Author Topic: At what point...  (Read 4113 times)

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 1
  • So, This black car is fast?
    • View Profile
At what point...
« on: April 11 2018, 03:35:49 PM »
At what point does the restoration become more like a clone or tribute car? We are all car people here i think. I'm not really the restoration type and by the cars on here neither are yall. But I'm looking at this stage 1 convertible and reading the description and it looks like a lot of it has been replaced. Full Interior, suspension and such. When does the car even though it started out as a four speed stage one convertible not be that as it has most of it replaced?
https://www.mecum.com/lots/SC0518-327278/1970-buick-gs-stage-1-convertible/

I guess that is why I appreciate the rat rod or stuff that is driven and has patina or whatever they are calling it. Like the Jason Cook GS455 beater car. Real GS 455, has it tuned up and reliable. Just a cool old somewhat original car.
http://www.v8buick.com/index.php?threads/new-project-for-the-beater-gs.326637/
« Last Edit: April 11 2018, 03:44:37 PM by TexasT »
Rich

"Goals without actions are just dreams."

Offline daveismissing

• Two Buicks- too little money$$
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • Two Buicks- too little money$$
    • View Profile
Re: At what point...
« Reply #1 on: April 11 2018, 05:07:30 PM »
I like drivers, not showpieces. When I read that the owner hired restorers to do all the work I lose interest. I have much more respect for you figuring out at that tranny stuff (NO, not that tranny stuff EARL) than these guys with their perfect cars.
-Drain plug by Earl Brown, custom oil pan by Rich's Auto

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11 2018, 05:10:08 PM »
Driver quality for me as well.
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline Just a Six?

• OK Now who Farted??
  • Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11 2018, 08:20:20 PM »
 I agree that paying people to do all the work isn't the same as the guy who spends the hours wrenching & getting his hands dirty even if it's just maintenance stuff. Either way at some point a day at the track is part of being a gearhead for me, no matter what numbers I run. Now I guess I better change the oil & drop the car back onto the ground one of these days.
David
87 LTD. Purchased May 88
Doeskin leather, coach lites without Landau Roof, moon roof, carpeted trunk & No Factory Hood Ornament!
The sticker on AC shows a V-8 Carb car. Special order by Mr. Nick Hall VP of GM Canada
Runs 11.50 on 21 lbs with my old style 67 Q Trim & Alchy

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #4 on: April 11 2018, 09:43:25 PM »
Cars were built to be driven. Jay Leno has some really rare cases that her pulls out and drives. I'm gonna drive anything I buy.
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline good2win22

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 0
  • No man lives happily lest he remove the boredom
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11 2018, 10:49:52 PM »
I drive what I have.  Problem is I want to drive so many different vehicles that I haven't owned yet. Growing up poor sure makes you appreciate little things like functionality. Don't get me wrong, I like nice stuff, I just like to do it myself. Don't take that wrong either, I know the limits of my abilities and I either learn myself or pay hard earned money to folks who either have the tools or expertise and sometimes, those two don't go together.
Jason

1966 Ford Ranch Wagon
1982 Jeep Wagoneer Limited
1986 Grand National BLK PHNX
1987 Turbo Regal Limited
2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline earlbrown

• PSI: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11 2018, 11:30:52 PM »
The phrase is ''built not bought''.

Nice and ''nice'' are two different things.   One is a car, the other is someone elses car you you happen to have legal possession of.  I'll take the first every single time.
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline turbobuickltd

• Bone Stock
  • PSI: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12 2018, 07:52:51 AM »
If you find a decent car, get your hands dirty and make it your own you have what I perceive to be the majority of the guys who post here do and have done. It is also what I find what draws me to the car hobby, wrenching and keeping decent cars on the road.

When it comes to the original question of when a restoration becomes a clone or a tribute car, that comes down to how it left the factory not how new the sheet metal is.  When it comes to restoration if the numbers match or the driveline is period correct and correct to the build sheet a rotted out tetanus infested body becomes very valuable after a rebuild. The 60s Vettes, Mopar B-bodies, GM A-bodies, Fastback Mustangs are going to bring top dollar restored to original.  So it would seem in terms of value all the metal, paint and shiny parts can be new so long as the drive train is numbers matching or period correct it would not be a clone. Now if you find a never driven mint 307ci 69 Camaro still in the wrapper, you throw a 427 in it and make it a COPO clone you have just that a clone. Is it worth more??? Value is in the eye of the buyer.
1987 Buick Regal Limited Turbo T
1991 Oldsmobile 98 Regency Elite
1992 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
2008 Ford F150 4.6L 2wd 'cause 4wd only gets you stuck further from the road!!!

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13 2018, 12:46:18 PM »
https://www.mecum.com/lots/SC0518-326895/1971-pontiac-gto-judge-pilot-car/

This is what I would like to see at a show or whatnot. But if mine I would be driving it. Not started in twenty yrs? What is wrong with people.
Rich

Offline Pyro6

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13 2018, 06:14:27 PM »
Lot of you  might be sick of my 442 stories, but the discussion here applies. I bought it in 1975, I was a senior in HS. I would love to see it totally restored as in the day it came off the showroom floor. It is 90% original and still runs great. The paint is tired, but when I take it to the  Carlisle show, detail it and it looks good. I had one guy come up, stare at the front end, and said: you still have the original headlights. I love that stuff. My 68 Rebel, somebody did a shit paint job and a lot of other crappy stuff. I get so many comments on it the way it is, and it is truly a driver. I haven't any plans of doing any restoration work, plus it's so hard to get part. What I see what people call a total restoration is like i said earlier: what it looked like the day it came off the showroom floor. I did major resto work to Thomas' 87 Ramcharger and my 72 GMC. I'm done with that kind of work. I would like to build a Rat Rod tho.

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #10 on: April 14 2018, 10:55:56 AM »
I'm just envious that you have something from your younger days...
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline earlbrown

• PSI: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14 2018, 11:48:54 AM »
Lot of you  might be sick of my 442 stories, but the discussion here applies. I bought it in 1975, I was a senior in HS. I would love to see it totally restored as in the day it came off the showroom floor. It is 90% original and still runs great. The paint is tired, but when I take it to the  Carlisle show, detail it and it looks good. I had one guy come up, stare at the front end, and said: you still have the original headlights. I love that stuff.

That had a name that was all the rage a few years ago. I think it was 'survivor'.

Something along the lines of not restored, but maintained as a driver the whole time.   Back then, those cars were fetching the most money over the projects and restoreds.   Even with flaws like worn drivers seat bottoms and such.   At that time it was considered sacrilege to take those cars apart and make them into display items instead of actual cars.

Personally I like those the most.  A full restoration just doesn't do anything for me.  Looking at a 'brand new' 1963 Cobra at a show would be kinda cool, but going back in time and looking at a brand new 1963 Cobra on a dealership floor would make me moist.

'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14 2018, 12:05:23 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlRKSmHgzdE

This to me is the coolest find. Even though the cobra is a 428 it was put up and re emerged after years along with its garage mates. A Ferrari, BMW and some old green car. Real cool when they went to auction and the Ferrari almost drove off the block as it had no brakes.
Rich

Offline Forzfed

• PSI: 5
  • Boost n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14 2018, 03:13:24 PM »
That is kind of gross, Rich!  Cool cars but the mice make it a real turn off.  Like I mentioned in another thread there was a local that had a Barn Find 67 Shelby Cobra and that thing smelled so bad I made a comment to my buddy that it should be confiscated by the CDC!!

A low milage well preserved car is what I like.  My low milage T is as close as coming off the show room, seats are still firm.  Ride is still fairly stiff for that era car.  Big difference than driving my other car!

It's like my RZ350's.  I still have the one I bought when I was 16 with 2600 miles on it.  Granted I lived in the North so riding season was 3 to 4 months and only 60 miles of paved road.  I've had people that aren't bike people that were wowed by it!
« Last Edit: April 15 2018, 12:50:52 PM by Forzfed »

Offline Pyro6

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18 2018, 06:06:37 PM »
End of 2017

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal