Author Topic: I need better brakes. Looking at new PST rear disc kit.  (Read 4389 times)

Offline richmobj

• Bone Stock
  • PSI: 0
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
I need better brakes. Looking at new PST rear disc kit.
« on: November 24 2015, 09:35:36 AM »
I have stock front disc and rear drum brakes on my '87 GN and they suck!   I am looking at upgrading to the new PST rear disc brake upgrade kit that sells for about $450.  Does anybody have any experience with them?  I'm trying not to spend $1200 for the Baer setup.  Also, is there a good inexpensive front upgrade kit available that will fit in the stock GN wheel?  Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • No man lives happily lest he remove the boredom
    • View Profile
Re: I need better brakes. Looking at new PST rear disc kit.
« Reply #1 on: November 24 2015, 11:10:52 AM »
The S-10 front disc conversion is cheap but it's very effective.  Spindles, hardware and bracket can be had from a junkyard.  When I have done this front brake conversion, I have always bought reman calipers and stainless hoses.  Here's a link for the s10 swap:
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/11-bolt-on-brakes.171079/
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1982 Jeep Wagoneer Limited
1986 Grand National BLK PHNX
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline richmobj

• Bone Stock
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24 2015, 12:21:48 PM »
I'm at the junk yard getting a set of spindles and brackets right now for the front off of a 2001 blazer 2x4.  What do I replace the back drums with now that I have something figured out for the front?

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 4
  • look at my balls... look at them!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24 2015, 01:01:14 PM »
I felt that the LS1 conversion was the best bang for the buck front and rear.  Makes it easy to get parts too...
>>>Das Instagram<<<
'80 LeMans Wagon|'87 Monte Carlo SS|'92 Camaro Z28|'07 TrailBlazer SS|'15 Colorado Z71|'19 Hellcat Widebooty M6

Offline richmobj

• Bone Stock
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24 2015, 02:23:57 PM »
I'm sure they work great but I read somewhere that the stock GN wheels won't fit over them.

Offline motorhead

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 4
  • look at my balls... look at them!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24 2015, 04:04:19 PM »
I'm sure they work great but I read somewhere that the stock GN wheels won't fit over them.

Oops. I missed that.  But, they do work with 16s.
>>>Das Instagram<<<
'80 LeMans Wagon|'87 Monte Carlo SS|'92 Camaro Z28|'07 TrailBlazer SS|'15 Colorado Z71|'19 Hellcat Widebooty M6

Offline Charlief1

• Just another kinky six
  • Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24 2015, 07:30:31 PM »
Backs, yes. Fronts, no. You need to get all the parts off the F body (lines, hoses, brackets, ect) to do the LS F body conversion. You will also need either someone to do some minor welding or weld yourself since the bracket for the parking brake cable and the hose to caliper bracket will need to be located and secured. None of this is hard and it's not that labor intensive, but you do need a good drill bit and something that will cut the original bracket off the axle when you do it.
And remember, when dealing with children, silence may be golden but duct tape is silver.

Offline richmobj

• Bone Stock
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25 2015, 07:57:23 AM »
So your saying I could use the blazer front big disc brakes and the F-Body rear disc brakes?  Do you think that will be a pretty well matched setup?  I'm currently prepping a new frame to put my GN on so getting access to all of the E-brake stuff is really easy right now.  I have a cut off wheel for my grinder and my neighbor does all of my welding for me.  What are the steps involved to install the F-Body brakes on the rear?  Do I need the entire E-Brake cable from the donor F-Body?

Offline Charlief1

• Just another kinky six
  • Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25 2015, 11:02:57 AM »
You can use the blazer brakes with the rear discs and should have no issues. Here's a pic of all the parts you'll need. The bracket that bolts on the the F body shock mount will need to be cut apart so you have the brake line bracket that welds to the axle and the parking brake cable mount. You can use the stock location shock mount of the G body axle but I didn't like how close the shock was to the caliper so I made a relocation bracket to move it out a little. It's made out of 1/4" thick angle iron and is welded on. It actually moved the shock to a better spot. You can also buy a bracket that bolts on and does the same thing fairly cheaply. The only other welding you'll need to do is on the parking brake lever so the factory cable will attach. You end up cutting the original drum brake bracket and the disc bracket to make the new one. I've been putting off doing this on an axle I've got here and I may just get around to it this week since things are nice and quiet.
And remember, when dealing with children, silence may be golden but duct tape is silver.

Offline richmobj

• Bone Stock
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25 2015, 03:08:48 PM »
so I can take the parts off of any camaro or firebird 1998-2001?

Offline richmobj

• Bone Stock
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25 2015, 07:36:53 PM »
I'm not really wanting to cut on the numbers matching rearend of my GN.  I read a lot of threads on the LS conversion.  The PST kit looks like it is made for the 4 bolt axle flange not the ones I have on my GN.  I did find this kit on Ebay that is from inline tube that looks like it will work well.  What do you guys think?  http://www.ebay.com/itm/1978-88-GM-A-G-Body-Rear-Axle-Drum-to-Disc-Brake-15-Wheel-Conversion-Kit-Set-/191575132648?hash=item2c9ac489e8:g:Bm4AAOSwEeFVS9 xW&vxp=mtr

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal