Author Topic: Trans shifter would not shift trans  (Read 2885 times)

Offline IL KIM

• Bone Stock
  • PSI: 1
    • View Profile
Trans shifter would not shift trans
« on: August 19 2021, 11:03:27 AM »
Hi guys.

I can press shifter button and pull shifter rearward to engage R,N,D etc like normal but when I push forward, the shifter handle moves but does not change gears and no tension/force felt in shifter handle.

Looking under vehicle, the levers and outer manual trans lever all look good. I can move the Trans outer lever manually by hand to shift back to N, R,P.

What’s wrong?  Is the shifter under the center floor console become disconnected?
This is happening at an auto shop where I’m sitting waiting for AC recharge right now.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: September 30 2021, 03:12:26 PM by IL KIM »
85 GN w/86 motor, TRW pistons, Weber 206 billet roller cam, o/sized valves, 130psi springs, KB roller rockers, 3400 West Coast conv, adj w/gate, FPR, KB ram air, ported, KB headers, G-Body DP, Walbro 340M/hotwire, 60lb Hi Z, CPT66bb, LS1 MAF, TT chip, Hofer Trans, Stevemon TB, PTE SLIC, RJC powerpla

Offline IL KIM

• Bone Stock
    • View Profile
Re: Trans shifter would not shift trans
« Reply #1 on: August 19 2021, 12:22:15 PM »
Got home ok. Found out I can rotate the steering column collar to change gears so didn’t have to crawl under car for reverse out of parking space and put into D.  Found out my park brakes still work!  Thanks
85 GN w/86 motor, TRW pistons, Weber 206 billet roller cam, o/sized valves, 130psi springs, KB roller rockers, 3400 West Coast conv, adj w/gate, FPR, KB ram air, ported, KB headers, G-Body DP, Walbro 340M/hotwire, 60lb Hi Z, CPT66bb, LS1 MAF, TT chip, Hofer Trans, Stevemon TB, PTE SLIC, RJC powerpla

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #2 on: August 20 2021, 10:50:35 AM »
Two things to keep in the back of your mind.

1) you can grab the collar and shift the transmission like it is a column shifter

2)  If you keep your alky tank full, you may have enuf alky to get home or a better place if your fuel pump  dies by mashing the test button on the controller whenever the engine is about to die....you can go a pretty good distance doing so.
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline IL KIM

• Bone Stock
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30 2021, 03:11:34 PM »
Well I finally got tired of shifting with the column and took the floor console off to see what's going on.  The shifter cable came apart.  See pic. 

Is there a repair procedure you guys have used?  I cut some of the plastic sheathing off and the steel cable sheathing does fits back into the plastic retainer.  Was thinking I could clamp the retainer over the cable or run a set-screw in through the retainer to hold the steel sheathing?  Or is best bet to find a new cable?  Thanks!

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30 2021, 04:01:02 PM »
I would think for the long term, a new cable would be the way to go
Steve Wood

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 0
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30 2021, 06:45:37 PM »
Well I finally got tired of shifting with the column and took the floor console off to see what's going on.  The shifter cable came apart.  See pic. 

Is there a repair procedure you guys have used?  I cut some of the plastic sheathing off and the steel cable sheathing does fits back into the plastic retainer.  Was thinking I could clamp the retainer over the cable or run a set-screw in through the retainer to hold the steel sheathing?  Or is best bet to find a new cable?  Thanks!
I just replaced this cable and it fits great
Amazon has them or you can check with EBay for better price, if you can find it
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C8TB3W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
87 GN T-Top, ScanMaster, hot-wire kit, Full Throttle chips w/ matching 60# injectors, adj. fuel pump, and triple pod gauges w/ AEM A/F gauge, oil pressure gauge, vac/boost gauge, Kenne Belle rear seat brace, upgraded tranny w/ Art Carr pan cover, and a pre-lube oil system.

Offline IL KIM

• Bone Stock
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01 2021, 08:06:39 AM »
Thank you gnonyx! Ordered it from Amazon and it should arrive tomorrow.  :cheers:

Was installation straight forward - does cable go from trans outer manual lever to shifter or does the steering column come into play?
« Last Edit: October 01 2021, 08:12:44 AM by IL KIM »

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 0
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01 2021, 09:54:16 AM »
Thank you gnonyx! Ordered it from Amazon and it should arrive tomorrow.  :cheers:

Was installation straight forward - does cable go from trans outer manual lever to shifter or does the steering column come into play?
I didn't want to remove the whole console, and the shifter handle, so I remove the bolts holding down the console lift it high enough and place about 5-7" empty box on the rear of the console. I was able to lift the front of the console to remove the shifter cable clip, and slide off the cable from the shifter. Go underneath the car and remove the clip from the other end of the shifter cable, and pull cable from underneath car, and reverse procedure of installing new shifter cable.
You might need the really work on trying to push the new shifter cable through the floor rubber grommet. Worst scenario, you might need to cut rubber grommet on one side, once cable is inside rubber grommet install the rubber grommet back into position as before; don't leave the grommet out.
87 GN T-Top, ScanMaster, hot-wire kit, Full Throttle chips w/ matching 60# injectors, adj. fuel pump, and triple pod gauges w/ AEM A/F gauge, oil pressure gauge, vac/boost gauge, Kenne Belle rear seat brace, upgraded tranny w/ Art Carr pan cover, and a pre-lube oil system.

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01 2021, 10:45:34 AM »
lubricate the grommet...may help it slide
Steve Wood

Offline IL KIM

• Bone Stock
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03 2021, 08:13:43 AM »
Thank you both. I already removed the shifter handle and console so the cable replacement sounds pretty straight forward. Lube is always good! 

Offline IL KIM

• Bone Stock
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04 2021, 03:14:26 PM »
Update to close out this thread.  Installation of new cable was straight forward and relatively easy.  I did have open up the hole on the floor shifter end about a 0.6mm to fit over the shaft but new cable works well - thanks gnonyx!   :cheers:
Now to fix my ghost horn issue that popped up...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal