Author Topic: Better choice of Ball Joints  (Read 2772 times)

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 0
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
Better choice of Ball Joints
« on: June 19 2020, 02:36:16 PM »
Hi All,
Now that Steve has helped me out greatly with the engine, I'm in the process of replacing the upper, and lower ball joints.
To me it seems there are two type of ball joints manufactures, unless others have difference of opinions which one would be best for out tr:
MOOG upper ball joints [/color]K5208[/size]
[/color]MOOG lower ball joints [/size]K6145T
[/color]ACDelco Professional upper Ball Joint  [/color]45D0016[/size]
[/color]ACDelco Professional lower Ball Joint  [/color]45D2026[/size]
87 GN T-Top, ScanMaster, hot-wire kit, Full Throttle chips w/ matching 60# injectors, adj. fuel pump, and triple pod gauges w/ AEM A/F gauge, oil pressure gauge, vac/boost gauge, Kenne Belle rear seat brace, upgraded tranny w/ Art Carr pan cover, and a pre-lube oil system.

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
Re: Better choice of Ball Joints
« Reply #1 on: June 19 2020, 04:28:16 PM »
I normally lean to Moog.  I suspect the AC Delcos are very good as well based on reviews.  Moogs might be a little stronger but you probably aren't going rock climbing so... :)
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19 2020, 06:45:22 PM »
I normally lean to Moog.  I suspect the AC Delcos are very good as well based on reviews.  Moogs might be a little stronger but you probably aren't going rock climbing so... :)

Then Moog is the choice as I already have the control arm Moog bushings, as I wasn't sure what was the status of ACDelco ball joints.
Thanks again Steve
87 GN T-Top, ScanMaster, hot-wire kit, Full Throttle chips w/ matching 60# injectors, adj. fuel pump, and triple pod gauges w/ AEM A/F gauge, oil pressure gauge, vac/boost gauge, Kenne Belle rear seat brace, upgraded tranny w/ Art Carr pan cover, and a pre-lube oil system.

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19 2020, 08:04:44 PM »
I just saw this on EBay and compare to Amazon this is a great deal of savings if bought separately, and all pats are Moogs
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lifetime-Ball-Joint-Tie-Rod-Center-Link-Kit-for-Malibu-Regal-Monte-Carlo-78-88/152829007629?hash=item239551970d:g:yb4AAOSwa~BYPwRF:sc:FedExHomeDeliv ery!29605!US!-1

What do you think?

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #4 on: June 19 2020, 08:21:53 PM »
I don't know...never heard of them and don't find much on line...price is right if its not counterfeit stuff
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19 2020, 10:13:19 PM »
I don't know...never heard of them and don't find much on line...price is right if its not counterfeit stuff

I know what you mean, but their feedback looks good with over 15,000+ sells

Offline daveismissing

• Two Buicks- too little money$$
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • Two Buicks- too little money$$
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20 2020, 01:01:03 AM »
15000 sells to used car dealers? I wouldn't buy em.
Charlie  had a great thread on here with numbers for A arms and tall ball joints and other upgrades,,,
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20 2020, 04:11:18 PM »
15000 sells to used car dealers? I wouldn't buy em.
Charlie  had a great thread on here with numbers for A arms and tall ball joints and other upgrades,,,

I did a search and could not find anything on Charlie's suspension upgrade, would you know where it is?

2nd, My GN has about 90,000 miles never race or abuse, and mostly all of the front end suspension feel tight and not loose or wobbly. The only reason why I'm asking since I'm replacing the lower control arm (upper control arm bushing already replaced), I might as well replace the upper and lower ball joints. If the additional parts weren't expensive I would replace them as well, but it since the price for the front end is very expensive, especially if it doesn't needs to be replace, then why replace it.

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 1
  • So, This black car is fast?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20 2020, 04:36:16 PM »
Rich

"Goals without actions are just dreams."

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 1
  • So, This black car is fast?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20 2020, 04:40:25 PM »
Quote from: gnonyx
I just saw this on EBay and compare to Amazon this is a great deal of savings if bought separately, and all pats are Moogs
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lifetime-Ball-Joint-Tie-Rod-Center-Link-Kit-for-Malibu-Regal-Monte-Carlo-78-88/152829007629?hash=item239551970d:g:yb4AAOSwa~BYPwRF:sc:FedExHomeDeliv ery!29605!US!-1

What do you think?
I wouldn't buy it based on the lifetime warranty, KYB shocks got me on that one. Bilsteins going forward for me. But if you are doing the whole f/e a kit like that is nice so a guy doesn't have to search for the individual pieces.
Rich

"Goals without actions are just dreams."

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20 2020, 10:47:49 PM »
Quote from: gnonyx

What do you think?
I wouldn't buy it based on the lifetime warranty, KYB shocks got me on that one. Bilsteins going forward for me. But if you are doing the whole f/e a kit like that is nice so a guy doesn't have to search for the individual pieces.
I do agreed as I did do a lot of researching for a cheaper but better quality of parts, and that is why I'm going to recheck the front end again, as I may not need to spend extra money if the front suspension looks and function okay. I already got the lower control arm bushings, inner, outer front wheel bearings, and seal, (ACDelco)
I did read Charlie's Poor "Mans Suspension upgrade", and it was very informative many of the parts # Charlie has listed are not listed on Speedway Motors, and as mention before there are many types of Ball joints, as this is mostly cruising ride, and not for racing.
My only concern, the tires are 255/50/16 mounted on a 3 piece rims, and there is no rubbing, if changing the height by changing the ball joint height would it also cause the front tires to rub.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal