Author Topic: MAF Upgrade or SD?  (Read 11051 times)

Offline earlbrown

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 6
    • View Profile
Re: MAF Upgrade or SD?
« Reply #15 on: February 22 2019, 12:47:20 PM »

On this theme: At what point is it beneficial to move to LS-1 MAF and 3.5" plumbing VS LT-1MAF and 3" plumbing?

The point to move to a LS1 is the day Bob announced the birth of the Translator.

Between the two, the LS1 has less pressure drop over the LT1, so it wins hands down. The only reason to go LT1 is if you just refuse to buy a new air filter.
On the plumbing, there's no real reason to go to a 3.5" pipe other than cosmetics. (I will admit my 3.5 kit looks ''meaty as hell'').   The cross sectional area of the 3.5" MAF is only 80XX% of a 3" pipe.  (the LT1 is in the 60's percentile).
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline Dont Panic

• Bone Stock
  • PSI: 0
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 22 2019, 01:04:26 PM »

On this theme: At what point is it beneficial to move to LS-1 MAF and 3.5" plumbing VS LT-1MAF and 3" plumbing?

The point to move to a LS1 is the day Bob announced the birth of the Translator.

Between the two, the LS1 has less pressure drop over the LT1, so it wins hands down. The only reason to go LT1 is if you just refuse to buy a new air filter.
On the plumbing, there's no real reason to go to a 3.5" pipe other than cosmetics. (I will admit my 3.5 kit looks ''meaty as hell'').   The cross sectional area of the 3.5" MAF is only 80XX% of a 3" pipe.  (the LT1 is in the 60's percentile).

Is the LS1 still the largest most reliable MAF available today?

Offline Dont Panic

• Bone Stock
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22 2019, 01:15:55 PM »
Powerlogger is a much better investment than another chip.  There is no performance in going from a 5.7 to a 6.1.  It just makes it a bit harder for you to screw up :D  DirectScan was great in its day but lots of things can go wrong in the 1.4 seconds that it takes DirectScan to update.

I'm pretty sure the DS has a fast refresh rate, maybe 18 frames per second.  I'll do some research on the powerlogger.

Offline Grumpy

• Turbo Street Modified
  • PSI: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22 2019, 01:17:33 PM »
3.5 maf.  :cool; how fast are you looking to go ? 

Offline daveismissing

• Two Buicks- too little money$$
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 22 2019, 01:30:17 PM »
I think DS is pretty usable if you have the ancient hardware. IIRC It was Turbo Link that only had ALDL refresh rates.
Nice to see you around again Devon :)
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline earlbrown

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 22 2019, 01:31:22 PM »

Is the LS1 still the largest most reliable MAF available today?

You're really spending too much time overthinking things, and not enough time under the hood.

It's the largest MAF available today that works with the Translator.
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline daveismissing

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 22 2019, 01:34:47 PM »
I remember Norbs tried to get that Granatelli sewer pipe to work without any luck
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline Dont Panic

• Bone Stock
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 22 2019, 02:06:56 PM »
3.5 maf.  :cool; how fast are you looking to go ?

Thanks, I'll go with the 3.5".  I would like to make the intake piping and MAF as large as possible now to future proof it.  If a 4" MAF was available that better suited 3.5" piping I would likely buy it even though it is currently overkill for my setup.

Offline reality

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 22 2019, 02:12:02 PM »
There is a 4in available. and it's a ford part.
However 26 mph in the back half on 19lbs boost with all 3in. 3850 lbs Buick w driver;
Get rid of all that flexhose. JMO :icon_lol:

Offline Dont Panic

• Bone Stock
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 22 2019, 02:55:56 PM »
There is a 4in available. and it's a ford part.
However 26 mph in the back half on 19lbs boost with all 3in. 3850 lbs Buick w driver;
Get rid of all that flexhose. JMO :icon_lol:

I was thinking of running a straight section of 3.5 inch smooth tubing from the turbo to the exit out of the engine bay (with MAF mounted somewhere in the middle) and then 4 inch flex hose over the wheel well down to where the filter is.  I have a lot of length and bends so not sure if 3" would be a restriction.  It sounds like it isn't a restriction in your set-up.  Maybe I'll stick with 3" for the straight section since the 3.5" MAF is less than the 3" tubing cross section anyways.

Offline reality

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 22 2019, 05:38:12 PM »
What size is your throttle body. stock is only about 2 in.

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 1
  • So, This black car is fast?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 22 2019, 05:49:21 PM »
Did I miss the goal? Are you going to take it to the track and run it? Or as mentioned it is a street car and will be primarily atreet?
I didn't read any bad advice but for a street car kiss and so the translated and newer style maf. Fancy computers might be nice and have lots of features but you are building a street car. And I assume(yes, I know) you want to drive it and not tune on it.

The first thing that jumps out in the op is the unbranded "2800 stall" converter. Who built it, how old is it and is it a lockup? I think your best next money is in a new converter for your setup. Don't lie to the place putting it together, it isn't something that works for the future. You need one that works for your setup.

I can't imagine putting in more thought than what Steve, earl, Dan and the others have already posted. Get the maf/translator and get to driving it.
« Last Edit: February 22 2019, 06:37:56 PM by TexasT »
Rich

"Goals without actions are just dreams."

Offline Dont Panic

• Bone Stock
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 22 2019, 08:12:19 PM »
I got the turbo, injectors, converter and chip (red93) as a package but it was a long time ago (maybe 2004).  I think it was a red armstrong LU converter but I could be wrong.

I'll get all the leaks fixed and see how it goes before looking into the converter.

I'm pretty sure I will go with the new MAF and translator.  That seems to be the overwhelming consensus.  It is also the cheapest and easiest solution, which works for me.

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 23 2019, 11:41:05 AM »
Z06 in the largest MAF you can get...may or may not need a 3 to 5 pin connector available from Eric. I did a same day test with the LT1, LS1 and Z06 with the Z06 showing the leanest 02's at WOT...surprise surprise. The Z06 is overkill...don't do what I do.
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 1
  • So, This black car is fast?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 23 2019, 01:56:11 PM »
Converter tech has changed a bit in the last fifteen yrs
Rich

"Goals without actions are just dreams."