Author Topic: wheel bearing swap on 2500hd  (Read 3338 times)

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 1
  • So, This black car is fast?
    • View Profile
wheel bearing swap on 2500hd
« on: December 13 2015, 10:48:45 PM »
Wheel bearing on a truck.

how to screenshot on windows 7

So our 2003 2500hd developed a squeak or groan depending on who was driving. I hit a nasty pot hole two nights in a row on the pass side. I'm not sure this caused the fail as the truck has over 150k miles but it did make noise and watching it in traffic from our other vehicles I noticed the wheel moved around and driving it turning it made noise and had a funny loose feel to the steering wheel. So we got on rock auto dot com and ordered up a moog replacement piece which came with the wheel sensor which was nice.

Got a break in the rain and we were both free so we did the swap tonight. I think it turned out well bit he took it around the block so I didn't drive it yet.
Next on the agenda is getting the gauges worked over as they all quit working. We are using a phone app as a speedometer . Oh well it still runs and gets us from a to b.
« Last Edit: December 13 2015, 10:54:49 PM by TexasT »
Rich

"Goals without actions are just dreams."

Offline granitestategn

• Turbo Street Limited
  • PSI: 0
    • View Profile
Re: wheel bearing swap on 2500hd
« Reply #1 on: December 15 2015, 09:13:44 PM »
Not sure if the front wheel bearings on the 1500 and the 2500 are the same but I got an intermittent ABS fault on my 04 GMC 1500 4X4 before it went out. Wheel bearing went out pretty quick. I used Timken's and got them from AutoZone online for a good price after discounts. They are a common failure item on these trucks. I bought a spare on sale and it's sitting on my shelf waiting for the other one to go. Not uncommon for them to shoot craps a little over 100K.
87 GN, 97K, original owner, stock turbo, stock IC, 60# inj, Turbotweak 93 chip, some other odds & ends

12.98 @ 104

Offline daveismissing

• Two Buicks- too little money$$
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • Two Buicks- too little money$$
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31 2016, 09:30:35 AM »
You get about, dunno, 40- 60K  out of Rendezvous wheel bearings. Doesn't seem to matter what price point you choose. Pay hundreds-pay $50 no diff. Good thing with the volume of replacements the price is now cheap.
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline dyermullet

• Turbo Street Limited
  • PSI: 0
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02 2016, 12:00:11 PM »
Wheel bearing on a truck.

how to screenshot on windows 7

So our 2003 2500hd developed a squeak or groan depending on who was driving. I hit a nasty pot hole two nights in a row on the pass side. I'm not sure this caused the fail as the truck has over 150k miles but it did make noise and watching it in traffic from our other vehicles I noticed the wheel moved around and driving it turning it made noise and had a funny loose feel to the steering wheel. So we got on rock auto dot com and ordered up a moog replacement piece which came with the wheel sensor which was nice.

Got a break in the rain and we were both free so we did the swap tonight. I think it turned out well bit he took it around the block so I didn't drive it yet.
Next on the agenda is getting the gauges worked over as they all quit working. We are using a phone app as a speedometer . Oh well it still runs and gets us from a to b.

The gauges are just the stepper motors are bad.  You can buy the upgrade replacements on ebay for cheap.  Have to solder them in.  Common problem.  I had to do to my 2500hd when it was 5 years old.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal