Author Topic: Another Problemo  (Read 2289 times)

Offline Bob-Lob-Law

• Bone Stock
  • PSI: 0
    • View Profile
Another Problemo
« on: August 19 2013, 07:55:37 PM »
Well found a transmission leak and had to remove the radiator to fix it.  The cooler line wasn't screwed in good enough to the radiator to make a seal.  Easy fix. 

Now, when I removed the radiator, I had folded both radiator hoses back up and away to keep the hoses from getting in the way of the radiator.  Now, putting the radiator back in, I brought the bottom radiator hose down to mount and when I did, a bunch of water started leaking from around the engine.  I couldn't find where it was flowing from with all the accessories still on.  When I was finally able to crawl under the car, the water had finished flowing out and I could not find a source.  I checked the bottom hose and didn't find any splits in it.  It was dark in the garage so I could have missed something. 

I would appreciate any advise as to where to check for any leaks.  I guess I could put the upper hose back on and fill the radiator and see if it leaks and trace it.  However I just wanted to get some input from here first. 

Thanks.

Offline bescurred

• Bone Stock
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
Re: Another Problemo
« Reply #1 on: August 19 2013, 09:10:04 PM »
Sounds like how I work lol, If you didn't have any leaks at all and all you did was bend the hoses back.  I'd say you put a hole somehow in one of the hoses. 

Offline gnonyx

• Turbo Street Modified
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19 2013, 09:21:01 PM »
Is it possible you didn't remove all of the water from the radiator, and secondly if you did remove the water you will still have some water inside the block. Why don't you put all hoses back, fill it with water, and see if any leak is detected. If not then start engine let it get warm and then check for leaks.
87 GN T-Top, ScanMaster, hot-wire kit, Full Throttle chips w/ matching 60# injectors, adj. fuel pump, and triple pod gauges w/ AEM A/F gauge, oil pressure gauge, vac/boost gauge, Kenne Belle rear seat brace, upgraded tranny w/ Art Carr pan cover, and a pre-lube oil system.

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 234
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20 2013, 08:42:53 AM »
Assuming it's not just coolant coming out of the block/radiator that didn't drain initially:
Sounds to me like the bottom hose ripped, or is loose at the water pump.

Wait until you have good light and check it.
'87 GN, 60lb, TA49, THDP, FTP cam, T+ lots o' shit - SOLD
'07 Ford F150 Lariat 2WD, 5.4L 3v - 255k
'20 Kubota BX2380. FEL, 60" deck
'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy
'99 Kawasaki Bayou 400 4x4

Offline Bob-Lob-Law

• Bone Stock
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20 2013, 08:02:17 PM »
Well, I checked out the hose and didn't find any holes.  I even plugged the lower hose put some pressure to the upper hose and it held the pressure.  So, my next move will be go over all the hoses again, even the small ones then to fill er up and do a run test.  Probably won't get to that until the weekend.  I'll keep you all posted.

Thanks for the help.

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #5 on: August 20 2013, 08:55:11 PM »
check the weep hole in the water pump as well
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal