Author Topic: tuning the fancy ecm  (Read 5730 times)

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 1
  • So, This black car is fast?
    • View Profile
tuning the fancy ecm
« on: October 05 2018, 03:41:51 PM »
https://realtuners.com/realtuners-radio-episodes/

Scroll down to podcast number fifty. Some real info on tuning. Tuning idle and tip In and what to do to get it right with a fancy ecm. I found it real interesting.
Rich

"Goals without actions are just dreams."

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: tuning the fancy ecm
« Reply #1 on: October 06 2018, 10:31:50 AM »
I'm to lazy for that. I let Erics chip and my stock ECM do it for me.
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06 2018, 11:17:48 AM »
Not everyone has a stock setup.
Rich

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06 2018, 11:24:46 AM »
Not everyone has a stock setup.

You betcha. Go over to the other board and check some of the sigs. They've got every cool guy part thrown at the car...includin g an aftermarket fuel management system...and they can't match my ET or MPH with my stock junk, stock ECM and TT chip. They've drank the kool aid and honestly believe there's magic inside those boxes.

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06 2018, 12:26:53 PM »
Not everyone has only a Turbo Regal.

Did you listen to the podcast? Those guys are hardcore hot rodders. The car he mentioned going down to Chicago is a nifty first gen Camaro they take on drag week. And from the between the lines I heard street race it quite a bit. I'm pretty sure it is deep in the eight sec range and possibly quicker at the track. The guy couldn't figure out the idle and was having a stumble problem. The host went down there pretty much to meet the guy and as a side benefit managed to straighten out his tune.

I'm not knocking your approach but you, yourself, posted it is boring and had your setup for sale. Mine is pretty stock too and I like to drive it. And I'm glad they don't salt down the roads here or mine wouldn't have much left of it.
« Last Edit: October 06 2018, 12:33:34 PM by TexasT »
Rich

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06 2018, 02:32:32 PM »
The hype with these magic boxes is insane. Vendors are telling people they need them when they don't...and people who haven't got a clue about them are touting them. 99% of people wouldn't know how to adjust them if their life depended on it. They're flat out complicated... and won't make your car any faster. At least Eric and Bob are honest about it. One of the locals that stays quiet is the only one up here that knows aftermarket ECU's inside and out...and that's it. I wouldn't dare tell someone to spend 3 grand CDN on something for their TR when it wouldn't make a difference. Know why I run a chip, a stock ECM and stock junk? Cuz I piss myself laughing watching guys spend 10 times what I do...and can't run my number.

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06 2018, 04:21:31 PM »
i'll take that as a no, you didn't listen to it.
Rich

Offline daveismissing

• Two Buicks- too little money$$
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06 2018, 06:50:06 PM »
i'll take that as a no, you didn't listen to it.
:046:
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 0
  • No man lives happily lest he remove the boredom
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06 2018, 10:55:14 PM »

Tuning the new ECM's out there is a science but those folks that make it look easy are really artists in their field.  Analyzing the data and then knowing exactly what to adjust has a steep learning curve and that's what attracted me.... the learning curve.  The software has an infinite amount of adjustments that you can really make a mess of it if you don't know what you're doing.  The inter-action between features alone is mind boggling. 

Vendors will be vendors...  Just like the rest of us when it comes to paying the bills.  The difference is in what we choose to do in order to pay those bills.

I've come to the conclusion that there are two types of car guys out there... maybe three. 

The first car guy is the super competitive guy who will pay anything and do anything to win a race.  Can usually drive and stir the pot for races but really doesn't know how things work.

The second car guy is the tech guy who wants to know exactly how things work. He will make a change and then look at results to see what difference was made and why the change made a difference. Some are decent drivers but usually know how much time and money is involved in a build and don't push it to the limits like car guy #1.  I believe this forum to be for us tech guys.

The 3rd guy is the fella with too much money and no sense whatsoever. He has to have the latest and greatest and is a quick to point out that he has the latest and greatest even though he can't drive. Nor does he understand what he bought nor how it works because he needed to buy the latest and greatest.  These guys tend to be click-ish and will talk trash to and about you.  These are the guys that keep the shit ass vendors in business even though they get screwed by that said vendor and didn't even realize it.

Soap box complete.
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1982 Jeep Wagoneer Limited
1986 Grand National BLK PHNX
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07 2018, 07:09:36 AM »
I think there is a fourth guy, he has either memories or just stories of what he "has at home" or used to have. Comes to the shows or track with his buddies or even by himself and will tell you a story. Even "knows ore than you" about your own car.

Usually these are older fellows but I've had some youngster wth stories too.
Rich

Offline ULYCYC

• Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07 2018, 07:50:12 AM »
Or the 5th guy like me who did it all and would rather look at young girls in yoga pants then argue over ecm's   :cheers:
ED BAKER
87-T, Maplight equipped rear view mirror..
01 Park Ave Ultra S\'charged
BPG#1458

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07 2018, 08:49:07 AM »
If you are into these podcasts and I want to give a giant thank you to Jason for turning me/us onto them, episode 41 has some info on timing for corn fuel as opposed to c16 as opposed pump gas/ meth fuel I found quite interesting and good discussion on refurbished laptops they recommended for tuning. And they recommend a ssd drive and Lenovo corporate returns that have been refurbished. They say these are serviceable as opposed to the retail units that have things soldered to the board. Good stuff.
Rich

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #12 on: October 07 2018, 09:30:17 AM »
Or the 5th guy like me who did it all and would rather look at young girls in yoga pants then argue over ecm's   :cheers:

Far too often, it's the young girls in yoga pants that should be wearing spandex instead....

As far as the fourth guy, he lives on the forums these days
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline daveismissing

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07 2018, 09:52:03 AM »
ooooh  That's me - except replace "did it all" with "left his car stock and didn't do anything"  :icon_jook:
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 07 2018, 09:53:31 AM »
ooooh  That's me - except replace "did it all" with "left his car stock and didn't do anything"  :icon_jook:

A new fuel pump in the little ladies car, I hope.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal