Author Topic: 80 Z28 No Start Question  (Read 6165 times)

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 3
  • YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!
    • View Profile
80 Z28 No Start Question
« on: September 14 2014, 08:33:34 PM »
Drove the 80 Z28 for about 2 hours straight. Pulled up in front of the house...and shut it off. Decided I'd put it in the driveway. Turned the key...and nothing...with the exception of the headlights dimming somewhat. Went out the next morning...and it turned over no problem. I'm thinking the starter or solenoid is getting hot. I'm fairly certain both are original form 1980. When I turned the key over when I went to start it up after the two hour run, the key can be removed in the on position. Could it also be the ignition switch where the key goes in?
Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do!

RIP Scott Hall AKA Razor Ramon

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
Re: 80 Z28 No Start Question
« Reply #1 on: September 14 2014, 08:43:46 PM »
As the lights went dim, I would guess the solenoid
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14 2014, 08:47:30 PM »
Thanks. If it ever gets above the freezing mark up here, I'll swap it out. Another chilly nite.

Offline earlbrown

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15 2014, 03:01:26 AM »
Freezing mark?  Its 3am here and chilly at 71.F....    that's 21.88C (anadian)   :)

You guys can have all that!

where the key goes in means nothing. That's just a lock. It doesn't have anything to do with the electrical system.
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 234
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15 2014, 03:43:54 PM »
I don't see how it can be the ignition cylinder..

I would also check for a dead cell in the battery, and make sure the batt terminals are clean.
'87 GN, 60lb, TA49, THDP, FTP cam, T+ lots o' shit - SOLD
'07 Ford F150 Lariat 2WD, 5.4L 3v - 255k
'20 Kubota BX2380. FEL, 60" deck
'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy
'99 Kawasaki Bayou 400 4x4

Offline earlbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15 2014, 03:56:07 PM »
since the lights dimmed with you hit the starter, that means it was pulling some current. Did you hear any clicks or anything?   Sounds like a typical GM hot start problem to me.

If it does it again, a test would be to have someone hold it to start, then bang the starter with a Mag-Lite or tire iron.  If it busts right off, it's a sticky solenoid.

If you don't care about remaining 'concours' a Ford starter solenoid usually fortifies the signal enough to make the work right.
'87 GN - 4.2L SFI Turbocharged innercooled V6 - Chrome valve covers - supra pump - 14" K&N - 52mm throttlebody - rocker shaft supports -  1/2 intake spacer - TB coolant bypass - 3" ATR exhaust tip - Alum intake pipe - NOS timing cover - chip - relocated charcoal canister - CR42's - stock

Offline larrym

• PSI: 1
    • View Profile
80 Z28 No Start Question
« Reply #6 on: September 15 2014, 04:29:16 PM »
Yeah I hate to say it but I got a ford solenoid on my Buick...
86 white T type with t tops and blackout trim. 60lb injectors Gen 2 with Extender Chip TR6 ignition 212/206 roller cam Turbonetics BB CPT 61 CAS V4 Intercooler Cobbled together Alky Injection 4 inch MAF pipe with integral sensor
2800 stall lots of fun with a little 6 banger!
Best ET 11.36

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15 2014, 05:00:09 PM »
since the lights dimmed with you hit the starter, that means it was pulling some current. Did you hear any clicks or anything?   Sounds like a typical GM hot start problem to me.

If it does it again, a test would be to have someone hold it to start, then bang the starter with a Mag-Lite or tire iron.  If it busts right off, it's a sticky solenoid.

If you don't care about remaining 'concours' a Ford starter solenoid usually fortifies the signal enough to make the work right.

Earl...it never made a sound. Turned the key...and the lights dimmed slightly. Went out the next morning...and it turned over normal. Tried starting it about a million times...thinki ng it mite be a bad connection...b ut it started each time normally. Only thing I noticed is the key can be removed while the car is running. Is that normal for that year of GM car..or is the cylinder NFG...and should be replaced?

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15 2014, 05:02:17 PM »
Freezing mark?  Its 3am here and chilly at 71.F....    that's 21.88C (anadian)   :)

You guys can have all that!

where the key goes in means nothing. That's just a lock. It doesn't have anything to do with the electrical system.

Was 48F at the track Saturday nite...and they had frost Sunday morning one hour north of me in Lindsay.

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15 2014, 05:03:00 PM »
I don't see how it can be the ignition cylinder..

I would also check for a dead cell in the battery, and make sure the batt terminals are clean.

New battery...new alternator...c onnections clean.

Offline earlbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15 2014, 05:11:30 PM »
Pulling the key out of an old GM lock is pretty common. Once they wear down enough you can pop them right out after the lock is turned.   In someways it's kinda handy if you need to run back in the house to grab something after you've already started the car.

It's actually not that hard to swap in a new lock. They're only about $13 at the fast food parts houses. The only trick is getting that damn steering lock plate reinstalled if you haven't built a 'special tool'.

Putting a new lock in won't have anything to do with your starting problem though. It's just a lock.

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15 2014, 05:16:37 PM »
I'll leave the lock well enuf alone. Thanks for the help everyone.

Offline Top Speed

• Don't Tread on Me
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17 2014, 02:17:47 PM »
It sounds like the solenoid does not have a heat shield on it and gets too hot.  I had the same issue with a 78 T/A.  I put the heat shield back on and it would start hot everytime.
Champion Irons w/T&D roller rockers, TA-61 turbo, 206/206 Comp Cam,  57 lb/hr Siemens Injectors, 3000 stall PTC, PTE Plenum w/RJC Power Plate, 70 mm Accufab Throttle Body, RJC 325 Megacooler, TurboTweak 5.7/ Alky Control w/M1 methanol, 23 psig on the street, Puddn' Power engine, Borla Exhaust

Chris

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #13 on: September 17 2014, 04:24:24 PM »
It sounds like the solenoid does not have a heat shield on it and gets too hot.  I had the same issue with a 78 T/A.  I put the heat shield back on and it would start hot everytime.

That's the reason we used to put Ford remote solenoids on them....used to be hell with headers if there was no heat shield installed
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline Scoobum

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17 2014, 07:24:19 PM »
I'm the third owner of the car...bone stock when I got it...with the exception of a true dual exhaust on it...with stock exhaust manifolds. Hoping to get some time on Sunday to slide underneath it and yank the starter. Hopefully the heat shield is still there.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal