Author Topic: CA Emissions?  (Read 3606 times)

Offline gordyzx9r

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 0
  • The Sultan of Swank
    • View Profile
CA Emissions?
« on: August 04 2011, 12:44:10 AM »
So...retiremen t (actually the word we're supposed to use now is "transitioning") from the Army is less than 5 months away and I've been firing resumes off left and right.  I've had a few phone calls, for allot of overseas stuff that I just don't want...but I have had a couple of phone interviews and one of them was for a company based out of Palmdale, CA.  Great company, and I would be super excited for an opportunity to work for them if they decide to call me back for a face to face interview.

But what about the GN?  How can I work around emissions!?!  It has no cat, the EGR is blocked off, and it has an alcohol problem; and I really don't want to have to deal with that hassle.   

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 234
    • View Profile
Re: CA Emissions?
« Reply #1 on: August 04 2011, 08:17:27 AM »
You would probably need to get the parts you removed, a cat, an EGR, and an emissions chip from TurboTweak. Slap them on, get tested, and them take them off after passing.
'87 GN, 60lb, TA49, THDP, FTP cam, T+ lots o' shit - SOLD
'07 Ford F150 Lariat 2WD, 5.4L 3v - 255k
'20 Kubota BX2380. FEL, 60" deck
'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy
'99 Kawasaki Bayou 400 4x4

Offline daveismissing

• Two Buicks- too little money$$
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • Two Buicks- too little money$$
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04 2011, 08:48:48 AM »
Most Cats are only 49 state from what I've noticed. Better get some local advice.
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline Turbodave

• Bone Stock
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04 2011, 09:35:33 AM »
I went through the same thing.  Retired from the Navy, and took a position in San Diego CA. back in the late 80's

During my 12 years in southern CA.  There were some basic items I HAD to have on and functioning properly to get through the smog tests.
A good working cat. converter
A completely funcitonal EGR system
A good smog chip. the best smog chip I came up with was a stock chip from 87, with the injector constant modified to match my injectors.
I've seen some try and do smog chips by taking the stock image and changing a whole bunch of other stuff in them.  Truth be told, the 87 chips were the best and don't let your chip guy change ANYTHING except the injector constant.

OH, almost forgot, you gotta get through a visual also!

But if your EGR passages are blocked, you've got a much more serious problem. 

I got so tired of dealing with the smog nazis that my layoff in 2002 came as something of a blessing in disguise. I left CA, never to return.
« Last Edit: August 04 2011, 09:40:12 AM by Turbodave »
TurboDave EWCS(SW) USN (Ret.)
Sevierville, TN
Translator Pro;  MAFless fuel, spark, boost and fuel pump management

86 GN(Translator Pro/Extender Pro/w Boost control, PLX WBO2 (original owner)

Offline gordyzx9r

• The Sultan of Swank
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04 2011, 08:17:45 PM »
Yeah, but so far these guys are the first to show a real interest in me...they called me back first thing this morning and asked for me to fly out for a face to face interview.

there is/has been a hiring freeze for department of the army civilians/government jobs and there are allot of cutbacks coming.  I've only had a couple of phone interviews for those positions.  I really want something in Northern AL or Southeastern TN.

The good news, my Dad lives in Lake Elsinore, CA which isn't that far from Palmdale. 

Is there legal way to claim an out of state residence other than being active duty military?

I'm told the following counties don't smog:

Alpine
 Amador
 Calaveras
 Del Norte
 Humboldt
 Imperial
 Inyo
 Lake
 Lassen
 Mariposa
 Mendocino
 Modoc
 Mono
 Plumas
 Sierra
 Siskiyou
 Trinity
 Tuolumne

Know offhand if any of those are within an hour of Palmdale?

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 234
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04 2011, 08:55:58 PM »
There's murmurs that they make bring testing back in Florida - especially the largest counties. Luckily, I am in a smaller (population-wise) county, less that 1/16th of a mile from the border of a densely populated one. So, if they do bring it back, I might be OK.
'87 GN, 60lb, TA49, THDP, FTP cam, T+ lots o' shit - SOLD
'07 Ford F150 Lariat 2WD, 5.4L 3v - 255k
'20 Kubota BX2380. FEL, 60" deck
'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy
'99 Kawasaki Bayou 400 4x4

Offline gordyzx9r

• The Sultan of Swank
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04 2011, 09:54:51 PM »
I've read that if you're willing to pay "extra" that it can be "waived"...

Offline Texas Turbo T

• Don't Mess with Texas ! ! !
  • Turbo Street Limited
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05 2011, 05:57:03 AM »
So...retirement (actually the word we're supposed to use now is "transitioning") from the Army is less than 5 months away and I've been firing resumes off left and right.  I've had a few phone calls, for allot of overseas stuff that I just don't want...but I have had a couple of phone interviews and one of them was for a company based out of Palmdale, CA.  Great company, and I would be super excited for an opportunity to work for them if they decide to call me back for a face to face interview.

But what about the GN?  How can I work around emissions!?!  It has no cat, the EGR is blocked off, and it has an alcohol problem; and I really don't want to have to deal with that hassle.   

Here in Texas, when the vehicle is over 24 years old it no longer has to do the emissions test. That is why I have been taking my time getting my car going ! ! !

Offline Turbodave

• Bone Stock
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05 2011, 06:46:49 AM »
Unfortunatley none of those counties are in reach.  Most are up in the inland empire and northern counties.

As for buying your way through a smog inspection as gordy mentioned, well.... Good luck with that. Aint going to happen.
The first thing the DMV is going to require when you  get there is an inspection at the DMV station. Very extensive visual.
Then the dreaded smog inspection (every two years when I left).  They are trying to get the old cars off the road by jacking up the allowable levels at every inspection. Makes it much more difficult to pass.

BTW, Palmdale's way up in the high desert about an hour north of LA.  Didn't know there was that much up there.  What company is up there that called you?
TurboDave EWCS(SW) USN (Ret.)
Sevierville, TN
Translator Pro;  MAFless fuel, spark, boost and fuel pump management

86 GN(Translator Pro/Extender Pro/w Boost control, PLX WBO2 (original owner)

Offline gordyzx9r

• The Sultan of Swank
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05 2011, 09:25:41 AM »
What about dual state citizenship like Lou mentioned on the other forum?  If I maintain an AL driver's license, AL insurance, register as a voter in AL, and keep an AL address I can claim dual state citizenship?

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05 2011, 09:30:49 AM »
What about dual state citizenship like Lou mentioned on the other forum?  If I maintain an AL driver's license, AL insurance, register as a voter in AL, and keep an AL address I can claim dual state citizenship?

Would it be possible to put the car in a relatives name that lives out of state?
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline Charlief1

• Just another kinky six
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05 2011, 12:04:13 PM »

That would be difficult. Here in Texas you have to prove residence in the other state and go there for at least a week once a month. It's required here that the vehicle is regestered in 30 days and your Id is changed over. If you've got a cop that keeps an eye out for specific vehicles he'll notice the car and then nail ya.
And remember, when dealing with children, silence may be golden but duct tape is silver.

Offline gordyzx9r

• The Sultan of Swank
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05 2011, 08:27:27 PM »
Yeah, I just looked up the rules and regulations for CA online...

As soon as you rent, lease, or purchase a home you are supposed to register your car in CA within 20 days. 

My EGR isn't blocked, it's just plugged...I still have all the EGR stuff there but plugged the vacuum lines.  I have a full ATR exhaust with the ATR race pipe...so I'll need to find a really good catalytic converter. 

Will I need to remove the alcohol system or can it just be empty when I go in for the inspection? 

Offline Charlief1

• Just another kinky six
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05 2011, 10:26:58 PM »
One other option is talk to Donnie Wang and see about converting to full alky temporarily. That would let it pass pretty easily with almost no problems.
And remember, when dealing with children, silence may be golden but duct tape is silver.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal