Author Topic: Bigger brake project  (Read 4647 times)

Offline Shimy87

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Bigger brake project
« Reply #15 on: July 20 2020, 12:48:14 PM »
Get car in the air, but do in such a way that you can get a jack under the lower control arm.

From here this is the first time I have worked with ball joints so if this isnt the "proper" way, sorry, it worked for me.

Remove old caliper from bracket and wire up out of the way so its not hanging by the hose.

Pull cotter pin and back castle nut off to top of stud on tie rod end, give spindle casting a few raps with a hammer and it will drop out, nut will catch it. remove nut and swing out of the way.

Pull pins on ball joints, loosen castle nuts to ends of studs. ( this may not be correct here but worked for me) hit the upper casting on the spindle and after a few shots it will break free, then do the same on bottom. Now jack up the control arm to relieve pressure and remove nuts.

Remove spindle and install new one, use jack to help get nuts started.

Once that is on with new cotter pins installed you can install new rotor and caliper. You will have to use provided spacers to get caliper bracket evenly spaced on rotor

Now connect the brake line so there is no binding or rubbing, and then connect the tie rod end.

Now do it all again on the other side!
« Last Edit: July 20 2020, 01:05:52 PM by Shimy87 »
87 GN, K&N cold air, gutted cat, TT 5.7 chip, AFPR, 340 Walbro w/ hotwire, 60 LBS injectors, 981 valve springs, 206/206 Cam, RJC Powerplate, LS1 MAF & translator, Vacuum brakes, Hellwig rear sway bar, Energy suspension poly bushings, Razors Alky, Pypes exhaust, 5931 turbo, CK9.5 converter

Offline Shimy87

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 20 2020, 01:28:58 PM »
Now both sides are done, bleed the brakes and your done.

On mine with the new spindles my front end alignment was way off so I did a back yard alignment with some string and straight bars to get close enough to break in the brakes. Will need to get a real alignment done.

Also I have 17 inch wheels and the new set up just fit. I actually had to get one wheel re balanced as the stick on weights were in the middle of the wheel and hit the caliper.

A few pics of before and after
87 GN, K&N cold air, gutted cat, TT 5.7 chip, AFPR, 340 Walbro w/ hotwire, 60 LBS injectors, 981 valve springs, 206/206 Cam, RJC Powerplate, LS1 MAF & translator, Vacuum brakes, Hellwig rear sway bar, Energy suspension poly bushings, Razors Alky, Pypes exhaust, 5931 turbo, CK9.5 converter

Offline daveismissing

• Two Buicks- too little money$$
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • Two Buicks- too little money$$
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 21 2020, 12:24:58 AM »
Wow - Thanks for the parts list !
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline Top Speed

• Don't Tread on Me
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 21 2020, 12:19:27 PM »
The original brakes look tiny in comparison.
Champion Irons w/T&D roller rockers, TA-61 turbo, 206/206 Comp Cam,  57 lb/hr Siemens Injectors, 3000 stall PTC, PTE Plenum w/RJC Power Plate, 70 mm Accufab Throttle Body, RJC 325 Megacooler, TurboTweak 5.7/ Alky Control w/M1 methanol, 23 psig on the street, Puddn' Power engine, Borla Exhaust

Chris

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #19 on: July 21 2020, 03:53:52 PM »
Yes, it looks like the originals came from the toy car section
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #20 on: July 21 2020, 03:54:36 PM »
Those 12.5"s are definitely not going under my 16" GTA wheels
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal