Author Topic: vacuum brake conversion kit  (Read 18174 times)

Offline drew87gn

• PSI: 0
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
vacuum brake conversion kit
« on: June 06 2012, 01:14:59 PM »
Looking for some good info. Long story short after 12 years of having my GN off the road I finally got my car running. Took my car to work, ran great. On my way home while on the highway I step on the brake and the pedal won't budge, :wtf: then I see the break light go on..Almost smash my car. Took my time on the back roads and got my car home safe. I spoke with Highway Stars and it was suggested that I switch my GN to a vacuum brake conversion kit because it's the best way to guarantee safety. Is there a vacuum brake conversion kit out there that can be recommended?? Thanks, Andy

Offline Just a Six?

• OK Now who Farted??
  • Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
Re: vacuum brake conversion kit
« Reply #1 on: June 06 2012, 01:46:25 PM »
Some vendors sell complete kits but you can get it all yourself & save $100+ but the pedal itself will be the hardest part to find.
Brian has the kits www.gbodyparts.com
David
87 LTD. Purchased May 88
Doeskin leather, coach lites without Landau Roof, moon roof, carpeted trunk & No Factory Hood Ornament!
The sticker on AC shows a V-8 Carb car. Special order by Mr. Nick Hall VP of GM Canada
Runs 11.50 on 21 lbs with my old style 67 Q Trim & Alchy

Offline daveismissing

• Two Buicks- too little money$$
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06 2012, 02:58:32 PM »
Last I saw Kirban is the only source for PM remans.
Rockauto were sending yours out for rebuild to Carcone, don't know if that's still the case.

-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline drew87gn

• PSI: 0
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06 2012, 03:28:23 PM »
Thanks for the info. I quickly went on both Kirban's and Gbodyparts website and saw they both offer remanufactured PM's. Any reviews on the remanufactured?? I'd like to keep the GN original but if there's issues with the rebuilds then originality isn't worth it over safety. 

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #4 on: June 06 2012, 04:01:27 PM »
My opinion is that the rebuilts are a pretty iffy proposition.  I doubt they do much other than fix whatever is obviously wrong so you may end up with one that will need a new pump motor, etc. in a few months.  Depending on the warranty and your patience, you can give it a go and hope for the best. A powermaster that works as designed is a good system.  One that does not can give you a rock hard pedal that may make you wish David Banner was riding shotgun with you  :)
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline daveismissing

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06 2012, 07:13:23 PM »
The saving grace is the lifetime warranty.
Looks like a new switch and accum on the one I have.
Not installed yet but the high pressure side has been holding +400lbs for a few months on the bench. (fingers crossed)
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 234
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12 2012, 01:38:29 PM »
My opinion is that the rebuilts are a pretty iffy proposition.  I doubt they do much other than fix whatever is obviously wrong so you may end up with one that will need a new pump motor, etc. in a few months.  Depending on the warranty and your patience, you can give it a go and hope for the best. A powermaster that works as designed is a good system.  One that does not can give you a rock hard pedal that may make you wish David Banner was riding shotgun with you  :)

HULK SMASH PEDAL!!!
'87 GN, 60lb, TA49, THDP, FTP cam, T+ lots o' shit - SOLD
'07 Ford F150 Lariat 2WD, 5.4L 3v - 255k
'20 Kubota BX2380. FEL, 60" deck
'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy
'99 Kawasaki Bayou 400 4x4

Offline Shimy87

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19 2012, 10:57:12 AM »
Yikes,

My brakes seem to work fine but the brake light always flashes a bit when I first back her out of the garage. Was planning on just leaving it alone but after reading this I have concerns. When we take the cars to a carshow, the wife drives the GN with our 3 year in the back. The wife is small and I'm concerned about this " hard pedal" issue.

It would be work but could I go to a junk yard and get the brake assembly ( pedal, master cylinder, booster, etc) out of a 87 Regal, Monte Carlo, Grand prix and install that??
87 GN, K&N cold air, gutted cat, TT 5.7 chip, AFPR, 340 Walbro w/ hotwire, 60 LBS injectors, 981 valve springs, 206/206 Cam, RJC Powerplate, LS1 MAF & translator, Vacuum brakes, Hellwig rear sway bar, Energy suspension poly bushings, Razors Alky, Pypes exhaust, 5931 turbo, CK9.5 converter

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19 2012, 11:30:21 AM »
yeah

here is a write up  http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/brakes/Powermaster_to_vacuum.html

I have done it in less than two hours from start to end....once I spent a lot more time because the pedal bolts had a couple of tinnerman nuts as lock nuts and I was too stubborn to get out of the floor and get some side cutters to snip them off.

I like to replace the vacuum block on the plenum with one that has a vacuum port aimed at the brakes.  Others have tee'd into the pcv line.  Many think it is better to install a new master cylinder...it might be, but some of this new stuff ain't worth a damn so I guess it is a personal choice.

You don't need to brake lines from the mc downward...you can just bend the originals a little so they line up with the new mc location

It used to cost less than $100 if you go to the wrecking yard for the pedal.

Some use the original pedal and drill a new mounting hole in it...should be a template somewhere online that shows where.

It takes King Kong to  stand on the pedal if the system fails....that is for sure.   I went up a curb one day to keep from hitting a school bus....
Steve Wood

Offline Shimy87

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19 2012, 02:05:15 PM »
Thanks Steve  :atbeer: ,  I will definately be making this conversion. To much to risk by hoping they never fail.
87 GN, K&N cold air, gutted cat, TT 5.7 chip, AFPR, 340 Walbro w/ hotwire, 60 LBS injectors, 981 valve springs, 206/206 Cam, RJC Powerplate, LS1 MAF & translator, Vacuum brakes, Hellwig rear sway bar, Energy suspension poly bushings, Razors Alky, Pypes exhaust, 5931 turbo, CK9.5 converter

Offline Shimy87

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20 2012, 11:00:54 AM »
Found an old 87 buick a guy is turning into a stock car, puts in his own complete braking system. $50 for pedal assembly, booster and MC if I remove it. Is there a way to determine if parts are good or bad? no motor in car now. A rebuilt MC is $38, booster is $198, dont know if you can buy a pedal assembly anywhere. Plan was to get old stuff, and new MC and clean it all up and do the conversion so only questionable part would be booster.
?

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20 2012, 11:04:26 AM »
boosters seldom go...master cylinder is probably good..that is what I would do...cost you more than $50 to find a pedal from a vendor type, I suspect
Steve Wood

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 234
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20 2012, 11:19:54 AM »
Found an old 87 buick a guy is turning into a stock car, puts in his own complete braking system. $50 for pedal assembly, booster and MC if I remove it. Is there a way to determine if parts are good or bad? no motor in car now. A rebuilt MC is $38, booster is $198, dont know if you can buy a pedal assembly anywhere. Plan was to get old stuff, and new MC and clean it all up and do the conversion so only questionable part would be booster.
?

That's a good buy, for two reasons.

1. Good price
2. you get to learn how to remove the assembly/learn the mechanicals on someone else's car.
'87 GN, 60lb, TA49, THDP, FTP cam, T+ lots o' shit - SOLD
'07 Ford F150 Lariat 2WD, 5.4L 3v - 255k
'20 Kubota BX2380. FEL, 60" deck
'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy
'99 Kawasaki Bayou 400 4x4

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20 2012, 12:09:29 PM »
take the wrenches suggested in that link I gave you....plus a pair of side cutters just in case you run into tinnerman nuts used as lock nuts
Steve Wood

Offline Shimy87

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22 2012, 11:59:25 AM »
What is the difference on the brake pedal/arm? Cant look at car as its in the body shop. I'm assuming the vacuum brake booster actuator arm wont just hook up to powermaster brake pedal/arm??

Would save some gymnastics under the dash if it would!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal