Author Topic: New Member..er well sort of  (Read 10568 times)

Offline deathraider6996

• Turbo Street Limited
  • PSI: -1
  • "Pay attention to the small shit"
    • View Profile
New Member..er well sort of
« on: October 28 2013, 03:23:36 AM »
Hello ihadav8!  I'm Clinton and I'm supersix's son since he's been busy with his build I thought I would bring yall up to date and my future ideas on my(well sort of) 87 T. Lets see..well its supersixs car for now lol and ill take ownership around April 2015, hopefully earlier ;) It has t-tops with shot weatherstrippi ng that's definitely going to need to be the first thing taken care of when I'm down there next, very mild rust issues, needs paint but I don't really care about that. Interior is red and pretty shot but I like to think it has character lol. Current upgrades already done fuel pump hotwire kit, adjustable fuel pressure reg., 3" downpipe, full exhaust inunknown type, remote? Fuel pressure gauge that tucks nicely under windshield wiper :) painted valve covers and I'm forgetting something(s) I'm sure they will be addressed ;) so the reason I have to wait until the car is "legally" mine is my dad and I made a deal that if I did 4 or 3(as I remember it) years in the air force he will give the car to me at the end of that time. Sounds like a great deal to me especially since this is my dream car. I'm currently stationed in Tucson az, so I don't really get to see my car or better yet my family very much. So as the upgrades come they will take a while especially since my dad has his own gn project to worry about. Ok so that's enough of that crap heres the fun part or at least it is to me...THE FUTURE UPGRADES! Alright so my dad informed me that before anything(mechanical wise) we need to change the valve springs and I'm guessing were probably going to go with comp 980s. Next I believe were going to put in 60# injectors. Then a te-44 turbo if I'm correct. We have a torque converter were also going to drop in once we send the transmission off for a rebuild. And the later on upgrades are meth,rjc pp, boost controller, upeer and lower nodded c/a, and rear shocks. I get stationed in Japan in April so ill be able to save a good chunk of change so I can be young and dumb and throw it all at my car when I get back(just kidding dad). Well I'm sure that I forgot some stuff but ill be sure to keep you all up to date. I'm always looking for ideas, I want a high 11 car. Any input is appreciated. :)
1987 Buick Turbo-T
PT-51
.030 over
Built trans
60 lbs inj
212/212 flat tappet
Alky single nozzle
Walbro 340
Duttneck Intercooler
3200 Vigilante Converter
Boxed lower rears
Hotchkis Drag Bar
275/60-15 MT DR

Offline Pyro6

• Turbo Street Eliminator
  • PSI: 2
    • View Profile
Re: New Member..er well sort of
« Reply #1 on: October 28 2013, 07:09:50 AM »
Time sure does fly. Good luck with the car and thanks for your service. High 11's should be easy with your plans. :powersix:

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 34
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
« Reply #2 on: October 28 2013, 09:54:11 AM »
It will run well when it finally hits the road!  The wait will be worth it :)
Steve Wood

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

A lot of broken parts does not make you a racer; it makes you a slow learner.

Offline deathraider6996

• Turbo Street Limited
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28 2013, 04:11:44 PM »
Are 11s accesible with a te-44? Probably not before meth?
1987 Buick Turbo-T
PT-51
.030 over
Built trans
60 lbs inj
212/212 flat tappet
Alky single nozzle
Walbro 340
Duttneck Intercooler
3200 Vigilante Converter
Boxed lower rears
Hotchkis Drag Bar
275/60-15 MT DR

Offline TexasT

• Legend in my own mind
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 1
  • So, This black car is fast?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28 2013, 07:57:15 PM »
Are 11s accesible with a te-44? Probably not before meth?

How hard do you plan to launch it?
Tires, more specifically sticky tires?

There are much more modern turbos than that, unless you already own that one. What about a higher stall torque converter?

Engine making good compression? Healthy?

High 11s shouldn't be a problem.
Rich

"Goals without actions are just dreams."

Offline deathraider6996

• Turbo Street Limited
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29 2013, 12:17:00 AM »
Engine is pretty healthy I'd imagine. From driving around it seems healthy. Im planning on probably Nitto street drags or m/t street drags. We already have that turbo. We also have a higher stall torque converter but I don't know the specs off the top of my head. I was just curious if the te-44 was capable. I'm not worried if it isn't. 11s are just a goal and goals work out better when not rushed. I'd be thrilled with a low 12 saying how I've never raced at a dragstrip before.
1987 Buick Turbo-T
PT-51
.030 over
Built trans
60 lbs inj
212/212 flat tappet
Alky single nozzle
Walbro 340
Duttneck Intercooler
3200 Vigilante Converter
Boxed lower rears
Hotchkis Drag Bar
275/60-15 MT DR

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 234
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31 2013, 12:09:42 PM »
Some more info:

It has t-tops with shot weatherstrippi ng that's definitely going to need to be the first thing taken care of when I'm down there next, very mild rust issues,

I wouldn't bet these will end up being "minor", the bottom of the A pillars is rotten - It will be a PITA to get the rust repaired correctly.

Current upgrades already done fuel pump hotwire kit, adjustable fuel pressure reg., 3" downpipe, full exhaust inunknown type, remote? Fuel pressure gauge that tucks nicely under windshield wiper :) painted valve covers and I'm forgetting something(s)

JYP Hotwire Kit (Mark Martone)
JYP FP regulator (Mark Martone)
It has a generic 3" DP, and a Hooker 2.5" Cat back exhaust.
36lb injectors
Stock Turbo
Stock IC

Since I have the spare parts - when we finally put in a well built transmission, it will get a PT51 and Vigilante 10" converter I have from my spare motor. It will also get the 60lb injectors from that motor then too.

Yes - He gets the car after 4 years of continuous service, or until I get sick of storing it, and he has somewhere to store it.
FOUR years. FOUR.  :068:

Alright so my dad informed me that before anything(mechanical wise) we need to change the valve springs and I'm guessing were probably going to go with comp 980s. Next I believe were going to put in 60# injectors. Then a te-44 turbo if I'm correct. We have a torque converter were also going to drop in once we send the transmission off for a rebuild. And the later on upgrades are meth,rjc pp, boost controller, upeer and lower nodded c/a, and rear shocks. I get stationed in Japan in April so ill be able to save a good chunk of change so I can be young and dumb and throw it all at my car when I get back(just kidding dad). Well I'm sure that I forgot some stuff but ill be sure to keep you all up to date. I'm always looking for ideas, I want a high 11 car. Any input is appreciated. :)

First thing is to fix the short circuit that keeps the interior lights on, the repair the T-Tops, rust  and weather stripping. THEN get into the mechanics, starting with a perfect-as-possible tune. After all that (and other boring body repairs) we can start fiddling with Alky, etc.

The car already has an RJC Power plate and boost controller.

I love how he takes the car out when here on leave, and swears he's not doing burnouts. All I need to do is look at the rear tires. :P.

Trashing the already shitty transmission. :)

'87 GN, 60lb, TA49, THDP, FTP cam, T+ lots o' shit - SOLD
'07 Ford F150 Lariat 2WD, 5.4L 3v - 255k
'20 Kubota BX2380. FEL, 60" deck
'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy
'99 Kawasaki Bayou 400 4x4

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31 2013, 01:55:55 PM »
Engine is pretty healthy I'd imagine. From driving around it seems healthy. Im planning on probably Nitto street drags or m/t street drags. We already have that turbo. We also have a higher stall torque converter but I don't know the specs off the top of my head. I was just curious if the te-44 was capable. I'm not worried if it isn't. 11s are just a goal and goals work out better when not rushed. I'd be thrilled with a low 12 saying how I've never raced at a dragstrip before.

It has been done running on race gas with a 44, but alky is what it takes for most of us these days-that and some traction :)

The Nittos will last much longer on the street and be much safer as compared to the M"T's.  I would still go very slowly/easily if caught in the rain because there is not much tread on them.
Steve Wood

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31 2013, 01:56:57 PM »
throw that damn PT51 away or sell it to another mullet
Steve Wood

Offline SuperSix

• Administrator
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: 234
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31 2013, 02:20:38 PM »
throw that damn PT51 away or sell it to another mullet

Meh - it was free (kinda) and matched to the expensive converter I have too.
'87 GN, 60lb, TA49, THDP, FTP cam, T+ lots o' shit - SOLD
'07 Ford F150 Lariat 2WD, 5.4L 3v - 255k
'20 Kubota BX2380. FEL, 60" deck
'78 IH/Case 184 Lo-Boy
'99 Kawasaki Bayou 400 4x4

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31 2013, 02:50:40 PM »
given the history of the 51, I would not even store one in my shop
Steve Wood

Offline deathraider6996

• Turbo Street Limited
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01 2013, 02:17:46 AM »
Welp guys I was just thrashed on my knowledge of my own car LOL just goes to show that I'm still learning :/ you live, you learn. I'm always looking forward to working on the car, whether it body/luxury as I like to call it and the mechanics/fun part ;)

I never said I didn't do burnouts ;) I say I don't street race :) I definitely enjoy sneezing at other cars :)

I don't know why I thought it was a te-44

Four years, got it ;) its not like I have a choice in the matter I'm going to be military whether I like it or not lol

For tires Steve are you refrencing the Nitto nt555r? And is 275/60-15 a good size?

And I'm curious about rear shocks. Suggestions? Thanks Steve and thanks DAD! LOL
1987 Buick Turbo-T
PT-51
.030 over
Built trans
60 lbs inj
212/212 flat tappet
Alky single nozzle
Walbro 340
Duttneck Intercooler
3200 Vigilante Converter
Boxed lower rears
Hotchkis Drag Bar
275/60-15 MT DR

Offline Steve Wood

• Turbo Street Outlaw
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01 2013, 10:13:45 AM »
I prefer the 275/60-15 because it has a bit more sidewall and a longer footprint which, together, makes it bite better.  Length of patch is more important than width when it comes to bite.  And, yes, the 555R.  Now, if you are going to leave them on full time, being almost 28" tall instead of 26" tall like stock, they do make the speedometer read about 8% slow.  You can fix this by going to a 27 tooth gear on the tranny driven gear which is a three minute swap

On the turbo, the 51 had a short life and was replaced.  This was because they had a habit of melting the exhaust wheel which was followed by the fins either curling up or flying off locking things up and chucking metal into the engine at times when the compressor came to an immediate stop.  Don't be a penny wise and a pound foolish by gambling this one won't do it.  Almost free is not always free
Steve Wood

Offline Top Speed

• Don't Tread on Me
  • Turbo Street Outlaw
  • PSI: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01 2013, 11:06:00 AM »
I know someone that can do some welding and repair that rust spot! 
Champion Irons w/T&D roller rockers, TA-61 turbo, 206/206 Comp Cam,  57 lb/hr Siemens Injectors, 3000 stall PTC, PTE Plenum w/RJC Power Plate, 70 mm Accufab Throttle Body, RJC 325 Megacooler, TurboTweak 5.7/ Alky Control w/M1 methanol, 23 psig on the street, Puddn' Power engine, Borla Exhaust

Chris

Offline deathraider6996

• Turbo Street Limited
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01 2013, 03:14:00 PM »
Alright Steve thanks a lot great info. Any thoughts on rear shocks. I'm afraid I don't have a decision in the turbo choice. What's the lifespan of the pt51 before shit hits the fan? The motor its coming off of has apparently only 10000 miles on it? Or 15000 idk lol

I will need to fix my speedometer, I forgot what was wrong but it doesn't give a accurate number. It sortve waves and what's in the middle is the correct speed. Good to know on the 27 tooth
1987 Buick Turbo-T
PT-51
.030 over
Built trans
60 lbs inj
212/212 flat tappet
Alky single nozzle
Walbro 340
Duttneck Intercooler
3200 Vigilante Converter
Boxed lower rears
Hotchkis Drag Bar