 times)

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 234
    • View Profile
The AC Gods are far from done with me.
« on: September 03 2011, 08:10:06 PM »
(This post is about my compressor replacement adventure so far on my wife's '96 Acura Integra, back story here: http://ihadav8.com/forum/index.php?topic=2691.0)

I ordered the best I could get - an OE Denso unit from Rock Auto, and a receiver dryer. The compressor came in yesterday, and Fedex delivered the dryer today.

I called CharlieF - (Thanks man) and got some tips, amount of oil, etc. Luckily, the Denso unit came pre oiled, I didn't need to add any more. Video here:

I made sure to Google all the Acura forums for tips too - it's a very easy replacement overall. Had to run to Harbor Freight to get the A/C gauge set that they were out of last week, SCORE! got the last one! I already had a new vacuum pump that I bought there last week.

Like I said, it was pretty easy overall, I replaced all orings I could get to etc.. ( I bought a master oring kit too)

So - I get it all back together, run a vacuum on it for 1 hr  - looks like it's holding fine. I get all set to charge it, made sure to find the low pressure switch and jump it.

I fire the car up, clutch isn't engaging. Fuck. I must have done something wrong, I turn off the car, and check all electrical connections. Nope, they are all good. I noticed that when it was running, the fans were both running, which means to me that the ECM / circuit should be working. I unplug and check clutch 12v wire - everything looks fine. Start the car again, fans are on. I remove the jumper on the low pressure sensor connector, fans turn off. Again - fuck. So I start troubleshootin g. I grabbed a wire with an alligator clip, and attach it to the positive battery post. I poked the other end in the clutch wire connector - nothing. I take the old compressor, make sure the case is grounded, do the same thing - "CLICK", the clutch engages. Thinking maybe the ground wire coming out of the clutch that attaches to the top of the compressor case wasn't getting a ground, I touch the crimped part of the ring connector.. ZAP.. nope, it's getting a good ground. I start the car again, with the LP sensor connector shorted, whip out the DVOM, sure enough - 13.3v coming out of the connector to the clutch. I got my brightest flashlight and inspected the + feed wire to the compressor, looks fine, not pinched, nothing. There was no interference putting it in, didn't snag the wire, nothing.

Could the clutch be bad on a BRAND NEW FUCKING DENSO UNIT!!?!?! You bet your sweet ass it is. Ground is good, ECM is commanding the clutch to engage, nothing.

<sigh> now I have to RMA this thing to Rock Auto, and wait however long it will take, and do it all over again. I made sure to buy the best one they had, and in retrospect, might not be the best idea, the ~3 year old unit that failed was the same model. I wonder if I can get a different brand to replace this shitty cocksucking Denso. I supposed I could try swapping clutches - but I don't want a NEW compressor with a ~3 year old clutch, and I PAID for the best, with a WORKING clutch.

I'm really not that pissed, just disappointed I wasted a good part of a Saturday on this. I guess the upside is that the next replacement will go much faster..

« Last Edit: September 03 2011, 08:14:55 PM by SuperSix »
'87 GN, 60lb, TA49, THDP, FTP cam, T+ lots o' shit - SOLD
'07 Ford F150 Lariat 2WD, 5.4L 3v - 255k
'20 Kubota BX2380. FEL, 60" deck
'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy
'99 Kawasaki Bayou 400 4x4

Offline Charlief1

• Just another kinky six
  • Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
Re: The AC Gods are far from done with me.
« Reply #1 on: September 03 2011, 08:59:04 PM »
Thought about it after we got off the phone Mark. Check the negative wire in the middle of it. Where they attached the rign they may not have gotten a good conection. You may just need to put a new crimped connection on it.
And remember, when dealing with children, silence may be golden but duct tape is silver.

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03 2011, 09:11:34 PM »
Thought about it after we got off the phone Mark. Check the negative wire in the middle of it. Where they attached the rign they may not have gotten a good conection. You may just need to put a new crimped connection on it.

Good idea. I plan to backprobe the wires tomorrow.

Thanks again for your help!
'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy

Offline Charlief1

• Just another kinky six
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03 2011, 10:21:08 PM »
Always glad to help Mark.
And remember, when dealing with children, silence may be golden but duct tape is silver.

Offline Just a Six?

• OK Now who Farted??
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04 2011, 09:04:49 AM »
When you drain the system what kind of container do you store the freon in? Thanks!
David
87 LTD. Purchased May 88
Doeskin leather, coach lites without Landau Roof, moon roof, carpeted trunk & No Factory Hood Ornament!
The sticker on AC shows a V-8 Carb car. Special order by Mr. Nick Hall VP of GM Canada
Runs 11.50 on 21 lbs with my old style 67 Q Trim & Alchy

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04 2011, 09:52:57 AM »
When you drain the system what kind of container do you store the freon in? Thanks!

It had no freon left in it when I started. It may have a puff of it in there now, from me purging the recharge hose.

Yes, I know it's illegal to release freon into the atmosphere. So are jackrabbit starts, going over the speed limit, etc. You see where I am going with this.
'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy

Offline Just a Six?

• OK Now who Farted??
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04 2011, 10:01:59 AM »
I would like to empty my system but save the R-12. I have a new polished accumulator I want to add along with some other work. I guess the AC shop could store it for a small fee?
I only have the 12 oz cans for topping it up.
David
87 LTD. Purchased May 88
Doeskin leather, coach lites without Landau Roof, moon roof, carpeted trunk & No Factory Hood Ornament!
The sticker on AC shows a V-8 Carb car. Special order by Mr. Nick Hall VP of GM Canada

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04 2011, 10:11:24 AM »
I'm sure they could. I always wondered about the quality and density of the recovered freon. Say the evacuate a system that has a small % of air in it, wouldn't that dilute the freon in the storage tank? What about the different types of oils?
'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy

Offline Just a Six?

• OK Now who Farted??
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04 2011, 10:21:25 AM »
I was thinking about the oils myself. I know they wont have an empty R-12 container laying around. Maybe a new empty cylinder would be needed but that would cost some $$ I bet.
I'll have to ask the shop what they suggest?
David
87 LTD. Purchased May 88

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04 2011, 10:34:40 AM »
I'm sure they have an r12 tank. There's a lot of money for them to make reselling reclaimed R12.
'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy

Offline Charlief1

• Just another kinky six
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04 2011, 11:44:21 AM »
One of the tricks we used to do is to suck an old cylinder down to full vacuum and stick it in the freezer. After 24 hours it will have the ability to suck the R-12 out David. It's not perfect but it will get most of it out if you have a set of guages and can hook up to both sides of the system.

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04 2011, 01:02:03 PM »
ok, so check this shit out. Remember I said I was going to back probe the wires? Well, I figured I would do it this way:

Took a few of the wife's sewing needles. I put one in a set of vice grips.

I used it ti puncture the wires as loce the the compressor as I could. The ground checked out fine - the positive didn't. I tested it 4 times, no continuity between the connector lug and the various places I poked the needle into. I tried the exact same thing on the old compressor, continuity was fine. I think I will email Rock and see if me cutting the harness will void the warranty.

I think it's the plug, bad crimp or something, and I could splice the old one in.

Thoughts?
'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04 2011, 01:22:09 PM »
Never mind. After more testing, it's not working. I even put +12v to the closet pin I put in close to the compressor, nothing. the same pin showed good connection to the other pin I put in just below the connector, and oddly, and the connector too. I'm not gonna fuck with it anymore, and just send the compressor back.
'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy

Offline $1987 GN$

• PSI: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04 2011, 01:49:44 PM »
Well now that just sux.

AJ___

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10 2011, 09:23:04 PM »
The new compressor came in Friday. So I started the replacement today.

I had run a vacuum on it for ~3 hours last week after the installation of the defective compressor, and the gauges were at 0 when I put them on today. :x

This, of course, means there's a leak somewhere. I pulled the evaporator/expansion valve out of the car (pretty damn easy) and first thing I noticed was dye in the case, and on the bottom of the evap.

Called NAPA, they had them in stock, and at the best price of any local store, still $20.00 more than Rock Auto, but I needed it today, I wanted this shit done. Rock Auto was 58, NAPA was 78, and Advance Auto was 131 dollars. Fuck them. I pulled the expansion valve off, clean as a whistle, and looks like it had been replaced ~3 years ago when my Uncle had the system fixed, so I didn't get another one. I also got a dye detector flashlight and glasses - so I know it's dye on the evap, not really fresh mold or something. The UV detection kit had been used, and resealed, I didn't notice until I got home and say the scratches all over the glasses. Fuck you NAPA

I grabbed another drier, I figured if the system hadn't held vacuum, it was toast too. Pulled the PS pump out this time for access, made a huge mess with that (and had to make a trip to the parts store again for the lovely Honda-specific PS fluid I needed). Reassembled the evap box, installed it, replaced all orings of course. I replaced all the orings I could get my hands on.

I checked the clutch function on the new compressor, it was fine. While I was at NAPA I got some dye, added that to the compressor oil, and installed the new compressor. I bench tested the clutch on the first new one, and got it to work if I tugged on the wires a certain way. Piece of shit.

Put it all together, and put the vacuum pump on it. Urrrurrruurrrr r.. Not the right sound. Sounded like it was just sucking air, gauges showed 0. I almost punched a wall out of frustration, then I checked the connectors, one was loose. Snugged it up, and left it on the vacuum for ~1hr. Put the PS pump back in, filled the resevoir..

It cold now, but I know it will leak out or blow up. Ended up with 50 degrees in the center outlet, It was 82 out @ 70% humidity, it will have to do.

And the new compressor clutch works like a charm. I got dye all over, cleaned that up, ate dinner - fuck AC systems.

Popped my SD card in the new replacement laptop to upload the above pics to Photobucket - doesn't work. Fuck HP. I'm taking this piece of shit back to Staples and tell them to jam it up their asses.

Weak ass rant over.   :013: :013:
'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal