Author Topic: Coolant leak  (Read 10873 times)

Offline phil_long

• F47
  • Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 0
  • ...far from avg
    • View Profile
Coolant leak
« on: July 01 2015, 11:45:47 AM »
I think it's coming from the water pump, but too bummed to even look at it. Am I asking too much for my car to just operate normally? I barely drive the damn thing. Im almost sure the guy did the water pump when he did the timing chain.  Hasn't been three years yet.  :013:

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
Re: Coolant leak
« Reply #1 on: July 01 2015, 02:04:59 PM »
I guess you are going to have to look and see if it is coming out of the weep hole, around the long bolt that goes into the water jacket, or around the gaskets between the pump and block, and/or the hose.

Driving the car seldom does not help
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01 2015, 02:09:17 PM »
Phil...hang in there. This stupid Impala SS gave me fits...so I parked it awhile. I got it sorted out...and it's running like a top. Changing the water pump ain't that tough. Get stuck...and the guys will be here to talk you through it. :)

I agree with Steve. Let the car sit...and seals etc dry out.
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline earlbrown

• PSI: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01 2015, 03:28:36 PM »
You have to remove the water pump to do the timing chain.

Odds are it's weeping out of one of the long bolts.   If that's the case the fix would be pretty easy as long as the bolt threads aren't rusted all to hell...

...or just drop in a GM seal tab.
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline phil_long

• F47
  • ...far from avg
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02 2015, 09:05:55 AM »
I plan to do my own work from here on out. I hope to get chance to check it this weekend. I need to get under the car to see exactly where it's coming from, correct? And by not driving often, i mean every two weeks. Weekends depending on the weather.

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 1
  • So, This black car is fast?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02 2015, 07:28:32 PM »
If you start it and the under the water pump hole pisses water you found the leak. If it comes from elsewhere that is a discovery you will have to make. Just remember that the pulley and belt are moving when the engine is running. No loose clothing, or you could regret it.
Rich

"Goals without actions are just dreams."

Offline earlbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02 2015, 11:34:34 PM »
If it's the weep hole on the water pump, there should be a visable stain where the coolant sediment stained the casting.  When one of my old rusty long bolts leaked there was a green ring where the bolt head met the waterpump and a nice little green droplet hanging down.
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline phil_long

• F47
  • ...far from avg
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03 2015, 02:17:12 PM »
I checked everything around the water pump, and it seems fine. I then discovered that the leak was above it. As soon as I began to loosen(not even one turn) coolant started coming out of that hose right where the clamp is. After making a mess of inspecting the hose and tightening it back, I decided to wash the coolant off of the spot were it had been. I'll have to wait until its completely dry before we know for sure.

Offline phil_long

• F47
  • ...far from avg
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03 2015, 02:19:32 PM »
Needless to say, after giving the car a jump and getting it started, I heard something worse than the leak of coolant. I'm almost positive that the sound I'm getting from the motor is internal. My stomach hurts worse now. I'll video the sound after I eat. The car seems to run fine, but this knock sound isn't good.

Offline earlbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04 2015, 03:03:00 AM »
So the S-hose leaked...   and now you have lifter rattle?

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04 2015, 09:28:29 AM »
Earl's prolly right. Make sure it has oil pressure. Sitting too long...you may have to reprime it. Seen this situation more than once.
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline phil_long

• F47
  • ...far from avg
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13 2015, 11:00:05 AM »

Offline phil_long

• F47
  • ...far from avg
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13 2015, 11:01:49 AM »
Sorry for the delay. Just back from a cruise. It was fun

Offline earlbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13 2015, 05:58:00 PM »
check your flex plate bolts and your intercooler bolts.

Oh, and get some zipties or safety wire on those boost hoses running from the MBC  :)

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #14 on: July 13 2015, 07:05:50 PM »
does the sound go away when you rev the engine a bit?  If so, I would guess cracked flex plate...cracke d between the mounting bolt holes...
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal